Steven M. Sipple: Carnes' offseason improvement key for Huskers

http://huskerextra.c...54bd12a7cd.html

The comment was telling, one of the most telling from Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini all of last season.

Pelini said on Oct. 3 - two days after quarterback Taylor Martinez threw three interceptions at Wisconsin - that the gap separating Martinez and top backup Brion Carnes "is pretty wide right now."

Pelini no doubt hopes that gap has narrowed.

Martinez, for his own sake, should hope the disparity has been reduced.......

I found this statement interesting...

"Nebraska last season ran the ball 68 percent of the time. Pelini wants more balance. Which makes sense, considering the ample talent at the receiver positions."

Part of the reason that percentage of run is so high is because NU was leading late in most games. This tells me that Bo wants to be a predominently passing team unless we're leading late in the game. I would think as a 'defensive' guy, he'd be more interested in taking advantage of playing keep away and running the clock.

I would read that statement to say that Bo just wants a better overall passing game. We had bad routes and dropped balls by the WRs, and we had over- and underthrows and missed reads by the QB. We polish that up, with guys like Bell, Enunwa and Turner, not to mention Kyler Reed, and you have a pretty scary passing game.

I would read that statement to say that Bo just wants a better overall passing game. We had bad routes and dropped balls by the WRs, and we had over- and underthrows and missed reads by the QB. We polish that up, with guys like Bell, Enunwa and Turner, not to mention Kyler Reed, and you have a pretty scary passing game.

Not to mention, rewatching several games T Mart overlooked much simpler throws for tougher HR passes. Hopefully for him detailed film study will improve his overall field vision for next year, noticing running lanes as well. I'm pulling for him to do so.

Not to mention, rewatching several games T Mart overlooked much simpler throws for tougher HR passes. Hopefully for him detailed film study will improve his overall field vision for next year, noticing running lanes as well. I'm pulling for him to do so.

Yep, I've been rewatching last season and saw that on multiple occasions again. I honestly think he's given pre-snap reads and he just makes them much of the time, without truly diagnosing the defense and taking what's available. He did improve over 2010, though, so maybe he will make that jump.

If not, I really want to see Carnes push him hard for the starting position. In years past with only one decent WR and a dominant running game I wouldn't care so much, but I truly think this is a receiving corps that has a chance to be special - one of the best we've ever had. I would hate to see that talent wasted because we went with a run-first QB who cannot learn the passing game.

This is a big year of spring and fall practice for Nebraska no doubt about it. This was a pretty young group of WR's out there last year. An inexperienced Taylor Martinez, and a first year OC. All those excuses pretty much go out the window this season. Taylor, if named starter (which appears obvious until proven otherwise) will be in his 3rd year at QB. These receivers will have had ample time to improve, and Beck should be able to have everyone on the same page for the most part in his second season. Aside from any major injuries, in year two, the system should be understood by all 11 starters and hopefully more players than that. As I've said before, if these guys aren't getting it by the beginning of this season, then maybe things should be broken down and simplified for them. We'll see if that happens. I believe the offense heading into this season has no valid reason to not be successful. The talent is here, absolutely no doubt about it. It will all depend on Beck and Martinez. Martinez has got to take that magical junior season step. Beck has got to put him in a position to succeed. If he can't succeed with Taylor, then it's pretty clear where I stand on that. We have to be able to throw the damn ball either way you look at it. We can bitch about WR's dropping balls, but this passing game never developed any timing or rhythm all season long. Timing is a huge key for WR, he should know when to expect the ball and where to expect it. That just plain wasn't there. Not every throw is going to be perfect, but gimme a break, there has to be some consistency. As far as I'm concerned, the failure in the passing game is why I won't come down on the offensive lineman as hard as most of you do. It's pretty damn hard to play offensive line when 9 guys on the defense know your going to be running the ball on 1st on 2nd down every single time you have it. 68% translates to 2-3 plays you are running. Kind of makes sense doesn't it.....run, run, incomplete pass, punt. Kind of easy to load 8 guys in the box, and play run all game long. The passing game was most effective in the deep ball, usually because the opposing safeties had their eyes in the backfield waiting for the run. Can't blame them for expecting it.

Yep, I've been rewatching last season and saw that on multiple occasions again. I honestly think he's given pre-snap reads and he just makes them much of the time, without truly diagnosing the defense and taking what's available. He did improve over 2010, though, so maybe he will make that jump.

If not, I really want to see Carnes push him hard for the starting position. In years past with only one decent WR and a dominant running game I wouldn't care so much, but I truly think this is a receiving corps that has a chance to be special - one of the best we've ever had. I would hate to see that talent wasted because we went with a run-first QB who cannot learn the passing game.

Agree with your 2nd paragraphs, too much talent not to give opposing Ds fits.

I think the offense this year is going to be a close resemblance of Kansas 2007. If Taylor has improved his throwing motion & accuracy over the off-season I think we are going to see more quick drop back passes, play-action passes looking for the deep route first, and we will probably see more option elements than what Kansas ran in 2007.

QB depth this year:

Taylor - starter

Brion - backup

kellogg - 3rd string

brokemeier - 4th string

Armstrong - redshirts... has a lot to learn and needs a mental year.

Even if something goes horribly bad with the QB position, I do not see Bo changing this order. I think Tommy will either play 2 or 3 games with minimal snaps and lose his redshirt or he will redshirt.

QB depth this year:

Taylor - starter

Brion - backup

kellogg - 3rd string

brokemeier - 4th string

Armstrong - redshirts... has a lot to learn and needs a mental year.

Even if something goes horribly bad with the QB position, I do not see Bo changing this order. I think Tommy will either play 2 or 3 games with minimal snaps and lose his redshirt or he will redshirt.

I'm more inclined to think TA will redshirt, but who knows. I'm with you on your depth chart projection.