Steven M. Sipple: Carnes' offseason improvement key for Huskers

Ahhh, I see. When you said the fans, I thought that included yourself. That's kind of the same broad term Sipple used in his article the other day huh? Painting an entire fan base with one brush is pretty hard to do. Now I see your talking about those people. Darn them types anyway, getting all excited about certain players. They should only get excited about Taylor at quarterback and no one else, what the hell is wrong with those people. I'm glad there are people like us to keep them in line.

What?

When a Huskerboard moderator takes a sh#t......does it stink?

Ahhh, I see. When you said the fans, I thought that included yourself. That's kind of the same broad term Sipple used in his article the other day huh? Painting an entire fan base with one brush is pretty hard to do. Now I see your talking about those people. Darn them types anyway, getting all excited about certain players. They should only get excited about Taylor at quarterback and no one else, what the hell is wrong with those people. I'm glad there are people like us to keep them in line.

What?

Everybody generalizes the word "fan" on this board, often not including themselves in that term. I'm sure you've done it before, as I'm sure I have.

What?

Everybody generalizes the word "fan" on this board, often not including themselves in that term. I'm sure you've done it before, as I'm sure I have.

Very true. Very true. It's so hard to give too much attention to these articles by Sipple. I always give them more attention than they deserve. I like him as a guy, at least from what I've seen on Big Red Wrap up and various other places. He just seems to be the main outlet for all this "coach speak" type of stuff. All the crap that the coaches spew in the offseason that means absolutely sh#t. Example, this article, the "even keel" article, or the article where Bo told him he's in no hurry to hire a new DB coach..........just to hire one two days later. Or when Bo told him he expected Crick back in practice any day now.....just to find out Crick was having surgery and done for the year about eight hours later. I find it hard to focus on the topic so I jump in on my favorite Huskerboard member, Knapplc, and I give him a little sh#t to pass the time. No harm no foul. These coaches are just so full of sh#t, I'll believe nothing they say anymore, and I'll believe it when I see it. Sipple has a job to do, and that is to fill space in the newspaper, but holy cow, this sunshine pumping sh#t gets him nowhere in my book. Not that he cares.

Brokemeier can sling it, it would be nice to see what a true passing QB could do with the talent we have at receiver.

Yeah the kid has a great arm and throws really well on the run. He looks fundamentally sound. You never know how they'll look once they get to the next level, but from the little we have seen, it looks very promising. He could have played right away somewhere else but I think it shows some character that he chose to come here and fight it out. That injury was a real bummer. With Tommy Armstrong coming onto the roster, and Brion Carnes still battling, it just might never pan out for him though.

I'm sure the coaches will say the knee is good, but I had the chance to talk with a former trainer that's still pretty close with some guys on the team and his impression was it would be a while if ever to get that leg back 100%.

Da skers, you seem to be "connected" somehow. In the past you have seemed to know a thing or two before the rest of us. I hope you keep us in on the goings on this spring, (if you really do have any idea how it's playing out) this should be an interesting spring for Nebraska to say the least.

What?

Very true. Very true. It's so hard to give too much attention to these articles by Sipple. I always give them more attention than they deserve. I like him as a guy, at least from what I've seen on Big Red Wrap up and various other places. He just seems to be the main outlet for all this "coach speak" type of stuff. All the crap that the coaches spew in the offseason that means absolutely sh#t. Example, this article, the "even keel" article, or the article where Bo told him he's in no hurry to hire a new DB coach..........just to hire one two days later. Or when Bo told him he expected Crick back in practice any day now.....just to find out Crick was having surgery and done for the year about eight hours later. I find it hard to focus on the topic so I jump in on my favorite Huskerboard member, Knapplc, and I give him a little sh#t to pass the time. No harm no foul. These coaches are just so full of sh#t, I'll believe nothing they say anymore, and I'll believe it when I see it. Sipple has a job to do, and that is to fill space in the newspaper, but holy cow, this sunshine pumping sh#t gets him nowhere in my book. Not that he cares.

knapplc and I had a conversation about this actually, comparing some of the different reporters in the area.

Sipple isn't a 'gotcha' journalist. He takes what the coaches give him (which, admittedly, isn't a lot) and tries to turn it into something his readers will enjoy. I think Sipple is an intelligent guy who just sees the brighter side of many situations. It kind of baffles me that people think a journalist needs to be on the more critical side of objectivity or else they're a bad journalist. I'm not saying you think that, but it's the impression I get. What's wrong with being on the brighter side of objectivity, ya know? If people want the 'gotcha' journalism, they should read Chatelain's stuff.

Like with the Sadler situation - Sipple is an even keel guy. But when he came out a few weeks ago and wrote an article about the basketball program, essentially saying he think it's time for Sadler to go, I think that's really saying something. And as a reader, I crave those sorts of pieces from Sipple. Because when he says something like that, I know he really means it and has spent a lot of time thinking about it.

I don't believe your criticisms are wrong, I just take a different approach to them.

• Fire 2

knapplc and I had a conversation about this actually, comparing some of the different reporters in the area.

Sipple, flat-out, isn't really a 'gotcha' journalist. He takes what the coaches give him (which, admittedly, isn't a lot) and tries to turn it into something his readers will enjoy. I think Sipple is an intelligent guy who just sees the brighter side of many situations. It kind of baffles me that people think a journalist needs to be on the more critical side of objectivity or else they're a bad journalist. I'm not saying you think that, but it's the impression I get. What's wrong with being on the brighter side of objectivity, ya know? If people want the 'gotcha' journalism, they should read Chatelain's stuff.

Like with the Sadler situation - Sipple is an even keel guy. But when he came out a few weeks ago and wrote an article about the basketball program, essentially saying he think it's time for Sadler to go, I think that's really saying something. And as a reader, I crave those sorts of pieces from Sipple. Because when he says something like that, I know he really means it and has spent a lot of time thinking about it.

I don't believe your criticisms are wrong, I just take a different approach to them.

Now that's lookin' on the bright side (if link doesn't work, go to Youtube and search "bright side of life monte python")

I agree with everything you just said Enhance89. Just think this video is classic.

By the way, how in the world does a person embed a YouTube video so someone can just click on a screen shot and make it play?

Just paste the basic URL into the text box and it'll work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

If you have anything else in the URL, like this "&feature=related" it won't work.

So the above code will work (if I took it out of the code box), but this one won't work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6MTnAfds2Y&feature=related

Who doesn't think an improved Carnes won't help. A reliable back up seems to be something we haven't had since Brook backed Tommie.

A much improved Carne will give Martinez competition, something IMO, Martinez hasn't had sine day 1. It will give Bo options, again something I feel this staff hasn't had.

If Bo wants more passing (balance) I am unsure if Martinez will consistently be able to do that. The key to next year has got to be getting the D out of the box.

Sadly, IMO, I really haven't seen any QB improvement under Bo/Wats or Bo/Beck. This hurts Martinez, Carnes, Armstrong, RKIII ETC......(not arguing Martinez played smarter last year, but not athletically improved)

Look for Brokemier to make a strong move with his arm.Decent foot speed,also.Could be a sleeper.

He'll be this year's Spring Game Brion Carnes. He'll have a few good throws and he'll get the fans all excited and.... we'll barely see him again. Happens every year.

I would hope you would base your judgment of a player on more than just a few throws in a spring game.

Not talking about me, talking about the threads that crop up every Spring.

Does this mean Robin Miller isn't going to play AGAIN! Dammit!

This hurts Martinez, Carnes, Armstrong, RKIII ETC......(not arguing Martinez played smarter last year, but not athletically improved)

I'm not wholly convinced Martinez was 100% in 2011. This is purely conjecture on my part, but after watching the way he played in 2010 compared to 2011, something was off in his athleticism. And I'm not just talking defenses being wise to his act. He didn't look like he had the same speed.

The eye test shows that he just seems more like the kind of QB we're looking for.

Throws a nice catchable ball. I thought he ran the option in a game earlier last season and I was thinking "wow, oh yea, that's how it should look!". He didn't outrun the running back, got wrapped up and pitched it perfectly. He seems to have a great sense of timing.

This hurts Martinez, Carnes, Armstrong, RKIII ETC......(not arguing Martinez played smarter last year, but not athletically improved)

I'm not wholly convinced Martinez was 100% in 2011. This is purely conjecture on my part, but after watching the way he played in 2010 compared to 2011, something was off in his athleticism. And I'm not just talking defenses being wise to his act. He didn't look like he had the same speed.

You could be right about not being 100%. but I thought it looked more like he was thinking too much out there. Or maybe even being coached to play more conservative. It always seemed like when it looked like he had a lane to break one, one person always had a good angle.