When Bo Pelini Talks, People Hear What They Want To Hear

Steven M. Sipple of the Lincoln Journal-Star sat down with Bo Pelini to discuss a lot of the

undercurrent topics of discussion following a somewhat disappointing 9-4 season in 2011. I call it somewhat disappointing because, frankly, nine wins is a pretty good season most places. But at Nebraska, when fans were thinking about playing in the Big Ten championship game and a BCS bowl game last season, falling short is disappointing. But that 9-4 record was still better than anything his predecessor did.

But what does Bill Callahan have to do with this? I don't think there is a Nebraska fan out there who doesn't think that Bo Pelini has done a better job ("in every way!") than Bill Callahan. That's not the point. The question is, can Bo Pelini do better? And that seems to be the undercurrent of conversation following the Capital One Bowl loss to South Carolina. After the game, the negative blowback against Pelini surprised me. I still don't think it's a large portion of the Nebraska fan base, but it's definitely larger than I thought it was on the morning of January 3rd.

I agree with much of the article except for the "hear what they want to hear" statement. For every legit misread of a Pelini statement, Pelini at the same time leaves enough not said, or says things in such a way at times, that allows for the opportunity to misread his statements.

The writers other points have nothing to do with how one interprets Pelini. Those comments show how one (media) can twist anything based on whether you like the guy/want him to succeed or for marketing/entertainment purposes.

I agree with much of the article except for the "hear what they want to hear" statement. For every legit misread of a Pelini statement, Pelini at the same time leaves enough not said, or says things in such a way at times, that allows for the opportunity to misread his statements.

The writers other points have nothing to do with how one interprets Pelini. Those comments show how one (media) can twist anything based on whether you like the guy/want him to succeed or for marketing/entertainment purposes.

Which is hearing what you want to hear. It means you've made up your mind, and only see facts that support your theory, versus basing your theory on all the facts.

• Fire 2

Which is hearing what you want to hear. It means you've made up your mind, and only see facts that support your theory, versus basing your theory on all the facts.

Exactly. And the only thing worse is that there is such a consumer market for such nonsense. Critical thinking is sorely lacking in this culture. Instead, people listen to what the man on the radio/TV/blog/newspaper says and regurgitate it. The worst is when you hear some goof on TV calling a game, saying something ridiculous, then the next week read it here on HuskerBoard. It doesn't happen often, but it's happened.

Exactly. And the only thing worse is that there is such a consumer market for such nonsense. Critical thinking is sorely lacking in this culture. Instead, people listen to what the man on the radio/TV/blog/newspaper says and regurgitate it. The worst is when you hear some goof on TV calling a game, saying something ridiculous, then the next week read it here on HuskerBoard. It doesn't happen often, but it's happened.

Oh you mean like when Joe Tessitore said Bo was volcanic during the break, but there was no factual evidence in the form of a replay to prove it and every image afterwards he look pretty reserved?

That's true, I forgot about that, but I'm talking more about analysis of a player's traits, or abilities. I cannot cite any examples, though. Bad brain day.

I know what you meant. I can't think of anything either other than Ed idiot-ham and his comments, but most everyone here agreed that his comments were out of line.

I guess you could say The Poke in College Station and Taylor "leaving" the team after that game rumors. That was just Husker Board/Nation run a muck on it's own more than the media starting the firestorm.

That's true, I forgot about that, but I'm talking more about analysis of a player's traits, or abilities. I cannot cite any examples, though. Bad brain day.

I know what you meant. I can't think of anything either other than Ed idiot-ham and his comments, but most everyone here agreed that his comments were out of line.

I guess you could say The Poke in College Station and Taylor "leaving" the team after that game rumors. That was just Husker Board/Nation run a muck on it's own more than the media starting the firestorm.

I'm thinking more like Matt Millen's daft analysis of our players, for which he clearly did all of five minutes worth of research, and when he would come down on a player for something we'd have that come out on the board the next week, near enough to a quote that it was recognizable as Millen's derp. And I greatly apologize for not being able to remember an example. I just recall it happening, and face-palming in RL.

I'm thinking more like Matt Millen's daft analysis of our players, for which he clearly did all of five minutes worth of research, and when he would come down on a player for something we'd have that come out on the board the next week, near enough to a quote that it was recognizable as Millen's derp. And I greatly apologize for not being able to remember an example. I just recall it happening, and face-palming in RL.

I stopped listening to Millen after the second game he called 3 years ago, so I honestly couldn't remember anything he's said. You're right though, he does say the stupidest sh#t sometimes and everything is some how tied into the NFL, and every player on either team is going to be playing on Sundays. I swear he just looks at the hot topic sheet and doesn't bother to review old games or talk to the coaches to prep for a game. I think he's favorite line this year was that our secondary was our strength. The number say they weren't terrible but I think we all know there were some glaring holes back there.

Sometimes I think we are quick to forget that this is only Bo's 5th year. Nowadays, that makes him a "grizzled veteran", but in the world of head coaches, he's still getting his legs under him. He's still trying to find out what does and doesn't work. I'm not trying to make any excuses for past failures or laud his successes, just merely trying to point out, he's got a long ways to go.

Not sure I agree with a lot of this but it what it is and more importantly Bo is who is, he'll need to grow and hopefully in the future saying Bo is who is he will have more a positive tone than it does now, concerning the fans, media, and coaching.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with. He lays out specific examples and facts. Unless you're saying you disagree with facts.