Homosexuality - Choice? or Genetic?

Homosexuality  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this question often is posed as the critical deciding factor on whether the group should be protected or not. That doesn't make sense to me. There is nothing damaging about it and gays should have their rights and be protected from discrimination, regardless.

I don't know what the scientific knowledge in this area is. IMO, it's just sexuality -- everyone's got it and it's not really any different for any of us. Sure people have different preferences, maybe some of that is genetic, or cultural, or whatever it is -- so are preferences for foods or music. If it's a choice, it is one that ought to be respected by those who choose differently, and celebrated by those who make it.

There is literally zero harm that comes to us from it. Ironically, those who fear it will destroy society are the ones who are actually doing the damage. So I don't see this question as anything more than a matter of curiosity.

My roommate is a homosexual. However, there's absolutely no aspect of his life that would have made him "choose to be gay." He has fantastic parents who support him and his decisions, he's an excellent student, is in a caring relationship and has good friends. I grew up with the kid and know him better than anybody, probably even better than his own parents. There's no 'issue' in his life that led him to be gay.

The problem with this kind of talk is that it treats being gay as a problem. It's definitely not the majority preference, but why in the world should there need to be issues that would cause him to make a choice? Why does being an excellent student and having a good life and upstanding family mean that one should not be gay?

Otherwise, I am completely with you on this one, carl.

Isn't the main point that we "live and let live," not where homosexuality comes from? Sure, the roots of homosexuality are fine for discussion - as long as we don't use that conversation to invalidate who someone is.

I haven't commented on this topic much, but I have read the conversation. Good stuff so far. It's telling that we're having a conversation where the majority of us aren't homosexual, yet the tenor of the posts is acceptance, understanding, information. We've progressed beyond the slurs and the total lack of acceptance for the most part. I'm very happy with the progress we're making as a society. I hope it continues, until we get to the point where homosexuality is as accepted as any other form, and we simply have no reason to talk about it.

I hope I don't get hated on, but I really hope that we don't get to that point in society...

You hope that you don't get treated the way you treat gays, you mean?

haha +1 that is a good one. That's not what I mean though. I just don't agree with it and don't think that it's right. Doesn't mean that I'm hateful or violent toward gay people. I just try and stay away from them.

Doesn't mean that I'm hateful or violent toward gay people. I just try and stay away from them.

That's actually a good plan. I have this gay friend and I one day at lunch we reached for the hot sauce at the same time and our hands touched. I was SO CLOSE to catching the gay. Of course I went to my doctor right away and got checked out, but it's OK - I'm still straight. I was like, WHEW!! Dodged a bullet there. And since then whenever I'm hanging with her I always wear gloves. You just can't be too safe.

PS - sorry, HS. Just funnin' with ya. ;)

There is literally zero harm that comes to us from it. Ironically, those who fear it will destroy society are the ones who are actually doing the damage. So I don't see this question as anything more than a matter of curiosity.

And in all reality I think that is what those who are doing the research are--just curious. I think those researchers get attached to those in society who use their results to say, "Look, we can cure 'gayness'!" You ask a question because you're curious as to its answer [when talking about researching] How your results are interpreted outside of your own interpretation is beyond your control.

It's like Karl Marx and Marxism.

The problem with this kind of talk is that it treats being gay as a problem. It's definitely not the majority preference, but why in the world should there need to be issues that would cause him to make a choice? Why does being an excellent student and having a good life and upstanding family mean that one should not be gay?

Otherwise, I am completely with you on this one, carl.

I think you misunderstood what I was responding to. HuskerShark said that every gay person he knew was gay because they had some problem in their life. I brought up my roommate to showcase that there's no problem in his life, and he's still gay.

My point is that you can have a great upbringing and still be gay, or have a horrible upbringing and still be gay. I don't think people "turn gay" because they have problems in their life.

Oh, my bad. Thank you for clarifying! I did misunderstand.

haha +1 that is a good one. That's not what I mean though. I just don't agree with it and don't think that it's right. Doesn't mean that I'm hateful or violent toward gay people. I just try and stay away from them.

Well, that and you hope we never get to the point, as society as whole, where homosexuality is accepted.

I can understand your personal qualms, and that you aren't hateful or violent, but you did express your hope that gay people are never accepted by society.

Well, that and you hope we never get to the point, as society as whole, where homosexuality is accepted.

I can understand your personal qualms, and that you aren't hateful or violent, but you did express your hope that gay people are never accepted by society.

I won't deny that. I think it's wrong. Simple as that. Others can think what they want, and so can I.

Homosexuals are people, too, regardless of whether you accept their lifestyle choices or not. I don't understand why anyone would want to "stay away from them." It's not like all homosexual men/women are attracted to every single same gender person in the world. "We have standards and feel emotions, too, we just feel them towards the same sex." - direct quote from roommate.

You don't have to accept, or agree with, how they choose to live their life - but, I personally believe you still have the moral obligation to treat them no different than any other human being in the world. It just kind of sounds like some people would "keep away from" them because they're afraid they might contract homosexuality like it's a disease, or that by keeping away from them they are denying their existence as a human. I don't see what a makes a homosexual any less desirable of a person than anybody on this board.

Do you keep away from Muslims with turbans wrapped around their heads, in the off-chance they might be strapping a six pack of TNT? Same concept, same principle. It's stereotyping and discriminating.

Side note: I'm pleasantly surprised by this thread. I apologize because I expected a homosexual thread on a primarily sports oriented message board to be a heated discussion with many very homophobic participants. I'm sorry. I wonder what this topic would have looked like ten years ago? I know that my views would have been very, very, different.

Good talk, guys. ;)

I won't deny that. I think it's wrong. Simple as that. Others can think what they want, and so can I.

Yes, that's very well true. But I think the problem comes when you have a desire -- maybe a strong one -- for others to think the a certain way, one that causes stress and damage to the lives of this group of people to whom you are, as you say, not hateful. Isn't that a little bit hateful?

Is that influenced by your religious teachings? Just curious.

So does this apply to the religion thread as well?

Partly, but mostly from the old-fashioned way that I was raised. Homosexuality would never be accepted with open arms in my household, and it will be the same way if/when I have kids in a few years. Luckily for me, I have a girl who agrees with me on the issue, as well as pretty much every other issue. It doesn't mean that I treat gay people differently or whatever you might take away from it, but I have a similar stance with Ron Brown on the whole thing.