Homosexuality - Choice? or Genetic?

Homosexuality  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Partly, but mostly from the old-fashioned way that I was raised. Homosexuality would never be accepted with open arms in my household, and it will be the same way if/when I have kids in a few years. Luckily for me, I have a girl who agrees with me on the issue, as well as pretty much every other issue. It doesn't mean that I treat gay people differently or whatever you might take away from it, but I have a similar stance with Ron Brown on the whole thing.

What if your kid is gay? I just about guarantee your attitude will change. You will love your child like nobody's business, gay, straight or otherwise. And you'll wonder how you ever felt this way in the first place. Dick Cheney loves his daughter, and she's very openly gay. Don't paint yourself into a virtual corner at this point, is all I'm saying.

I won't deny that. I think it's wrong. Simple as that. Others can think what they want, and so can I.

Is that influenced by your religious teachings? Just curious.

I won't deny that. I think it's wrong. Simple as that. Others can think what they want, and so can I.

So does this apply to the religion thread as well?

Partly, but mostly from the old-fashioned way that I was raised. Homosexuality would never be accepted with open arms in my household, and it will be the same way if/when I have kids in a few years. Luckily for me, I have a girl who agrees with me on the issue, as well as pretty much every other issue. It doesn't mean that I treat gay people differently or whatever you might take away from it, but I have a similar stance with Ron Brown on the whole thing.

What if one of your kids turned out to be gay? Would you not accept them with open arms?

-edit- whoops, knapplc beat me to it. Great minds...

What if your kid is gay? I just about guarantee your attitude will change. You will love your child like nobody's business, gay, straight or otherwise. And you'll wonder how you ever felt this way in the first place. Dick Cheney loves his daughter, and she's very openly gay. Don't paint yourself into a virtual corner at this point, is all I'm saying.

What if one of your kids turned out to be gay? Would you not accept them with open arms?

I believe it's a choice, and they will be let known that making a choice to be gay is not okay.

Now, if one happens to turn gay, 1 of 2 things will happen:

1) I will feel that I failed him/her as a parent

OR

2) I will change my perspective on whether it is a choice or genetic

agreed. Because it just shows that there is a limit to your love for your children. Which actually frightens me that someone would say something like that. EVEN IF you believe it's a choice...your child's "choice" would result in them not being accepted with open arms into your family. I'm sorry to say it, but I believe you've already failed as a parent from the get go.

• Fire 2

To think that being gay is a choice is just homophobes in fear that they might be made gay. Like the running joke Colbert has about hollywood and the media trying to make him gay. I honestly think that a many of the biggest homophobes are in the closet themselves.

I have worked with and gone to school with several gay people, and in fact I have a gay cousin. They have had a wide variety of experiences growing up, some had home issues, others had great parents, some in between. I'm sure none of them chose to be gay. Many of the guys I know grew an interest in other men at the same ages that strait guys started staring at boobs.

Only a complete fool would think someone would pick a life as tough as gays have tended to have it. They still don't have all the rights strait people do, and in many parts of this country (to say nothing of other nations) have reason to actually fear for thier safety. So you do end up with reasons for needing ordinances like the one being debated in Omaha this week.

My cousin was accepted by our large extended family without any issues. I'm sure some people, like my grandma, it was harder for but he was still the same person they knew for his whole life. The biggest issue anyone ahs with him is he doesnt come to enough family gatherings, people want him around more, he just had a bit of an aversion to large groups of people in general.

I believe it's a choice, and they will be let known that making a choice to be gay is not okay.

OR

You do realize that studies have shown teens in the LGBT community are 30 to 40 percent more likely to commit suicide? And that they have a higher suicide rate than any other suicide sub-group?

Your attitude is the exact reason why people fear their sexuality, and end up taking their lives because of it. It doesn't logically make sense for the majority of homosexuals to choose it. Like I said earlier, would you willingly choose to live with no arms/legs?

• Fire 1

OR

What if your belief is wrong and you tell your child that it is not OK to be gay even though they are gay? How do you think that will affect them? I can't imagine being told by my parents that it is NOT ok that I'm straight. Yikes.

Psychology of people and how they come about making decisions is much more complex than any of you give it credit for.

And if there was a blueprint for it psychologists would beable to give a reason why someone is gay and what influenced that choice. They can't.

Psychology of people and how they come about making decisions is much more complex than any of you give it credit for.

In that case, what complex decisions to people go through that eventually lead them to the ultimate conclusion that they're homosexual? Or that they choose to be homosexual?

Good grief. That is a tremendously arrogant statement. Shark, you're what? Half my age? You can't just pop something like that off and expect to be taken seriously.

I'm curious - of those five people who said homosexuality is a choice, how would you describe your religious beliefs?

Similarly, for those who said it's in genes or 'other',how would you describe your religious beliefs?

And if there was a blueprint for it psychologists would beable to give a reason why someone is gay and what influenced that choice. They can't.

Not necessarily. The fact that you think that proves my point.

Good grief. That is a tremendously arrogant statement. Shark, you're what? Half my age? You can't just pop something like that off and expect to be taken seriously.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what he means by it.

Thanks for that, but I don't see how it's arrogant. It's 100% true, and the reason I said it is because the comment going against the thought/belief that homosexuality is a choice is this line right here which several people here have used:

"Why would someone choose to be gay knowing that they would be choosing a more difficult lifestyle that is not widely accepted by others?"

Wouldn't life be easy if it were only that simple?