Bo's Way: Changing positions on the team

This struck me today when Bo was talking about Heard moving to DB and when Turner was brought up moving back to QB. Then i also threw in Stanley Baptiste from last year.

How does Bo and his staff work with changing positions on the team?

I guess with Stanley he had a year or two working at the WR position and we need playmakers at the DB spot when it came to Ohio St.

But the Heard move and Turner move almost seem like two of a kind.

Heard worked only 1 year at the RB before given the opportunity to move to DB. So why wouldn't Turner who worked 1 year at the WR not get an opportunity to move to QB?

Bo has spoken about when they approach someone on the team about a position change, they let the kid decide ultimately if that is something they are willing to do. But what if the kid wants to change spots? Is Bo just as open on the idea?

I guess my main point on Turner is, who is really tugging the strings when it comes to Turner staying at the WR spot? Is it that Bo/Tim not want Turner to play the QB spot and stick with WR/returning kicks? Or does not Turner want to stay and work on the WR spot and not give QB a shot?

I think that part of it has to be there assessment of the position change. I wish I could say with some certainty, what would cause them to want a kid to switch positions. But I'm guessing that there would be something that would be seen during practice that could be the impetus for them to decide that a position change may be beneficial.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husker_Extra_Group/Husker_Extra/blog/focus_for_turner_honing_receiver_skills.html

"We'll see. That isn't something we're thinking about doing on the surface," Pelini said. "But we know he's a guy that can always move there and be over there if we need him for some snaps. But we feel good about the quarterback position and how we have it set up. And Jamal, first things first, we want to get him honed up at the receiver spot so he can continue to grow. He hasn't played there for a long time. So we want to give him the best chance to let that talent come through."

Offensive coordinator Tim Beck echoed those thoughts later in the press conference.

"I think Bo makes a really great point when he says in order for the kid to be an electrifying, playmaking wide receiver/punt returner/kick returner guy, we've got to give him that chance first," Beck said. "I think if I had to Game 6 ... put him back (at quarterback) for the plays that we have repped him, because he has a very small package, he could do it. And that's not to say we'll never put him in there in practice, because every now and then I throw him in there."

IMHO, JT is best served by playing wr, the qb's at N don't equate to the pros. He has the potential to be outstanding at wr and the possibility to play at the next level. It's in Jamal's best interest to switch positions, and excel there. GBR

[quote name='SkersRule' timestamp='1331

243886' post='930989]I think Chase Rome should be moved to WR and Eric Martin to OC. Those are about the only position changes that haven't been made thus far.

Sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm, negativity serves no one, it only serves as conversation fodder to get reactions,

[quote name='SkersRule' timestamp='1331

243886' post='930989]I think Chase Rome should be moved to WR and Eric Martin to OC. Those are about the only position changes that haven't been made thus far.

Sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm, negativity serves no one, it only serves as conversation fodder to get reactions,

It was a flip comment that is better described as hyperbole. And isn't conversation fodder to "get reactions" the primary function of internet message boards to begin with?

This struck me today when Bo was talking about Heard moving to DB and when Turner was brought up moving back to QB. Then i also threw in Stanley Baptiste from last year.

How does Bo and his staff work with changing positions on the team?

I guess with Stanley he had a year or two working at the WR position and we need playmakers at the DB spot when it came to Ohio St.

But the Heard move and Turner move almost seem like two of a kind.

Heard worked only 1 year at the RB before given the opportunity to move to DB. So why wouldn't Turner who worked 1 year at the WR not get an opportunity to move to QB?

Bo has spoken about when they approach someone on the team about a position change, they let the kid decide ultimately if that is something they are willing to do. But what if the kid wants to change spots? Is Bo just as open on the idea?

I guess my main point on Turner is, who is really tugging the strings when it comes to Turner staying at the WR spot? Is it that Bo/Tim not want Turner to play the QB spot and stick with WR/returning kicks? Or does not Turner want to stay and work on the WR spot and not give QB a shot?

They asked JT to move last year coming in with the understanding he'd still get QB reps last fall and he could determine where he wanted to play for 2012. He could get a solid shot at QB if he chose to do so. Sounds like they sat down and talked a few weeks ago and he would like to stay at WR. He thinks thats whats best for the team and for him in the long run. This was something decided just recently as a month ago Cotton had stated at a booster dinner that they had planned to have both TMart and JT taking snaps at QB during the game. I don't remember the quote but it was along the lines of "If Northwestern can find a way to get its two best QBs on the field contributing its dumb to think that we can't do it too. We plan to have both of those guys playing a lot of snaps this year (in reference to TM and JT).

I have wondered about JT at qb too. He was one of the top qb prospects coming in, and we have seen how electric he is on the field. I would think he could easily take the job from tmart, assuming he can throw it a little better. He certainly has more moves. I think there must be some other reason he was not really given a shot at qb, curious as to what it is....

I have wondered about JT at qb too. He was one of the top qb prospects coming in, and we have seen how electric he is on the field. I would think he could easily take the job from tmart, assuming he can throw it a little better. He certainly has more moves. I think there must be some other reason he was not really given a shot at qb, curious as to what it is....

This year or last year?