First Spring Practice - 2012

When is the next parctice?

Today, Wednesday and then one more before Spring Break.

As a side note, I watched some of the brief highlights and I think there's marked improvement in Martinez' mechanics. The challenge will be getting him to apply those footwork/route reading skills into game-time action, but that's the same challenge coaches face with every position (getting guys to apply practice principles to the field.)

Or, wait...I'm sorry. Aren't we supposed to be bashing Martinez, throwing together two arbitrary pictures to prove he's not getting any better, and claiming a 0-12 season? <_<

Nah..0-12 seems like a bit of a stretch, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere where anyone said this team wouldn't win a game with TM this year. A 3-4 loss year is what I am expecting. Another pretty decent year. If Taylor is "night and day" from last year, we could possibly be a 2-3 loss team. We lose a lot of key pieces defensively which is my main concern. Teams like Michigan, and Ohio State might be able to score some points on us. Northwstern with Coulter at QB could cause us some fits, since we've always seemed to struggle with mobile QB's.

I think you missed my not-so-subtle sarcasm in the last part.

You just never know anymore around here. You got people saying that Taylor could be catching the ball in that picture.......and I think they were serious. :facepalm: So I have surely learned that anything is possible around this place.

SXNDXWREPMYFPUI.20120310182704.JPG

I just noticed something odd here, look closely at this picture.........look at Taylor's eyes........he's watching the football-not the WR he's throwing to. It's odd because the football goes to where QB's eyes are looking. This picture tells me that Taylor still doesn't understand footwork, mechanics, or even basic fundamentals. As a soon to be redshirt junior three year starter that is completely unacceptable.

The football goes where the QB's eyes are looking.....and Taylor's eyes are looking AT the ball, what does this mean!!?!? Does the ball just hover there?

I THINK WE JUST DISCOVERED THE 2012

VERSION OF THE FUMBLEROOSKI. BCS

TITLE GAME, HERE WE COME!!!1!

In the picture of Taylor throwing he is clearly working on his mechanics and his release point. There probably isn't even a receiver downfield other than a coach or assistant. Look at his feet and his weight on his feet, he obviously isn't throwing to a receiver. It's a drill and could quite possibly be throwing into a bucket or something else. He's supposed to be watching his hand and the ball in that drill. Give the kid a break! People complain about his mechanics and how he needs to fix them and then when he does that gets picked apart too!

Not that I have a strong opinion one way or the other (it's 1 picture, who cares) - but when I work on my grip for my golf swing, I don't hit golf balls standing on 1 foot. If he's working on his motion, his feet are still pitiful. If he's truly working on something in this pic - he's got a lot of work left to do. My guess (hope) is he's just messing around playing catch w/ a receiver. But even then...he needs to get his mechanics drilled into his head, and reverting back to this even when just farting around isn't something the coaches should be allowing. I wonder why, of all the pics from this practice - we are seeing this one. What are the odds they put up the one w/ the terrible mechanics? I hope it's not because they all still look this way.

Man, there is a lot of fail in this thread, and seemingly lost on everyone is the fact that the media was actually there, watching practice, and THEY commented on Taylor's mechanics.

OWH

You guys can keep trying to break down still photos if you want, or you can take the word of the coach AND the media, who were all there watching everything live.

In the picture of Taylor throwing he is clearly working on his mechanics and his release point. There probably isn't even a receiver downfield other than a coach or assistant. Look at his feet and his weight on his feet, he obviously isn't throwing to a receiver. It's a drill and could quite possibly be throwing into a bucket or something else. He's supposed to be watching his hand and the ball in that drill. Give the kid a break! People complain about his mechanics and how he needs to fix them and then when he does that gets picked apart too!

Not that I have a strong opinion one way or the other (it's 1 picture, who cares) - but when I work on my grip for my golf swing, I don't hit golf balls standing on 1 foot. If he's working on his motion, his feet are still pitiful. If he's truly working on something in this pic - he's got a lot of work left to do. My guess (hope) is he's just messing around playing catch w/ a receiver. But even then...he needs to get his mechanics drilled into his head, and reverting back to this even when just farting around isn't something the coaches should be allowing. I wonder why, of all the pics from this practice - we are seeing this one. What are the odds they put up the one w/ the terrible mechanics? I hope it's not because they all still look this way.

Nothing to worry about. As Hercules said, Bo and the media said all is great. "Night and day"......I can't wait to see the new Taylor Martinez. If he's that good, then maybe my 3-4 loss season is way off base. Conference Championship here we come!

haha ^ - i sense some sarcasm. perhaps because none of us trust a thing Bo says when it comes to his coach-speak about players? for all we know Taylor could be sporting a prosthetic limb. and the media...well, we all know that "people hear what they want to hear" :) - and I think the media is going to be kissing Bo's a$$ for a while since he's playing nice, and finally letting them get an upskirt peek into practices. next practice report will include 5 star reviews for Cassidy, and Thorell holding down a starting spot because of his giant "leap" between seasons.

• Fire 1

haha ^ - i sense some sarcasm. perhaps because none of us trust a thing Bo says when it comes to his coach-speak about players? for all we know Taylor could be sporting a prosthetic limb. and the media...well, we all know that "people hear what they want to hear" :) - and I think the media is going to be kissing Bo's a$$ for a while since he's playing nice, and finally letting them get an upskirt peek into practices. next practice report will include 5 star reviews for Cassidy, and Thorell holding down a starting spot because of his giant "leap" between seasons.

By God, you can kid around with someone on here and not be taken literally on everything you say. +1 to you good sir.

Sorry to stray from another TM controversey, but I'm curious how many players participate in Spring practice, and how many are on the team in the fall?

I believe the only ones that aren't there are the incoming recruits that will show up this fall. This is spring so all of them are in school. In the fall some of the scholarship players arrive before walk-ons because they start practice before classes officially start which is why the numbers are different (105 max?)...but as of now this is the entire team I think.

I doubt you will hear that report. Cassidy and Thorell are both done with football here.

What conniption? I made an observation. You're the one who decided to get all pissy about it. Taylor's eyes are on the football not the WR he's throwing to. His mechanics are bad enough as is. I understand Taylor is the #1 QB and he'll be the #1 guy for the next two years. But we're not going to win our division much less the conference or BCS title with him at the QB spot. As long as he's the #1 QB we'll be a mere 9-3 team tops. If I end up being wrong I'll admit it but based on his past two seasons as a starter I'm not expecting anything more than what I've seen thus far. Watch RGIII, Andrew Luck and other top QBs throw and tell me if they are looking at the ball as it leaves their hand. I'm not bashing Taylor I'm making a legitimate observation and if you don't like it then that's your problem not mine.

i have to agree, it looks like he is focused on one of those planes that flies by with a banner......you know, "Eat at Applebee's"......at least he doesn't have his head up his ass!

In an unbelievable twist of irony.... Last weekend after the state girls basketball tourney, my son and nephew ran into Taylor at Applebees!! Forgive my interruption....please continue this inane conversation!!!

huskersmartinezpractice1.jpgdedhoarse

That bottom picture was against Western Kentucky. You really are reaching.

I s'pose I need to elaborate......in the top photo it's pretty obvious that TM has his eyes on the ball as he's releasing it, but who knows what he's doing at the time. I think he's just messing around with the ball during a down time. In the bottom photo (irregardless of the opponent) it's pretty obvious he has his eyes on a receiver downfield, and not on the ball.....