First Spring Practice - 2012

that being said, he limits us offensively, especially in crucial late game situations.

Was it him that limited us late in games or was it the play calling, or the offensive play as a whole on multiple levels? Look at the Northwestern game, yes you can say they had no defense, but he just about led an impossible comeback and was the biggest reason why we were even competitive in that game.

I know people can think what they want but he has so much potential even with a goofy throwing motion. If he improves as much this year as he did last, the sky's the limit. How quickly people forget; he was the biggest reason why we beat Okie lite the year before, and Lavonte may have sparked the biggest comeback in Husker history, but who ripped off an 18 yard touchdown run to capitalize on the turnover and then threw two long passes to tie it up?

Our lack of a true #2 QB last year really limited the play calling. I really think Bo knew they had to keep Martinez healthy at all costs or we lose Rex at RB as he moves to QB. It seemed Martinez played "scared" all last season. Kid is a competitor so I do not think that was by his design.

Receiver play, or lack off , really killed some games as did Beck and hi schizophrenic play calling ie Wisky. The D did us no favors in our losses either. Martinez is an easy guy as he is the QB. Look at Tommie, folks point to him as the reason for the MNC's, but he was surrounded by the best talent ever to see the field in college football. He is looked at as "the guy" because the QB was and always be the face of the Huskers.

We had a lot of glaring issues last year that really need to be shored up. Lack of penetration, D line rush, inability to contain a mobile QB, inability to really defend the middle of the field and then the really really ard stuff like catch the ball, remember the snap count, if you miss a block hit somebody, actually tackle and wrp up. The little things these guys have been doing since Pop Warner. If not, look for another 3-4 loss season.

Man, there is a lot of fail in this thread, and seemingly lost on everyone is the fact that the media was actually there, watching practice, and THEY commented on Taylor's mechanics.

OWH

You guys can keep trying to break down still photos if you want, or you can take the word of the coach AND the media, who were all there watching everything live.

i hope he is much improved, but the media is no judge or authority and this is his first practice, so it seems a little premature to say he is suddenly cured......

If that's what you actually think, then don't come in here and say that "It's going to be the same Taylor all season long." When you do that, you're the one prematurely jumping to a conclusion without any authority to do so. Then when somebody posts something that is evidence-based, you can't just change your tune to, "Well, I haven't seen enough evidence yet."

You don't have any evidence. You weren't at practice, there's no video from practice, only a couple still photos that say nothing. That's like taking a still photo of someone's golf swing and breaking down precisely what's wrong without taking the entire motion into account.

The idea that Taylor won't or can't improve his mechanics this offseason - there's absolutely no evidence to back that up, just cynicism. The media, which you claim is no judge or authority, was in fact at practice, watching live, and unlike the coach (who some posters here think of as a biased source), the media is seen as a relatively objective source. Writers at the Journal Star (known here as the sunshine pumpers) and at the Omaha World Herald (known here as the haters) said the exact same thing - that Taylor had spent the offseason working on his mechanics, and that it showed. They didn't say he was going to lead Nebraska to the national championship, or that he resembled Joe Montana out there - just that he had taken a step forward.

This thread was supposed to be about the first spring practice in 2012. In said practice, Taylor Martinez clearly showed some measure of improvement with his mechanics, especially his footwork - otherwise you wouldn't have heard three (four) (five) (six) separate sources all say unequivocally that he did.

Man, there is a lot of fail in this thread, and seemingly lost on everyone is the fact that the media was actually there, watching practice, and THEY commented on Taylor's mechanics.

OWH

You guys can keep trying to break down still photos if you want, or you can take the word of the coach AND the media, who were all there watching everything live.

i hope he is much improved, but the media is no judge or authority and this is his first practice, so it seems a little premature to say he is suddenly cured......

If that's what you actually think, then don't come in here and say that "It's going to be the same Taylor all season long." When you do that, you're the one prematurely jumping to a conclusion without any authority to do so. Then when somebody posts something that is evidence-based, you can't just change your tune to, "Well, I haven't seen enough evidence yet."

You don't have any evidence. You weren't at practice, there's no video from practice, only a couple still photos that say nothing. That's like taking a still photo of someone's golf swing and breaking down precisely what's wrong without taking the entire motion into account.

The idea that Taylor won't or can't improve his mechanics this offseason - there's absolutely no evidence to back that up, just cynicism. The media, which you claim is no judge or authority, was in fact at practice, watching live, and unlike the coach (who some posters here think of as a biased source), the media is seen as a relatively objective source. Writers at the Journal Star (known here as the sunshine pumpers) and at the Omaha World Herald (known here as the haters) said the exact same thing - that Taylor had spent the offseason working on his mechanics, and that it showed. They didn't say he was going to lead Nebraska to the national championship, or that he resembled Joe Montana out there - just that he had taken a step forward.

This thread was supposed to be about the first spring practice in 2012. In said practice, Taylor Martinez clearly showed some measure of improvement with his mechanics, especially his footwork - otherwise you wouldn't have heard three (four) (five) (six) separate sources all say unequivocally that he did.

you sound a little butthurt over my comments, but here is the history........his mechanics were horrific at the end of 2010 and in 2011 he showed more of the same......so why would he suddenly show night and day improvement between the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012?.......possible to improve, yes, but significantly?....game time play is under pressure, unlike practice.........we'll see, either way it still sounds like there is no solid backup, so he will be sliding again, instead of being a threat to take it to the house, which is really all hes' got.....

Let's get this thread back on track people!!! Some tidbits I have been hearing:

-Mike Marrow is a beast

-David Santos is just as good as advertised. (aka bigger version of Lavonte, quick, and instinctive)

-Taylor's MECHANICS AND FOOTWORK HAVE IMPROVED!!! Thank you Jesus! If he's able to demonstrate this during live games, this definitely may help not only himself, but the team.

-Brion is looking good, BUT DOESN'T hold a candle to Martinez in terms of knowledge and ability. Gap is still LARGE per Sean Callahan.

-Mo Seisay is a physical specimen. Looks like a safety playing corner.

-Lastly, I am not pooping so much. Whew....thank God......that is what I've got.

SXNDXWREPMYFPUI.20120310182704.JPG

What I find truly amazing throughout this thread is the most simple of answers that has been completely avoided.

Everyone assumes that Taylor is throwing the ball. Several talk about him looking right at the ball. Well, what does one do when they are catching the ball? I've always been taught to look the ball into my hands when catching.

Taylor doesn't have some magical pocket full of footballs to pass out to receivers. Someone does have to throw/hand/toss those balls back to him. And in the case that one of those balls was errantly thrown to Taylor, I'm sure a pose very similar to this would be achieved as he tried to catch the ball.

Come on people. Put down the razors. THis is day one of Spring football...

Wow, been gone a month, never missed a second. Same Sh#t different day. It would seem someone could find something positive every once in while.

If we have a QB problem, not sure we do, but if we truly do going into year three of his tenure, then we have a major coaching problem, lack of recruiting and development of players. It is getting really tiring listening to this kid get beat on every single second of the day. The man that puts him in this situation is the root of the problem, but no we never consider this. Follow like blind sheep, great guy, will lead Nebraska back, but is not capable according to some of producing or using the right QB. Year 5 he should be able to assess talent and put it on the field. If Taylor is the failure most seem to think he is, it starts at the top.

Move the topic to where it belongs. Get off the kid, he does not make the starting line up. He does what he is told, nothing more. Man I wonder how some of you would feel if your child was in this situation, doubtful you would make the coments you do now.

Thought I would look back in, hope springs eternal in the spring, but not here.

As big as a cluster-F as this thread devolved into, it's good to see you checking back in, skers. Don't give up on us. There's still hope.

Check in regularly. We need your wisdom. :thumbs

Oh yeah.....by the way....via twitter, Bill Belichick told Jamal Turner something along these lines, "I'll be back in Lincoln to look at you in 3 years." Sounds like Bill was impressed.

That's great. Hopefully we can utilize his skill set more this season.

<stuff>

photo-8827.jpg

Holy moly, Chaddy. Who is that looker in your profile pic!?!?

And that girl isn't bad looking, either. ;)

that's my future wife knapp lol. I am proposing to her in a few months ; P. We've been together for about 5 years now, had our struggles initially and then we both realized we really want to share lives together. She's a cool chick. Yeah...I know I'm sexy......haha chuckleshuffle

Oh yeah.....by the way....via twitter, Bill Belichick told Jamal Turner something along these lines, "I'll be back in Lincoln to look at you in 3 years." Sounds like Bill was impressed.

That's great. Hopefully we can utilize his skill set more this season.

I agree. He has evident talent. It was weird....Sean Callahan mentioned the post-Minnesota game and Jamal's comments about Taylor....he didn't directly say that he thinks that played a role in his decreased PT....but he did throw that in his conversation. Podcast with comments about Taylor, the o-line, the secondary, etc. Check it: http://huskersgameday.com/2012/03/11/huskersgameday-podcast-interview-with-sean-callahan-of-huskeronline-com/

Love hearing that about Jamal.

Trying to argue that is a picture of Taylor catching the ball seems like a huge stretch. It's true we don't know who or what he's throwing at, or maybe he's just working on the mechanics, but catching?

yeah...we definitely gotta drop the argument....its pretty pointless. lol We can argue that he is playing the game, 500! It's a picture that is up for numerous interpretations. AAAAAAAAAH!!!!! Is it September yet!????

<stuff>

photo-8827.jpg

Holy moly, Chaddy. Who is that looker in your profile pic!?!?

And that girl isn't bad looking, either. ;)

that's my future wife knapp lol. I am proposing to her in a few months ; P. We've been together for about 5 years now, had our struggles initially and then we both realized we really want to share lives together. She's a cool chick. Yeah...I know I'm sexy......haha chuckleshuffle

:clap