First Spring Practice - 2012

As bad as Taylor's fundamentals are if the Huskers can get a consistent pass rush out of our DL, receivers that catch the ball and stop killing themselves with stupid self-inflicted penalties this could be a very good team. Lots of ifs in there though.

That's a good point. We spend a lot of time talking about Martinez, when there are holes all over this team. Even the O Line is a huge question mark this year, coming off an inconsistent 2011 and losing our starting Center. That's got me more worried than Martinez' mechanics, ugly as they are.

How do you know he is not just screwing around? Do you use perfect mechanics every time you throw a ball no matter what your doing? I don't

Taylor? Is that you? :funnyhahah

Back to the thread you're not the starting QB at a major BCS school either.

Neither are you but then again, you were a DT in high school and that makes you know what Taylor is doing in that pic.

Taylor does watch the ball leave his hand all the time. Go back and rewatch all the games from last season and you'll see what I'm talking about especially on his deep throws. Tell you what, if you can find evidence either in an article or video that shows any highly successful QB watching the ball as it leaves his hand I'll concede the point. You can't because they don't. Their eyes are down field. I've also thrown the football with friends while tailgating and in pickup games and even I don't watch the ball coming out of my hand. I'm watching downfield for an open receiver and then I deliver the ball. The fact that you are trying to make the case that it doesn't matter where the QBs eyes are when when he's throwing is ludicrous.

Taylor does watch the ball leave his hand all the time. Go back and rewatch all the games from last season and you'll see what I'm talking about especially on his deep throws. Tell you what, if you can find evidence either in an article or video that shows any highly successful QB watching the ball as it leaves his hand I'll concede the point. You can't because they don't. Their eyes are down field. I've also thrown the football with friends while tailgating and in pickup games and even I don't watch the ball coming out of my hand. I'm watching downfield for an open receiver and then I deliver the ball. The fact that you are trying to make the case that it doesn't matter where the QBs eyes are when when he's throwing is ludicrous.

I have ten or more games on DVR, and the camera angles are so remote that I can't recall a single game where you can see Martinez watching the ball leave his hand. Can you point out a game and/or a play where he does this?

Martinez' problems appear to me to be far more footwork- and shoulder-oriented than where he's looking. He steps sideways to throw, something I'm not sure any other human does ( :D ), and he drops his shoulder entirely too much. Further, his arm slot is completely wrong for the kind of ball he's throwing. What's, perhaps, miraculous about his throws is that he's able to get a tight spiral out of those mechanics.

From what I can tell, it seems as though he's looking at his receivers. He's just not built mechanically to throw the ball correctly. Personally, I can't throw at all. I can't throw for distance and I can't throw a spiral. I can't throw a baseball past 50mph on any gun I've ever tried to throw on. Mechanically, I'm just not built to throw - but I can jump out of the gym, and at 6'2" I've been able to dunk a few times. I think that's a large part of Martinez' problem - he's just not built to throw. He's built to run, like crazy, but not throw.

How do you know he is not just screwing around? Do you use perfect mechanics every time you throw a ball no matter what your doing? I don't

Neither are you but then again, you were a DT in high school and that makes you know what Taylor is doing in that pic.

Have you ever thought that he is looking at the ball to watch his release point while working on his throwing?

TttR.....A, 'SkersRule. I'm not the biggest fan of Martinez either. I've complained about his lack of footwork, mechanics, etc., but nitpicking a picture like this where you have absolutely no idea who is involved or what's going on is insane.

I think we can all agree that Taylor doesn't have great mechanics and that it should be an extra bit of emphasis this off-season, but blatantly claiming that this picture is exactly what you're talking about is not only an incredibly big assumption, but also in poor taste. I agree with Knapp. Why don't you just find a clip or picture explaining your point better?

Also, The Dude is right. You complain because everyone is "attacking" you for having a differing opinion, when in reality (or at least I think) they are simply pointing out that you are in no position to use this picture to complain about his mechanics.

I have every Nebraska game from the 2011 season currently stored on my DVR. That's all I have stored though because nothing else is worth keeping. And it took the posting of this picture for the light bulb to go on in my head as to why Taylor struggles with accuracy. We'll leave aside our receivers tendency to drop catchable passes though. We agree that fundamentally Taylor's throwing motion needs a lot of work. That being said if his footwork, setting to throw, throwing motion etc are all off kilter then it doesn't take any stretch of imagination to assume his eyes are not where they need to be. That is basically what Bo said as the reason why they have Taylor wearing a helmet cam this spring.

TttR.....A, 'SkersRule. I'm not the biggest fan of Martinez either. I've complained about his lack of footwork, mechanics, etc., but nitpicking a picture like this where you have absolutely no idea who is involved or what's going on is insane.

I think we can all agree that Taylor doesn't have great mechanics and that it should be an extra bit of emphasis this off-season, but blatantly claiming that this picture is exactly what you're talking about is not only an incredibly big assumption, but also in poor taste. I agree with Knapp. Why don't you just find a clip or picture explaining your point better?

Insanity and nit picking is what we do on internet message boards. :ahhhhhhhh

Insanity and nit picking is what we do on internet message boards. :ahhhhhhhh

You seem to have missed the main part of my point.

Wow. I love how you rationalize your opinions. Well in high school my coach taught me to pop the defender in the head with my palm, so Kaz's techniques arent right and you "dont like what your seeing" Now Martinez is looking at the/his ball/arm as he is "practicing throwing" and you make fun of him, saying "well when i throw the football in my backyard or at a tailgate i dont do that". Seriously you sound ignorant, when comparing your High School/backyard knowledge of throwing a football at your tailgate to that of a major college football Division 1 level coaching.

Coming from a college baseball player (me) i can tell you right now that you are always....always, working on your throwing motion. And yes sometimes you look at your arm to see if your arm is in the right arm slot....usually your not throwing the ball, but sometimes you may. Hell professional pitchers have full time pitching coaches to make sure their motion stays perfect. So that beats your theory dead in the water. He is "practicing" throwing trying to get better. He doesnt know it all and neither do you. What would you have him do? Be stubborn and tell himself that he is Tom Brady, or work on his mechanics in......get this....practice.

I will agree that on his deep throws in the past he has looked up when trying to get some air under the ball. However, for you to assume that he is looking at the ball when he throws all the time based off one picture is just that, a huge assumption, and quite silly. I saw him throw a few times in the practice videos and his mechanics seem to be better. They will never be perfect like Brady, hes never going to be that type of quarterback.

You can bet your ass that after being publicly humiliated on ESPN and all over youtube, he is doing everything he can and spending every minute of everyday trying to improve his mechanics......he would be stupid not to. He will always have the same motion, see Tim Tebow. The best they can do is teach him to look and step straight to his target everytime, instead of what experts call stepping into the bucket as he throws, if he can just step towards his target he will be alot more accurate on alot of throws, the motion im affraid will always be that way.

• Fire 1

Who was at practice that can even confirm he was actually throwing the ball to anyone. Maybe he was throwing it in the air to himself. Remember the pics of Jim Zorn spinning the ball on his finger? I am sure that he was not trying to throw.

You can't tell crap from a still photo. In another board, the pic of the receiver reaching for the ball was not even the next pic.

If folks do not like Martinez fine. No reason to jump on anyone. You have got to be kidding yourself if you honestly think that his mechanics are good and that any team the past two years has feared his arm. Unless things change, we are sadly a one dimensional team (IMO fact based on previous 2 yrs) and we will probably lose 3-4 games. Regardless of line play (I know it starts up front) if we do not have a QB who scares teams and keeps the D honest, we are in trouble. I think that is the emphasis on the mechanics in the off season. Beck said last year was teaching the base of the offense. This year is building it through mechanics and better execution. At least the coaches have publicly acknowledged an issue with his mechanics. Simply admitting a problem has got to help. Bo anting "more balance" (I hate the term) should also keep feet to the fire to continue to improve his mechanics.

Another board also posted that the first practice, there appeared a gap between Martinez and the rest. Not good IMO. No serviceable backup means play calling to keep Martinez safe, no pressure on him to excel and catastrophic results if he goes down.

Have you ever thought that he is looking at the ball to watch his release point while working on his throwing?

He doesnt do that at his tailgate so its not right. Why would he be working on his mechanics in practice, maybe he should work on them in the game.