First Spring Practice - 2012

Some videos of practice HERE.

Feel free to analyze the direction of Martinez' eyes to your hearts content.

What's this "punch through" thing Brown's harping on the running backs about? (in the omaha video) Don't we fumble the ball enough? (this is my "internet genius" showing). But I'd think there's some risk to that. You can also see in their blocking drills there is a big difference between Rex and a few of the other backs - both in technique and intensity.

And the few throws I was able to see by Taylor looked good. Brion looks like he's put on 10 pounds, he's solid. Watching the Omaha video, you can definitely see a difference between Taylor running the option and Brion running it. Taylor just doesn't look comfortable pitching the ball on the run. He almost comes to a complete stop, pivots, pitches. Could be that specific play, it just doesn't look as fluid to me. I'm not a fan of Beck cramming the option down Taylor's throat - he seems better suited for something different.

It matters quite a bit, True to the Red.......Always. He's throwing the ball in a drill. What is the drill? What is he specifically working on in that drill? Is it supposed to simulate an in-game throw or is it to work on mechanics?

Further, you're looking at two separate pics and claiming they're of the same pass, same passer for that matter, and you have zero idea if that's the case. So you and 'SkersRule come up with these bizarre conclusions based on some pictures that you have no idea what they're of, and while you think it's OK to bemoan the QB, the reality is you don't have the first clue what you're bemoaning. So people poke some fun at you, and you overreact.

PS - to answer your question from yesterday, yes, it appears you did miss something. But I didn't miss anything at all.

Hell - he could have been catching a ball...not even throwing it!!!!

It matters quite a bit, True to the Red.......Always. He's throwing the ball in a drill. What is the drill? What is he specifically working on in that drill? Is it supposed to simulate an in-game throw or is it to work on mechanics?

Further, you're looking at two separate pics and claiming they're of the same pass, same passer for that matter, and you have zero idea if that's the case. So you and 'SkersRule come up with these bizarre conclusions based on some pictures that you have no idea what they're of, and while you think it's OK to bemoan the QB, the reality is you don't have the first clue what you're bemoaning. So people poke some fun at you, and you overreact.

PS - to answer your question from yesterday, yes, it appears you did miss something. But I didn't miss anything at all.

Hell - he could have been catching a ball...not even throwing it!!!!

I think we know what wasn't the case :P

It will be interesting to see how the offense functions this year with Taylor being in his second year under Beck. I hope we stick to more of a option read style of offense, with some screens and draws put in to keep the dline's honest.

When is the next parctice?

Today, Wednesday and then one more before Spring Break.

As a side note, I watched some of the brief highlights and I think there's marked improvement in Martinez' mechanics. The challenge will be getting him to apply those footwork/route reading skills into game-time action, but that's the same challenge coaches face with every position (getting guys to apply practice principles to the field.)

Or, wait...I'm sorry. Aren't we supposed to be bashing Martinez, throwing together two arbitrary pictures to prove he's not getting any better, and claiming a 0-12 season? <_<

It will be interesting to see how the offense functions this year with Taylor being in his second year under Beck. I hope we stick to more of a option read style of offense, with some screens and draws put in to keep the dline's honest.

I want to see more of that damn crazy zone read/option play that we utilized and scored a TD against Michigan......that play was stellar..

Oh yeah.....by the way....via twitter, Bill Belichick told Jamal Turner something along these lines, &quot;I'll be back in Lincoln to look at you in 3 years.&quot; Sounds like Bill was impressed.

That's great. Hopefully we can utilize his skill set more this season.

I agree. He has evident talent. It was weird....Sean Callahan mentioned the post-Minnesota game and Jamal's comments about Taylor....he didn't directly say that he thinks that played a role in his decreased PT....but he did throw that in his conversation. Podcast with comments about Taylor, the o-line, the secondary, etc. Check it: http://huskersgameday.com/2012/03/11/huskersgameday-podcast-interview-with-sean-callahan-of-huskeronline-com/

Appreciate the radio segment, was finally able to listen to it. I really hope T Mart keeps improving. Like I said, I'm excited about JT and the receivers. Like the depth we're building at CB.

As a side note, I watched some of the brief highlights and I think there's marked improvement in Martinez' mechanics. The challenge will be getting him to apply those footwork/route reading skills into game-time action, but that's the same challenge coaches face with every position (getting guys to apply practice principles to the field.)

Or, wait...I'm sorry. Aren't we supposed to be bashing Martinez, throwing together two arbitrary pictures to prove he's not getting any better, and claiming a 0-12 season? <_<

Nah..0-12 seems like a bit of a stretch, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere where anyone said this team wouldn't win a game with TM this year. A 3-4 loss year is what I am expecting. Another pretty decent year. If Taylor is "night and day" from last year, we could possibly be a 2-3 loss team. We lose a lot of key pieces defensively which is my main concern. Teams like Michigan, and Ohio State might be able to score some points on us. Northwestern with Coulter at QB could cause us some fits, since we've always seemed to struggle with mobile QB's.

I want to see more of that damn crazy zone read/option play that we utilized and scored a TD against Michigan......that play was stellar..

I'm with you speed on the screens and draws, I feel opposing D's are ripe at times for it against us. CB, its funny you mentioned the Mich game, as another thing I feel will improve is our offensive tempo/pace and it won't matter if a defender fakes an injury or not to slow us down.

Nah..0-12 seems like a bit of a stretch, and for the life of me I can't find anywhere where anyone said this team wouldn't win a game with TM this year. A 3-4 loss year is what I am expecting. Another pretty decent year. If Taylor is "night and day" from last year, we could possibly be a 2-3 loss team. We lose a lot of key pieces defensively which is my main concern. Teams like Michigan, and Ohio State might be able to score some points on us. Northwstern with Coulter at QB could cause us some fits, since we've always seemed to struggle with mobile QB's.

I think you missed my not-so-subtle sarcasm in the last part.

In the picture of Taylor throwing he is clearly working on his mechanics and his release point. There probably isn't even a receiver downfield other than a coach or assistant. Look at his feet and his weight on his feet, he obviously isn't throwing to a receiver. It's a drill and could quite possibly be throwing into a bucket or something else. He's supposed to be watching his hand and the ball in that drill. Give the kid a break! People complain about his mechanics and how he needs to fix them and then when he does that gets picked apart too!

<stuff>

photo-8827.jpg

Holy moly, Chaddy. Who is that looker in your profile pic!?!?

And that girl isn't bad looking, either. ;)

that's my future wife knapp lol. I am proposing to her in a few months ; P. We've been together for about 5 years now, had our struggles initially and then we both realized we really want to share lives together. She's a cool chick. Yeah...I know I'm sexy......haha chuckleshuffle

Well let's hope she or someone she knows doesn't read HuskerBoard so you didn't just spill the beans.