Biggest Areas of Need for the 2013 Class

At this point we still need:

2 CB (Cover guys).

2 DE (Pass rushers).

3 OL (At least two of which should be OTs).

2 DT (Biggest need thus far).

1 RB (Not a huge prioroty, but still necessary).

1 WR (Have Gladney, but still need another).

1 QB (Getting Stanton was big, but one more would be good).

1 ATH (A versatile kid who could play WR, SS, FS).

Based on our current 12 commits, signing the above allotment would give us 25 scholarships.

How is RB not a priority?! We are a season ending injury to Rex from being as thin and inexperienced at RB as friggin IOWA!!!

At this point we still need:

2 CB (Cover guys).

2 DE (Pass rushers).

3 OL (At least two of which should be OTs).

2 DT (Biggest need thus far).

1 RB (Not a huge prioroty, but still necessary).

1 WR (Have Gladney, but still need another).

1 QB (Getting Stanton was big, but one more would be good).

1 ATH (A versatile kid who could play WR, SS, FS).

Based on our current 12 commits, signing the above allotment would give us 25 scholarships.

How is RB not a priority?! We are a season ending injury to Rex from being as thin and inexperienced at RB as friggin IOWA!!!

I'm with you here. Rex is gone, Green is gone, and Heard has had another major setback in his career as a RB (playing defense) so he's a longshot even if they move him back in the fall. The coaches must love what they are seeing in Marrow/Cross. That's at least encouraging. I'd still surprised the coaches are having trouble finding a top-25 RB this season. Nebraska should be an easy sell to a RB.

Hyperbolize much?

Behind Rex we have: Ameer Abdullah, Mike Marrow (who is listed as a FB but can, if rumors are true, play IB as well) with Imani Cross coming in as a true freshman in about a month. And then there is Braylon Heard who could step in at RB/IB if necessary. Then there are the walk-ons who could potentially be called upon. So that's, at the minimum, four potential RBs other than Rex. That's why I said: a) RB really isn't a priority and b) we only need one in this upcoming class.

• Fire 1

Hyperbolize much?

Behind Rex we have: Ameer Abdullah, Mike Marrow (who is listed as a FB but can, if rumors are true, play IB as well) with Imani Cross coming in as a true freshman in about a month. And then there is Braylon Heard who could step in at RB/IB if necessary. Then there are the walk-ons who could potentially be called upon. So that's, at the minimum, four potential RBs other than Rex. That's why I said: a) RB really isn't a priority and b) we only need one in this upcoming class.

since we're talking recruiting Rex is not part of the discussion - he'll be gone - so, outside of Abdullah we have a defensive back that you'd convert and 2 newcomers that are completely unproven - one of which is a true FB. When we're recruiting 180 pound IBs, a 250 pound kid does not exactly translate into an IB just because he can line up in Rex's spot. A single (will be junior) walkon at IB, and then 3 freshman walk-ons. (when was the last time a walk-on played much at IB - let alone freshman/sophomores?) That's our depth? Diamond will look nice w/ that. I'd say it's about our thinnest position on the roster. It makes us look stocked at TE.

Abdullah better get some carries this season - because he'll need to be prepared to carry the ball 35-40 times a game in 2013. That still leaves 25ish for Martinez and the others. Either that or Martinez will be passing 35 times a game.

First my "wants":

WR - Devon Allen as Stanton needs a top tier WR in this class and Allen fits the bill nicely.

RB - Terrell Newby or Craig Lee

OT - Kenny Lacy

TE - Beau Sandland

DT - Toby Johnson

DB - Priest Willis and Cole Luke (our defensive prowess should grab us one of these guys to become a Blackshirt)

"Needs":

After the above, I would bulk up the lines and grab some OL (Harlow and Hannon should make decisions or we should move on) and some DL (Senat, Munger, and others...really need a speed rusher off the edge type and not sure why we haven't sold that need to a stud defender). I leave room for DE Mathis but maybe academic casualty?

Hyperbolize much?

since we're talking recruiting Rex is not part of the discussion - he'll be gone - so, outside of Abdullah we have a defensive back that you'd convert

You consider Heard a defensive back first? He actually has experience at RB. He practiced defensive back for a couple months. Not much of a conversion.

Hyperbolize much?

since we're talking recruiting Rex is not part of the discussion - he'll be gone - so, outside of Abdullah we have a defensive back that you'd convert

You consider Heard a defensive back first? He actually has experience at RB. He practiced defensive back for a couple months. Not much of a conversion.

Oh boy Chris, your so far off this time. He was the No 5 RB in the Nation coming out of HS????? Just as highly ranked as Green......how soon we forget.....come on man, your grasping for negative straws here.

http://rivals.yahoo....lon-Heard-89377

For 2013 we will have Marrow Cross Ameer Heard all with experience. King Frazier (a 3 star walk on) and our 2012 recruit. The sky is not falling, looks pretty promising to me. Drink some kool aid bud.

since we're talking recruiting Rex is not part of the discussion - he'll be gone - so, outside of Abdullah we have a defensive back that you'd convert and 2 newcomers that are completely unproven - one of which is a true FB. When we're recruiting 180 pound IBs, a 250 pound kid does not exactly translate into an IB just because he can line up in Rex's spot. A single (will be junior) walkon at IB, and then 3 freshman walk-ons. (when was the last time a walk-on played much at IB - let alone freshman/sophomores?) That's our depth? Diamond will look nice w/ that. I'd say it's about our thinnest position on the roster. It makes us look stocked at TE.

Abdullah better get some carries this season - because he'll need to be prepared to carry the ball 35-40 times a game in 2013. That still leaves 25ish for Martinez and the others. Either that or Martinez will be passing 35 times a game.

The depth at RB behind Rex, recruiting or not, we have three more than capable guys: Ameer, Marrow, and Heard with Imani already on campus and and Bo looking at Newby and Comier. I think we get one of these guys.

Hyperbolize much?

Oh boy Chris, your so far off this time. He was the No 5 RB in the Nation coming out of HS????? Just as highly ranked as Green......how soon we forget.....come on man, your grasping for negative straws here.

For 2013 we will have Marrow Cross Ameer Heard all with experience. King Frazier (a 3 star walk on) and our 2012 recruit. The sky is not falling, looks pretty promising to me. Drink some kool aid bud.

I remember where Heard was ranked, and I remember how he performed last year. The kid has a ton of potential at running back. I'm feeling a lot better now that it appears he's been moved back. I was expecting Bo to leave him at defensive back until about the 5th game of the season and then decide we're thin and move him (Baptiste 2012). At this point he didn't lose much, had he gone through fall and half a season he would have been way behind and stood a good chance of hardly seeing the field.

Marrow and Cross haven't showed anything yet, nor has Frazier. We're all hopeful but how many backs wash out at Nebraska? The list is long. Castille, Mendoza, Glenn, Robinson, Okafor. In recent years there's been quite a few - and there are some highly talented guys in that list. (Robinson should have stayed. He'd be sitting in a perfect position right now.) To think that all 3 of these guys are viable options is naive. 2, maybe all 3 will never see the field. Marrow for his size will be situational and certainly can't be relied on all game. Cross's recruitment puzzles me - because it's not the direction we have been going the last couple years, nor does it appear the direction we are going now under Beck. Me personally - i'd love to see a roster full of 225 pound run-your-a$$-over backs...but nothing indicates that is where the offense is going. So how he fits is still up in the air. If we have to rely on Cross - while he might be more than capable...the game plan/offense changes. That's not a position I'd want to be in.

So at this point, to me....we have 2 guys going into 2013, with Marrow getting 4-5 carries a game in short yardage situations. Still thin. Definitely not a position I'm going to write off as "fine". But we're better today than we were a week ago that's for sure.

I'm not sure why the game plan would have to change significantly for a bigger back, nor am I sure that marrow has to be situational only. Obviously if he's the starting fullback, he can't play both positions at the same time, but beck has used a big back successfully in the past in Brandon mcanderson.

Moving heard back full time has made me feel significantly better about running back depth though. We still need to get at least one in this class.

And I had completely forgotten about King Frazier. I don't know if he'll ever see the field but with the addition of Frazier and Cross, we'll have Ameer, Mike, and Braylon-all of them behind Rex.

So ya RB is not a huge priority in this class. I'm thinking we either nab Newby or Comier (spelling) in this class or pass on a RB altogether.

And I had completely forgotten about King Frazier. I don't know if he'll ever see the field but with the addition of Frazier and Cross, we'll have Ameer, Mike, and Braylon-all of them behind Rex.

So ya RB is not a huge priority in this class. I'm thinking we either nab Newby or Comier (spelling) in this class or pass on a RB altogether.

RB should be a huge priority in every class..... Just ask Iowa!!