It's warm out... Ideas for the grill

So you dont use a stone... Just place your raw pizza dough on the grill and firm it up?

I've done both. I like putting the crust directly onto the grates best.

If I'm baking pizza in the oven I put my stone in but I usually use the pans, and just use the stone to regulate heat. If you're using a stone you really need to heat them up for an hour before you cook or they lose too much surface temp when you put your crust on. On the grill, that's a lot of pre-heat time.

I use a stone in the oven. I have a glass front, and convection/550 max temp so the stone gets razor hot, your right though about the pre heat time, and recovery time as well, for the stone. The issue I've had with the stone on the grill is controlling the temps and building it up. I use a lot of fuel to get there, and it sucks not being able to see whats going on. Anyway I am going to try the dough right on the grill and see what happens. Are you running the grill flat out?

Thank knapplc and Canttakeitanymore . . . we can't have a grill at our apartment . . . and this all sounds fantastic.

One more reason to start house shopping.

No worries man... I dont know if I could get through a summer without a grill

• 1 month later...

I was craving some grilled chicken today, so I thawed some legs and thighs and made a simple mop and grilled them up. It's amazing what you can do with some flame and some simple ingredients. Absolutely outrageous.

The mop was just off the top of my head. In a small jar with a sealable lid I combined some garlic salt and a little bit of cayenne, some white wine vinegar, some canola oil and some beer. Since I only had about ten pieces of chicken I only made maybe 1/2 cup total, so a few splashes of the oil, a few splashes of the wine vinegar, and about as much beer as vinegar/oil combined. The alcohol in the beer helped marry the vinegar and oil, but I did have to shake it a few times while cooking.

I basted with the mop and kept them at about 300 degrees for a little over half an hour, turning infrequently, and they turned out great.

We make baked potatoes on the grill..having them tonight with steak..just wash potatoes; prink holes all over with a fork..rub butter all over them; wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and grill for an hour or until they are done...time depends on how big the potatoes are.

Salmon steaks. Don't even take the skin off. Just put 'em on the grill skin side down, and the salmon meat comes right out of the skin when they're done. Maybe squeeze a little lemon juice on them, or a sprinkle of Lawy's. But they're terrific without any seasoning at all.