DiNardo tweet about Burkhead

Maybe, but the Heisman is based on a lot of statistics...and pre-season hype is primarily based on the prior year. There are a dozen running backs returning that racked up more yards than Rex. If you go by YPC he didn't even finish in the top 100 rushers last year. Ball averaged 6.26 yards a carry. James 7.31. Rex 4.8.

Rex is by far my favorite Husker - but at this point I don't think he deserves to be in the discussion averaging 104 yards a game. He's consistent and reliable, but he's never really ever taken over a game. A Heisman candidate does that 3-4 times a season...minimum.

• Fire 1

Maybe, but the Heisman is based on a lot of statistics...and pre-season hype is primarily based on the prior year. There are a dozen running backs returning that racked up more yards than Rex. If you go by YPC he didn't even finish in the top 100 rushers last year. Ball averaged 6.26 yards a carry. James 7.31. Rex 4.8.

Rex is by far my favorite Husker - but at this point I don't think he deserves to be in the discussion averaging 104 yards a game. He's consistent and reliable, but he's never really ever taken over a game. A Heisman candidate does that 3-4 times a season...minimum.

This is very true. When you look at just conference games Rex's avg falls to 4.3 and 8 scores over 8 games. Not overly impressive. Close to half his production came from the creampuff non con, basically 40% of his yards and 50% of his tds. He is a nice player and as kchusker_chris said, consistent and reliable. But unless his numbers really blow up and his has a couple showcase games, the heisman is a pipe dream.

i agree with you until here. rex routinely does that. and few backs do more with less. if you switch if you traded rex for ball straight up there numbers would not the the same(note to the numerous wiscy fans here... thats not a shot at ball or saying that rex is better, but your line and QB were clearly better last year)

^ I guess I see taking a game over as Helu did the Missouri game a couple years ago, or Martinez did the K-State/Washington game that same year. Those 2 performances are what got Martinez the Heisman hype, and that 1 performance is what got Helu and extra couple million from the Skins.

Rex is a great player, and he might do a lot with less...but the Heisman isn't about picking the best player on the worst team - it's about picking the best (most flashy/dominating/visible/etc) running back or quarterback for a highly ranked team. Unfortunately Rex isn't flashy, he doesn't regularly dominate in a way that would showcase himself - he just pounds you for 134 yards on 35 carries (michigan state), he isn't that visible because he plays for a Nebraska team that is ranked at the bottom of the top 25, and to finish off his hopes we aren't going to be winning the MNC next year - and likely won't be playing in a BCS game.

if Rex wants the Heisman - he'd better put up 2,000+, and find the endzone 30+ times keeping his carries around 300. i'd love to see it, but I'm not counting on it. he has to share 1000 yards with the QB, and likely another 500-800 with the sophomore duo.

It's gotta be about the team and school too, and ESPN-who they want to win. The Heisman race is all about who's hot "now" and who puts on a better campaign in this media frenzied world we live in. Personally, I think the Heisman is a joke anymore, but will admit that last year was the first in many that the right guy won it, in my eyes.

• Fire 2

I definitely agreed w/ Griffin - but I thought Newton was equally deserving the year before (probably more so - Luck was a great player as well this year). I don't disagree with many of the winners. Ingram I'm not so sure on - but before that I think the best guy had won for a number of years.

What I don't really agree w/ is the finalists, and usually the final order. Suh should have finished higher. More defensive guys should be standing up there. Stuff like that. But the winner for the most part has a solid argument for why they won most years.

I definitely agreed w/ Griffin - but I thought Newton was equally deserving the year before (probably more so - Luck was a great player as well this year). I don't disagree with many of the winners. Ingram I'm not so sure on - but before that I think the best guy had won for a number of years.

What I don't really agree w/ is the finalists, and usually the final order. Suh should have finished higher. More defensive guys should be standing up there. Stuff like that. But the winner for the most part has a solid argument for why they won most years.

Yeah, I agree with Newton as well. The way I look at is "how good is that team without him?" Ingram? Bama still wins it all without him. Auburn? No. This also makes a huge case for Suh. It just seems to be that "best player on the best team" thing going on anymore. For instance the momentary hype for Weeden last year. Where would OK St be without him? I dont know, but I tend to think Joe Daily could throw passes to Justin Blackmon and be in the heisman race.

I agree with this. Rex is an extremely reliable player, but he's not the star studded game breaker. He's more like the patron saint of consistency.

This is very true. When you look at just conference games Rex's avg falls to 4.3 and 8 scores over 8 games. Not overly impressive. Close to half his production came from the creampuff non con, basically 40% of his yards and 50% of his tds. He is a nice player and as kchusker_chris said, consistent and reliable. But unless his numbers really blow up and his has a couple showcase games, the heisman is a pipe dream.

he seldom takes it to the house nor is he a threat to.......wihtout that you don't get the nod.

he seldom takes it to the house nor is he a threat to.......wihtout that you don't get the nod.

4e911ec1b7af7.image.jpg

• Fire 3