What would you do?

Just ran across the article this morning. Looks like a girl falsely reported that her father raped her and he was sentenced to 15 years in the slammer...a little over 9 years later, she admitted that she falsely reported the crime because she was upset with her father and she will not be charged with any wrong doing because the judge doesn't want to discourage women from reporting sexual abuse.

Thoughts?

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2012/04/daughters_rape_lie_recanted_ka.html

Just ran across the article this morning. Looks like a girl falsely reported that her father raped her and he was sentenced to 15 years in the slammer...a little over 9 years later, she admitted that she falsely reported the crime because she was upset with her father and she will not be charged with any wrong doing because the judge doesn't want to discourage women from reporting sexual abuse.

Thoughts?

http://www.oregonliv...ecanted_ka.html

I think there is a lot more to that story. It doesn't quite add up.

If she actually lied (and for the reasons listed) I would not hesitate to file charges.

Thoughts?

If she actually lied (and for the reasons listed) I would not hesitate to file charges.

The article mentions that the daughter was upset after her parents divorced, so I almost wonder if the mother had something to do with making up the story. What kind of 11 year old girl is just going to make something like that up all on their own? Like you, I'd be filing charges.

Thoughts?

The article mentions that the daughter was upset after her parents divorced, so I almost wonder if the mother had something to do with making up the story. What kind of 11 year old girl is just going to make something like that up all on their own? Like you, I'd be filing charges.

That was my first thought as well.

Shouldn't the Judge be just as concerned about someone being falsely accused as he/she is about someone being fearful of accusing someone. I do not want to take anything away from the pain that sexual abuse causes, but doesn't false accusations and unwarranted jail time cause pain too. I personally think that if the father wanted to he should be able to press charges against his accuser. Because if childrens books taught me anything its don't cry wolf. If you over saturate any environment with false allegations every allegation becomes slowly eroded until no one believes them anymore. If you let people get away with something they will keep doing it. You have the law for a reason, a judge is supposed to up hold the law not make it.

There has to be more to this than the short story in the link would indicate. But since that is all we have to go on, the prosecutors excuse that charging the girl might discourage other girls from reporting sexual assaults is pure BS and non-logical. People should be discouraged from filing false charges and that apparently is what this girl did. I would think people getting off scot free after filing false charges would do a lot more harm for legitimate cases than sending the message that this type of thing is serious and won't be taken lightly. There is nothing they could do to her that would get him his 9 years back but no way she should simply get to go about her life with no repercussions. And yeah, his defense attorney must've sucked big time but, if you've got an eleven year old daughter who would do that to you, you've probably got a few more problems in your life than an attorney can patch up.

There has to be more to this than the short story in the link would indicate. But since that is all we have to go on, the prosecutors excuse that charging the girl might discourage other girls from reporting sexual assaults is pure BS and non-logical. People should be discouraged from filing false charges and that apparently is what this girl did. I would think people getting off scot free after filing false charges would do a lot more harm for legitimate cases than sending the message that this type of thing is serious and won't be taken lightly. There is nothing they could do to her that would get him his 9 years back but no way she should simply get to go about her life with no repercussions. And yeah, his defense attorney must've sucked big time but, if you've got an eleven year old daughter who would do that to you, you've probably got a few more problems in your life than an attorney can patch up.

If the girl was an adult and lied it about it then yea I would agree something should be done but I am not sure what you could do about and 11 year old making false accusations. It's a difficult set of circumstances for sure. If she was an adult, I say throw the book at her. To me false reporting of rapes is as bad or even more serious then actual rapes because as you mention if we start taking away the legitimacy of the issue, e.g. people are less likely to believe the legitimate crimes, then you only hurt the actual victims even more because it's more will likely real rapists will get away with it and more women will be less likely to report. See Al Sharpton and race relations for further examples......