Why is the Rose Bowl so important to the B1G?

Jaybird

I would rather go to the MNC game. I think I speak for most Michigan fans.

Ohio State, Penn State and Nebraska would all join you in that opinion I think. The other 8 I'll bet pick the Rose Bowl. And its no surprise that the first 4 actually have National Championship Trophies in the case, and the later 8 do not.

Actually several others do

Hmmm...what's good about the Rose Bowl? Well...for the Big Ten...it's the one chance its population can get a tan and see women in bikinis in winter? Otherwise, as a Nebraska fan...I could care less about it. Actually, it's probably one of the biggest cancers that will prevent an actual playoff.

Let the hate begin.

Ohio State, Penn State and Nebraska would all join you in that opinion I think. The other 8 I'll bet pick the Rose Bowl. And its no surprise that the first 4 actually have National Championship Trophies in the case, and the later 8 do not.

If it is not AP or coaches, it does not count. There are teams with 2 losses, including losing their last game of the season who claim some champs, and for some years there are as many as 6 different champs depending on the publication.

If it is not AP or coaches, it does not count. There are teams with 2 losses, including losing their last game of the season who claim some champs, and for some years there are as many as 6 different champs depending on the publication.

Well going by your 'AP' rule then the Big Ten has six teams with NCs. I'm not sure that this has near the bearing on this discussion that you seem to think it does...we all know, even fans of the more mediocre teams, that the NC is more important.

When your team respect within your conference was, is, tied to one bowl for so long your loyalty to that bowl is deserved. Remember the Big 8 and the Orange Bowl, and the Holliday Bowl. If you fell to the latter, your season was a failure. I would think that the drive to get to the Rose Bowl for the fans of say, Michigan St, Minnesota or even Wisconsin seems more realistic than playing for the NC game. This bowl is about pride and standing within your conference. You go to the Rose Bowl, your king for a year in the BIG.

Don't get me wrong the Rose Bowl is an amazing bowl with great tradition and pageantry. Even as a kid rooting for a Big 8 team in Nebraska I always looked forward to watching the Rose Bowl. In no way was this thread meant to demean the importance of the bowl as a whole.

I just remember rooting for my Huskers to make it to the Orange Bowl not because of the Orange Bowl but because being in that bowl meant we won the conference and if you did that you were competing for National Championships. As time passed and the Big 12 was formed and then the BCS was formed my allegiances changed because the way to win a National Title changed. Instead of rooting for us to go to the Orange Bowl I now was rooting for us to go to the BCS, and early on we did not so much lately.

Moving forward if the way to win a National Championship changes again to a plus 1 format or to a 8 or 16 team playoff then I will again change my goals for each year. Ultimately my goal every year is to compete for National Championships. If that is not your ultimate goal then I guess I don't understand why you play the games anyway. Most teams in division 1 in all honesty really don't have much of a chance at all to really play for or win the National Title but I think you have to start your season wanting to win all the games on your schedule that year and taking it a step further you need to schedule in such a manner that if you go undefeated in that schedule you will be competing for a title. Just a few thoughts.

Don't get me wrong the Rose Bowl is an amazing bowl with great tradition and pageantry. Even as a kid rooting for a Big 8 team in Nebraska I always looked forward to watching the Rose Bowl. In no way was this thread meant to demean the importance of the bowl as a whole.

I just remember rooting for my Huskers to make it to the Orange Bowl not because of the Orange Bowl but because being in that bowl meant we won the conference and if you did that you were competing for National Championships. As time passed and the Big 12 was formed and then the BCS was formed my allegiances changed because the way to win a National Title changed. Instead of rooting for us to go to the Orange Bowl I now was rooting for us to go to the BCS, and early on we did not so much lately.

Moving forward if the way to win a National Championship changes again to a plus 1 format or to a 8 or 16 team playoff then I will again change my goals for each year. Ultimately my goal every year is to compete for National Championships. If that is not your ultimate goal then I guess I don't understand why you play the games anyway. Most teams in division 1 in all honesty really don't have much of a chance at all to really play for or win the National Title but I think you have to start your season wanting to win all the games on your schedule that year and taking it a step further you need to schedule in such a manner that if you go undefeated in that schedule you will be competing for a title. Just a few thoughts.

I get what you're saying and you're right. The National Championship "means more" in the big picture. More national exposure, more money, better recruiting and longer term bragging rights but within the conference, when I go back to my little hometown by the Minnesota border, just getting to the Rose Bowl is pretty close.

Maybe it comes from rooting for a team without a National Championship but I treasure the Rose Bowl, it stands as a powerful foil to the current BCS NC. One game is storied with over a century of history while the other is brand new, poorly contrived and rife with controversy. It just doesn't have the powerful feeling that comes with the Rose Bowl. No roses to pass out at the final game, no special bowl edition beer, no parade of roses...its just some big commercialized wannabe Super Bowl. I'd love to be there but Pasadena is a damn good consolation prize.

I think its something that even the more successful teams can understand because while schools like Nebraska have had great seasons you also know what its like to chase championships year after year, decade after decade with no results..so yea I think its something to which we can all relate. To show what I mean...

(Assuming the AP Rule)

Nebraska went 80 years before its first NC.

Ohio State went 30+ years without one (68-02)

Minnesota's gone 50 years since its last.

Michigan played 70 years before its first, then had a 50 year gap and now its been 14 years.

...and it goes on and on.

So to get all high and mighty in our National Championship Ivory towers is kind of foolish. It's not as if any school has had sustained success with just gobs of NC's every decade since they started playing...we have no blue bloods in that regard.

I get what you're saying and you're right. The National Championship "means more" in the big picture. More national exposure, more money, better recruiting and longer term bragging rights but within the conference, when I go back to my little hometown by the Minnesota border, just getting to the Rose Bowl is pretty close.

Maybe it comes from rooting for a team without a National Championship but I treasure the Rose Bowl, it stands as a powerful foil to the current BCS NC. One game is storied with over a century of history while the other is brand new, poorly contrived and rife with controversy. It just doesn't have the powerful feeling that comes with the Rose Bowl. No roses to pass out at the final game, no special bowl edition beer, no parade of roses...its just some big commercialized wannabe Super Bowl. I'd love to be there but Pasadena is a damn good consolation prize.

I think its something that even the more successful teams can understand because while schools like Nebraska have had great seasons you also know what its like to chase championships year after year, decade after decade with no results..so yea I think its something to which we can all relate. To show what I mean...

(Assuming the AP Rule)

Nebraska went 80 years before its first NC.

Ohio State went 30+ years without one (68-02)

Minnesota's gone 50 years since its last.

Michigan played 70 years before its first, then had a 50 year gap and now its been 14 years.

...and it goes on and on.

So to get all high and mighty in our National Championship Ivory towers is kind of foolish. It's not as if any school has had sustained success with just gobs of NC's every decade since they started playing...we have no blue bloods in that regard.

Bucky, maybe this is what all the fuss is about:

Among the proposals in the memo is "four teams plus" -- an arrangement that would expand to six teams to account for the traditional Big Ten versus Pac-12 rivalry

embraced by the Rose Bowl, according to the report.

Before the BCS, what ever it was called in the '90s, the Big 10 and Pac 10 refused to join to keep their Rose Bowl goal. They ONLY decided to join the rest of the country after Michigan lost the title to NU

Among the proposals in the memo is "four teams plus" -- an arrangement that would expand to six teams to account for the traditional Big Ten versus Pac-12 rivalry

Before the BCS, what ever it was called in the '90s, the Big 10 and Pac 10 refused to join to keep their Rose Bowl goal. They ONLY decided to join the rest of the country after Michigan lost the title to NU

Yea I hear the Rose Bowl is causing some trouble in crafting playoff proposals. I'm conflicted; I really want to see a playoff but I love the Rose Bowl. If only there was some kind of compromise that wasn't completely retarded.

Your story about the formation of the BCS is off though and way overplays the role of Nebraska. It was the Tournament of Roses Association, not either conference, that held the key in releasing both conferences to join the BCS. Nebraska beating Tennessee didn't change that.

Yea I hear the Rose Bowl is causing some trouble in crafting playoff proposals. I'm conflicted; I really want to see a playoff but I love the Rose Bowl. If only there was some kind of compromise that wasn't completely retarded.

Your story about the formation of the BCS is off though and way overplays the role of Nebraska. It was the Tournament of Roses Association, not either conference, that held the key in releasing both conferences to join the BCS. Nebraska beating Tennessee didn't change that.

Thanks on the Rose Bowl -

I will just say this, at the beginning of a season if you hope for the Rose bowl that means you will have won the Big10. That either puts you into consideration for the National championship game or the Rose bowl, which ever your team deserves at the time. We are merely just hoping to be the best in the Big10 and take whatever credit comes with that. Hope that helps.

The Rose Bowl agreement was a direct statement by the PCC (now Pac) & Big 9 that the prevailing culture held by southern schools was unacceptable. That being that football players should be treated as any other student athlete rather than quasi professional paid players and that the color of a player's skin should not be what determines whether they have the opportunity to attend a school of higher learning.

The Rose Bowl is a big deal because it has been an example that college athletics should stand for something more important than bragging rights over meaningless 'titles'.

Minnesota has as many recognized modern national titles as Penn State & TSUN combined.

• Fire 1

The Rose Bowl agreement was a direct statement by the PCC (now Pac) & Big 9 that the prevailing culture held by southern schools was unacceptable. That being that football players should be treated as any other student athlete rather than quasi professional paid players and that the color of a player's skin should not be what determines whether they have the opportunity to attend a school of higher learning.

The Rose Bowl is a big deal because it has been an example that college athletics should stand for something more important than bragging rights over meaningless 'titles'.

Minnesota has as many recognized modern national titles as Penn State & TSUN combined.

I don't know about all that...sounds like another fairy-tale narrative a la Nebraska facilitating the entire BCS revolution.

I don't know about all that...sounds like another fairy-tale narrative a la Nebraska facilitating the entire BCS revolution.

I used to have a really good history of the PCC/PAC printed in the 50's that had lots of info about the history of the Rose Bowl (given the symbiotic relationship of the two) which went into specifics about the decision and mentioned the issues regarding amateur status & race....but of course now I can't find it. :(