Why is the Rose Bowl so important to the B1G?

Jaybird

I don't know about all that...sounds like another fairy-tale narrative a la Nebraska facilitating the entire BCS revolution.

I used to have a really good history of the PCC/PAC printed in the 50's that had lots of info about the history of the Rose Bowl (given the symbiotic relationship of the two) which went into specifics about the decision and mentioned the issues regarding amateur status & race....but of course now I can't find it. :(

Oh ok I mean, I could see how that story would exist, I'm doubtful that they thought of it at the time but I'm willing to take your word for it because whether they meant it or not that's what it amounted to.

The Rose Bowl agreement was a direct statement by the PCC (now Pac) & Big 9 that the prevailing culture held by southern schools was unacceptable. That being that football players should be treated as any other student athlete rather than quasi professional paid players and that the color of a player's skin should not be what determines whether they have the opportunity to attend a school of higher learning.

The Rose Bowl is a big deal because it has been an example that college athletics should stand for something more important than bragging rights over meaningless 'titles'.

Ohio State, Penn State and Nebraska would all join you in that opinion I think. The other 8 I'll bet pick the Rose Bowl. And its no surprise that the first 4 actually have National Championship Trophies in the case, and the later 8 do not.

Minnesota has as many recognized modern national titles as Penn State & TSUN combined.

modern national titles sounds like Michigan's excuse for relevance featuring all the things that happened before 1900

Yes, the Rose Bowl is the top consolation prize and is much more meaningful than the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta. Just look at the settings, crowds and TV coverage of the Rose vs the others. I can certainly see the B10 & PAC wanting to protect their turf.

I do wish the B10 would not be so slow to adapt to changing times and I think they may have to loosen their stance on this Rose Bowl deal.

Yes, the Rose Bowl is the top consolation prize and is much more meaningful than the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta. Just look at the settings, crowds and TV coverage of the Rose vs the others. I can certainly see the B10 & PAC wanting to protect their turf.

I do wish the B10 would not be so slow to adapt to changing times and I think they may have to loosen their stance on this Rose Bowl deal.

More meaningful for just two conferences, though. And not even two full conferences, since Colorado Fan, Utah Fan and Nebraska Fan haven't adopted the Rose Bowl yet. I would presume that if you ask most Husker Fans which bowl they hold most dear it would be the Orange Bowl, since that's what we played for most of the last 40 years.

More meaningful for just two conferences, though. And not even two full conferences, since Colorado Fan, Utah Fan and Nebraska Fan haven't adopted the Rose Bowl yet. I would presume that if you ask most Husker Fans which bowl they hold most dear it would be the Orange Bowl, since that's what we played for most of the last 40 years.

More than two conferences...just look at TV viewership. I'm sure the Rose spanks the Orange.

doesn't northwestern have a championship?

Not unless the University of Chicago loaned them one.

Before '95 Northwestern had only been to a single bowl game in their entire history...and that was because the B1G didn't allow teams to go to consecutive Rose Bowls (which prevented TSUN, the actual '48 conference champ from going).

If they'd go with a +1 model, the 5 major bowls and then the polls place 1 vs 2 on Jan 8th, the BigN could hold onto their Rose Bowl bid and everyone would be happy. But trying to put that into a 4 team playoff is just an enormous headache.

That is why my first choice would be to return (mostly) to the old bowl system with all the main bowls on the 1st (and possibly the 2nd) then pick two to play in a Mega Sponsor National Title Champion Game two weeks later.

Second choice would be a four team play off with the first round played in December at the higher ranked home sites.

Either way ditch current selection process and go to something more along the lines of the NCAA BB tournament selection committee.

The Orange Bowl was great in the 80-90s with the great Miami/Neb/OU Colorado/ND match ups. But in the last 15-20 years, when has the Orange Bowl been a good match-up or had any excitement surrounding it??? The new stadium stinks and I just can't get excited for a WVU-Clemson, Cincy-Va Tech or OU-UConn match up on a Tuesday/Wednesday night.

I agree that the Orange Bowl is no big deal now. It's been a shell of its former self for a long time.

Heck, I can't remember the last time Nebraska played in it. We've bounced around bowls for quite a while now.

You mean you don't remember our fifth national championship?