Offensive Potential

Ziggy

Does anyone else think that Marrow may be a critical factor in a vast improvement for our offense? With the new scheme into its 2nd year, a starter at QB with 2 years of experience, and probably the deepest and most athletic offensive roster since maybe 98 or 99, I think we were missing just one piece. We needed a thumper who could hit a LB with some force, but also on 4th and 1 take the ball and shove it down the D's throat. Marrow sounds like he has the size of Husker FB's of old with the speed and vision of a RB. Could you imagine looking at an offense with, Tmart, Marrow, Burkhead, abdul/green in the diamond, with Reed/Cotten at TE or both, with any of our WR's spread out. We can pound the rock, we can throw all over, option in multiple directions, and we can pitch, sweep, and reverse all day. For the first time in a while I am pretty confident that our offense will help the team and not hurt it. The growth of TMart alone should make this year over last be a major difference. But Marrow is that piece that has been missing, a big back that hits a hole with force and determination. He is the compliment to the two soph backs we have, and will help Burkhead stay off the field in situations that will help lessen the chance our best back (Burkhead) getting hurt. I think Marrow may become something pretty special the next two seasons. With all that we have its hard not to be excited.

Does anyone else think that Marrow may be a critical factor in a vast improvement for our offense? With the new scheme into its 2nd year, a starter at QB with 2 years of experience, and probably the deepest and most athletic offensive roster since maybe 98 or 99, I think we were missing just one piece. We needed a thumper who could hit a LB with some force, but also on 4th and 1 take the ball and shove it down the D's throat. Marrow sounds like he has the size of Husker FB's of old with the speed and vision of a RB. Could you imagine looking at an offense with, Tmart, Marrow, Burkhead, abdul/green in the diamond, with Reed/Cotten at TE or both, with any of our WR's spread out. We can pound the rock, we can throw all over, option in multiple directions, and we can pitch, sweep, and reverse all day. For the first time in a while I am pretty confident that our offense will help the team and not hurt it. The growth of TMart alone should make this year over last be a major difference. But Marrow is that piece that has been missing, a big back that hits a hole with force and determination. He is the compliment to the two soph backs we have, and will help Burkhead stay off the field in situations that will help lessen the chance our best back (Burkhead) getting hurt. I think Marrow may become something pretty special the next two seasons. With all that we have its hard not to be excited.

We could certainly run over about any defense w/ that - since we'd have way more than 11 guys on the field :)

to answer you original question...while it will be nice to have Marrow in there - I don't remember us struggling to pick up 1st downs in short yardage situations last year...which is where I see the benefit of having Marrow. so no, i don't think he'll play much of a part assuming there is a vast improvement. it will be t-marts growth, beck's growth, and the OL growth. maybe a few less drops. those will be what allows this offense to vastly improve, and all would far outweigh Marrow's impact IMO.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but...

PIPELINE

^^^

If this isn't fine-tuned, then whatever scheme, formation, players, etc. you put behind it will not work well. Until then...

Nex is right.

Crappy oline play=crappy offensive production. I'm not too confident about the offensive line right now.

Well I think having a back who can stop rushing DE's and LB's will help create holes for Burkhead and TMart, and hopefully provide a better pass protection so Burkhead can get into the flats. Anyone who tries to underestimate the importance of the offensive line is for a lack of a better term an " IDIOT " . But barring injury I think the offensive line is going to be the best we have had in the last decade. We have depth, experience, and hopefully a group of "skilled" positions able to execute the plays in the normal 3-5 second window. As to the extra guys on the field, the "/" was supposed to be read as an "or" and the extra WR was if we ran a single TE. As the diamond is a 3 back, 1 QB formation.

Marrow will be huge to have this year. If he lives up to the billing he's been receiving lately, he will be a great compliment to Rex. It will be great to have a big, physical thumper we haven't had since Castille, who wasn't even that great.

But, no, by all means, he isn't the key to unlocking the potential of this offense and indeed the entire team. That still rests on the improvement of Taylor's right arm. Even if we have two absolute studs at RB in Rex and Marrox, who complement each other so well, you still need a quarterback who can lead the team downfield, and make clutch throws when he has to, even if that is not very often. The last team that I can remember that came the closest to simply running over teams on their way to a national championship was 2009 Alabama, with Ingram and Richardson as their 1-2 punch. However, even they had Greg McElroy, who while not a stunning QB by any means was very clutch and made all the throws they need him to in order to win them all their games.

Even if Rex kills it again this season and Marrow exceeds expectations and becomes a stud as a complimentary back, we're still going to need to see this improvement we've heard all spring about Taylor carry over into his play next season. He's the ultimate X-factor, and as he goes, so goes our ultimate ceiling as a team.

Marrow can't possibly do anything other than help. He is... at least based upon his size and the testimony of his skill set --- a great bruisng athletic guy. As a fill in for Rex... that will help. As a physical beast for short yardage... that will help. To potentially wear down the opposing defense... that too will help. And... if he can block... once more that is a big help.

Glad to have him.

THe potential is very exciting in the backfield this year.

Edit: http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/football/article_887a99ca-f1db-5f4c-ade6-9020c02772a1.html

And now Big Mike Marrow -- still a fitting description given his 6-foot-2, 250-pound stature -- is in the thick of a battle for Nebraska's starting fullback job this spring.

Better yet, his dad is here to see it up close, serving as a graduate assistant on Bo Pelini's staff.

"It is a special privilege," Vince said.

His son is hungry to play football. This season has been a long time coming.

Mike redshirted at Alabama in 2009. It was a trying time. His grandmother died a couple months before he left for college. Then his great-grandmother passed away two months after he got to Tuscaloosa.

On the football field, Alabama was in the midst of a national championship run. And though he didn't play that first year as a true freshman, Mike was in the mix at running back.

"What people don't understand is Nick Saban recruited him as a big back," Vince said, "and he was right behind Trent Richardson at Alabama as a true freshman."

Marrow will be huge to have this year. If he lives up to the billing he's been receiving lately, he will be a great compliment to Rex. It will be great to have a big, physical thumper we haven't had since Castille, who wasn't even that great.

But, no, by all means, he isn't the key to unlocking the potential of this offense and indeed the entire team. That still rests on the improvement of Taylor's right arm. Even if we have two absolute studs at RB in Rex and Marrox, who complement each other so well, you still need a quarterback who can lead the team downfield, and make clutch throws when he has to, even if that is not very often. The last team that I can remember that came the closest to simply running over teams on their way to a national championship was 2009 Alabama, with Ingram and Richardson as their 1-2 punch. However, even they had Greg McElroy, who while not a stunning QB by any means was very clutch and made all the throws they need him to in order to win them all their games.

Even if Rex kills it again this season and Marrow exceeds expectations and becomes a stud as a complimentary back, we're still going to need to see this improvement we've heard all spring about Taylor carry over into his play next season. He's the ultimate X-factor, and as he goes, so goes our ultimate ceiling as a team.

Funny how you mention McElroy. Their QB this year was cut from almost the same mold. It's one of those reasons why I'm not sold on this whole need for a dynamic, mobile QB that can take it to the house at any time. Who cares - just run the offense and let the other playmakers take it to the house. Nebraska has never really won a championship that way, so I can see why the fans are yearning for the next great running QB...but I'd take those two Alabama QB's any day.

Funny how you mention McElroy. Their QB this year was cut from almost the same mold. It's one of those reasons why I'm not sold on this whole need for a dynamic, mobile QB that can take it to the house at any time. Who cares - just run the offense and let the other playmakers take it to the house. Nebraska has never really won a championship that way, so I can see why the fans are yearning for the next great running QB...but I'd take those two Alabama QB's any day.

exactly, other than being a half way decent scrambler, the qb needs to be able to make plays with his arm, period......all this other bullsh#t is overated, if you can't throw, there is no balance.

Marrow can't possibly do anything other than help. He is... at least based upon his size and the testimony of his skill set --- a great bruisng athletic guy. As a fill in for Rex... that will help. As a physical beast for short yardage... that will help. To potentially wear down the opposing defense... that too will help. And... if he can block... once more that is a big help.

Glad to have him.

me too......he is the guy we need to play in our league, but if will be a first if Beck really incorporates him in the offense......seems we are always after the "darling play".....take it to the house potential, every play......that's nice, but in reality, the idea of pounding the other guys and their backers is a great strategy for the 3rd and 4th quarters...it has been a loongg time since we have really used a fullback at NU......i am not sure Beck is smart enough to utilize the talent....i also don't think he knows what he wants our offensive identity to be.......what our 2 or 3 "bread and butter" plays would be when the chips are down........when you need to sustain that final drive, right on through the red zone and into the end zone.......hello????????

We all know that given the right opportunity Tmart can throw the ball around ex. Okie lite, along with a couple of games this year. The need for solid pass blocking is pretty important. Having Marrow in there to block rather than Burkhead is necessary for two reasons. One his size and speed (supposedly) make him the perfect back to slow down or deflect missed blocks by OL and by blitzing LB/Corners. If Marrow can give TMart 1 or 2 seconds more his completion percentage will go up ( I think by a lot)....also by freeing Burkhead up from being a pass protection back, he can take a delayed hand off, catch a pass in the flats, be a safety valve, or any number of things that Burkhead is very good at turning into high percentage and high yield ( positive yardage) plays for the offense. Also Marrow can take the pressure off of Reed (Cotton) from blocking bigger DE's and concentrate on sealing the OLB or safety, which will then lead to PA passes over the top to one of the most athletic TE's in the country.