NEW DB coach= return to physical

Ziggy

The Wonderlic Personnel Test ™

WPT ™ Sample Questions

1. Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next? 8 4 2 1 ½ ¼ ?

2. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one: 1. true, 2. false, 3. not certain?

The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.

3. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost?

How did you score? a 3 I hope.

I don't know. You didn't provide a key.

Raymond brought an NFL mentality to the college level.

I hate this sentiment. Bo is an NFL guy. He's been quoted as 'running the team like an NFL team' in some article about NFL personnel talking about college coaches who could make the jump.

The reality is Fonzie never moved away from physical technique or bump and run. Our other guys just couldn't handle it.

You obviously have never played college ball. You obviously have never been in film rooms hours at a time. You obviously have never been on a team and had your position coach change a couple times, maybe 3 in a 3yr span.

You realize the NCAA only allows a certain (20 I think) amount of hours per WEEK to practice/films/lift/train?

Bo may "run his team like NFL" but that's different than teaching advance techniques to players who are the best of the best to a bunch of 18-20 yr olds...say like SJB and other position switchers.

How about this: our secondary ROCKED about 3-4 yrs in a row and last yr they, uh, struggled. Maybe it was the technique they were playing?

Bo's defensive schemes are some of the most advanced and complex in the nation.

The "No, it's college, stuff needs to be dumbed down" is an overused argument. Considering you and I both obviously have no idea exactly how advanced the techniques Raymond taught were, I find it silly to assume that they were too much to handle.

To begin with the distinction between Raymond and Sanders was always about what they emphasized, not that Raymond was teaching 'more advanced' stuff. Sanders was a bit looser while Raymond was a technician. I am probably not the person to get into more detail than that but I remember da skers describing more about Sanders' coaching a couple times in the past. Raymond, probably as a function of getting a lot of inexperienced young players who weren't the athletic specimens of the guys who had just left, went back and drilled in the fundamentals of playing the position.

For an example of a guy who didn't really care about technique to the extreme, how about Barney Cotton, who spoke a lot about how he wasn't going to emphasize OL technique and just wanted his guys to play aggressive. That worked out so well that all kinds of outside help was brought in to reinforce the schemes.

How about this: our secondary ROCKED about 3-4 yrs in a row and last yr they, uh, struggled. Maybe it was the technique they were playing?

OR, maybe, we lost Prince, Hagg, Gomes, Osborne, and were without a full-speed Dennard for a good part of the year, while breaking in a bunch of very green players? Maybe that was why we struggled?

And regarding the bold, I assume you are talking about 2010, 2009, 2008, and maybe 2007 when our secondary rocked?

WPT ™ Sample Questions

1. Look at the row of numbers below. What number should come next? 8 4 2 1 ½ ¼ ?

2. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one: 1. true, 2. false, 3. not certain?

and you teach where? Nice

I never heard Raymond didn't think good DB's played with their hands - was there a link or reference to that somewhere in the past?

I do remember Pelini saying in the pre-season last year that he thought the B1G might call games a little differently than the Big 12, therefore, his DB's may not get away with as much contact as they did before. However, as the season went on, our DB's got better. I think this had a lot to do with the repetitions and amount of experience those guys got, but I also thought the coaches and DB's started getting more physical as the year went on, as they realize the B1G wasn't going to be calling the games very differently.

You missed where i correctly quoted it later in the thread. And if you actually read the artice it says he was teaching both.

Here's an article about it. There was more press and plenty of talk on the board and quite frankly I am glad he (Raymond) left. Fonsie tells the story...

http://my.journalsta...adjustment.html

Ok but that was before the season.

This after the season.

"I've learned a lot from him, more than I did from coach (Marvin) Sanders," Dennard says of the former Husker secondary coach. "Not knocking Coach Sanders at all — he was a very good coach. But Coach Raymond, he taught me a lot of things with my technique."

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_19a37718-e42a-53e2-971d-a453dc58fe27.html

Cant find where he said he learned more from Raymond in one year then he has his entire life. but its out there. Raymond is a great coach, like it or not. He was teaching them technique to go along with being physical. I dont really like him either because of how he left, saying he wouldnt go and then left anyway, but there is no denying he was a great coach. I find it amusing that some are arguing that this is not the NFL so our corners dont need to know NFL techniqes...why and the hell would you not want to be the best you can possibly be? Who cares if your going up against the worst WR this week, next week you could have Justin Blackmon, or Alshon Jeffery. Some of you are beyond ignorant, just because he left the all mighty NU he is a bad coach, good ridance you all say. ..Hilarious.

I for one could care less if Coach Raymond lied and left. I was merely pointing out an article about him getting away from being physical and going to a more technical style of defense, after all, thats what the poster asked. I, as a fan, was not pleased with the results and I really don't see him flurishing at LSU only because I don't think their DB's will retain the info. Especially if you are scoring 4's on a Wonderlic. Heres an example of some questions:

WPT ™ Sample Questions

WPT ™ Sample Questions

You beat me to it (by a couple days)

Great news to hear the physicality back with our DB's. Last year was an awful combination. A DL that could not pressure the QB and CB's who didn't knock WR's off routes...easy pickens for the opposition...and it showed...a lot. I hope coach Kaz is bringing physicality back to the DL also. We are suited to play an aggressive, fast, attacking defense...it will draw the right recruits also...this is Blackshirt football...I missed it last year.

:bonesflag:

I agree with the physical style. There are times where technique and finesse is needed, but I like more of a physical bump-and-run style defense. It showed during 2009 and 2010 how effective it could be. And even against normal sets where a 4-3 is utilized, I still am in favor of keeping those receivers jammed to disrupt timing routes.

I like more aggression from our defesive line and linebackers. I hope we see more blitzing from linebackers, although not too much. I wouldn't want to be in Cover 0 all the time, but I figured we would see more blitzing from Bo like we did in 2003. Maybe some zone blitizing too.

We will see though, it's a step in the right direction. I love hearing "they play physical" and "they play more man to man defense than any other team in the country".

It's all about pride and it makes me glad to have such a tradition on defense as we do.