Louis Farrakhan: "Jesus was a black man" ..."he was a Muslim"

Quite awhile back I watched a show on Discovery or National Geographic or one of those type of stations and scientists attempted to re-create through all available methods what Jesus may have looked like. I may be confused but I think they may have used the shroud of turin along with a vast expanse of archeological, historical, sociological, and biblical information to reconstruct their best guess. This may be a shock to some of you but what they arrived at was not a European Caucasian male look. I know it sounds crazy but they arrived at a typical Middle Eastern Jewish look for Jesus. LIght brown olive skin and all. Who woulda thought a Middle Eastern male of 2000 years ago would look similar to other Middle Eastern males of 2000 years ago. Mind boggling huh?

Most Jews, now and especially then, shared certain physical characteristics and genetic markers that don't fit our contemporary understanding of what it is to be 'black.'

The term you are looking for is 'semitic'

Jeshua ben Joseph (Josh son of Joesph aka Jesus) probably most resembled the native peoples who still live in the region (Jordanians, Palestinians, Lebanese etc). Remember that many of the current Jewish residents of Israel have only recently been re-introduced into the region after having lived in Europe for centuries.

So no Jesus wasn't blonde haired & blue eyed like portrayed on the paintings (that followed you with their eyes) so many of us saw as kid but he almost certainly didn't share the sub-Saharan features that Mr. Farrakhan would like to believe either.

Google "Yakub" and you'll find out all you need to know about what passes for 'history' being taught by Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam.

Talk about a man who overcame many social stigmas of his day, Sammy Davis Jr was black, Jewish and handicapped! Sarcasm aside, it seems like Louis Farrakhan loves to keep his name in the news.

Like Rev Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Rachel Maddow, Rush Limbaugh, Bill Maher, Ann Coulter, and the rest of the mouth breathing morons...

I find him highly entertaining

Quite awhile back I watched a show on Discovery or National Geographic or one of those type of stations and scientists attempted to re-create through all available methods what Jesus may have looked like. I may be confused but I think they may have used the shroud of turin along with a vast expanse of archeological, historical, sociological, and biblical information to reconstruct their best guess. This may be a shock to some of you but what they arrived at was not a European Caucasian male look. I know it sounds crazy but they arrived at a typical Middle Eastern Jewish look for Jesus. LIght brown olive skin and all. Who woulda thought a Middle Eastern male of 2000 years ago would look similar to other Middle Eastern males of 2000 years ago. Mind boggling huh?

This.

Pretty sure the Middle Eastern look for Jesus would be the logical decision. If you believe that the Shroud of Turin is real, the image seems to reveal a Middle Eastern man. Obviously belief in that item will be completely dependent on your beliefs and what not, but thought i'd throw that out there.

and as far as muslim..... I'm assuming he was a Jew, just throwin that out there too.....

Because it was an article on the Blaze (Glenn Beck's venture) and linked from Drudge I wanted to see it for myself in the video and he did indeed actually say it...

"You're not trained to accept wisdom from a black person no matter how wise that person is, Jesus was a black man because Jesus said "not my will but god's will", you know how we say that in Arabic? Islam, he was a Muslim."

farrakhan1.jpg

Just to start off I understand the commonly floated perspective in Islam that more or less says that a "Muslim" is one who submits to God so in their view Abraham was also a Muslim but still, it comes off as

:facepalm:

The guy is a complete idiot and has no clue what he is even talking about since islam wasn't even around until 600 A. D.

http://thehistorygoy.hubpages.com/hub/Start-of-Islam

[Actually, there is a description of him in the Bible.

I doubt the 'living' Jesus had fiery burning eyes and brightly glowing skin (not to mention a sword for a tongue). BTW that passage in Rev. is where many point as 'evidence' that Jesus was African as John states he had hair 'white like wool'. Some have taken that to mean wool = afro.

The other passage often quoted (Isiah 53) doesn't actually give a description, just states that there was nothing exceptional about his appearance.

Just the same, you only have to think about what people who are born in the middle east look like today to know that Jesus wasn't blond haired nor blue eyed. Most likely, he looked like a middle eastern man.

borat_01_600.jpg

Hair like wool works for me. Feet like brass work for me too.

If you compare the passage with other similar descriptions (Isiah 1:18 for example) it's most likely that 'white like wool/pure wool' was a more a description of color rather than texture.

Regarding the appearance of his feet the actual Greek word translates as 'white brass' and combined with the next line about glowing as if from a furnace again seems to be more of a description of the heavenly/otherworldly consistent with other such in the books rather than a human skin tone.

To me, that sounds like a person of middle eastern background. It changes nothing for me nor my beliefs so I'm good to go.

While I of course believe that the man people think of as Jesus most likely falls into that group I think it is a mistake to make that judgement using a few lines out of context of a dream of another man that occurred 25-50+ years after the death of Jesus.