Spring football may soon have a new look

Excel

Spring Football  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is talk of changing Spring football games from simply large practices that happen to be open to the public to scheduled scrimmage games against teams from rival universities...

"The American Football Coaches Association board meets in Arizona next month, possibly proposing NCAA rule changes that would allow schools to scrimmage"

"It wouldn't be unprecedented, though, because other college sports do it."

"Mark Dantonio discussed it a couple years ago at a Big Ten Coaches meeting....the Big Ten and Mid-American Conference could perhaps form a partnership."

"I think it would be a great idea," Hoke said.

"The NFL does it, why shouldn't we?"

I think there's value in both. I'd still want a Spring Game even from a coaching perspective. Opportunity to work more of your own guys in there.

Could do both. Have the "Spring Game" the Saturday before for multiple reps........then the official "scrimmage" vs. an outside opponent to finish off the spring on practice number 15.

Total Pass.

The risk for injury is high when you have a bunch of guys from some small school trying to prove they deserved a scholarhip offer from one of the big boys. Rather not risk getting star players hurt in a scrimmage because some kid who is upset they weren't given a scholarship offer to a big time program takes a shot at the knees.

total mistake.... keep it traditional

Budgets are already stretched and though one might think playing another would increase the revenue it won't. At least not at DoNU where we already sell 60K plus tickets. If they scheduled a "fake" game against another university, the proceeds would have to be split between the schools and therefore lost revenue to the host schools that seem to nearly sell out in the current scrimmage style.

I'm not getting the 'injury' excuse...how would it be any different than a conventional spring game, or any practice, for that matter? Injuries will happen no matter what, it's just the nature of the game. Whether it's practice, a scrimmage, or the season...if you're not risking injury...you're not doing it right.

I'm not getting the 'injury' excuse...how would it be any different than a conventional spring game, or any practice, for that matter? Injuries will happen no matter what, it's just the nature of the game. Whether it's practice, a scrimmage, or the season...if you're not risking injury...you're not doing it right.

I understand what you're saying but that being said, I can live with a season ending injury happening against South Dakota State When it counts before one that happens against Kansas in a "scrimmage".... Just sayin!