for what it's worth

Bakhal

I figure that I would vent a little and give my 2 cents about the huskers talent situation, ah here we go, first of all on the 2005 husker squad 8 of 11 offensive starters were recruited by Frank Solich and 11 of 11 defensive starters were recruited by Frank solich. What this means is that, including kickers and punters, 20 of 24 starters, 83% of the Husker football team were recruited by Frankie. Now, there are some talented players in this group, but there are some gaping deficiencies. The deal is is that when it comes time to assess blame for the team's talent level, Billy C does not shoulder the bulk of the blame.

To make things worse, many of the offensive players in that group were recruited to play option heavy offense that is 180 degrees from the type of offense they are now playing. The point is those of you who believe that Billy c was handed handed the keys to the ferrari are really not paying close attention. imo he was handed a team that was lacking in talent and and are ill suited to run his offensive schemes.

Im not trying to condemn frank for poor recruiting, thats all said and done and in the past, but the effects of poor recruiting from early 2000 is being felt big time and can not be ignored.

Bottom line is we need patience and need to rally around these kid's and support what we have now, and give it time to get better. Stick together husker nation :thumbs

So what you're saying is KU was loaded with talent. They're talent is head and shoulders better than NU? Matt Jones is playing a receiver in the NFL. He played QB at Arkansas. Players can switch positions if need be. OU starts 10 freshmen and redshirt freshmen. If the talent brought in was so spectacular, then they should be playing like OU's freshmen are.

You left some key stats out. The D1 sack leader was a Solich recruit (no talent there). Ross was a Solich recruit (yep, no talent there). Nobody was questioning the D talent when we had a top notch unit. Now, we have less than KU?

I realize there are some on this board who no matter what will hate BC. However, there are just as many that will kiss BC's feet and make any and every excuse for a reason to keep him. I don't buy the talent card you're playing. KU has 40 to 15 ass whooping talent above NU? I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres my take. yes, the kansas d definitely had more talent the the N o-line. no question. i think they were ranked #2 in th big 12...no bad...

as far as whose fault, this is an issue that will never be decided. Frank was able to bring some talent to lincoln. my perspective, he just did not bring enough! BC is doing a much better job. IMO.

we should have an infusion of some better o-line talent next year. once the o-line gets going, so will the rest of this offense.

Where's all the difference makers Billy recruited? All we heard was Brooks could catch, Lucky was a game-breaker and these two are relegated to kickoffs. Bowman was a 5 star Juco and he can't cover sh*t. It's not like these coaches have second jobs and are too busy to coach these players. It's time to open the practices and see if we are getting our moneys worth cause I have a hard time believing any coaching is taking place. Watching Texas & USC play interchange freshmen really makes me wonder.

So what you're saying is KU was loaded with talent. They're talent is head and shoulders better than NU? Matt Jones is playing a receiver in the NFL. He played QB at Arkansas. Players can switch positions if need be. OU starts 10 freshmen and redshirt freshmen. If the talent brought in was so spectacular, then they should be playing like OU's freshmen are.

You left some key stats out. The D1 sack leader was a Solich recruit (no talent there). Ross was a Solich recruit (yep, no talent there). Nobody was questioning the D talent when we had a top notch unit. Now, we have less than KU?

I realize there are some on this board who no matter what will hate BC. However, there are just as many that will kiss BC's feet and make any and every excuse for a reason to keep him. I don't buy the talent card you're playing. KU has 40 to 15 ass whooping talent above NU? I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KU has 40 to 15 ass whooping talent above NU?

You make it sound like NU was blown out, which was not the case. The score is not indicitive of what happened. KU blocked a field goal and returned it for a touchdown. KU also intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. That's 14 points off of turnovers.

KU had a 70 yard touchdown run because of poor defensive tackling that missed a key tackle at the line of scrimmage that could have ended that drive, but it didnt. Again, that is something that can be corrected by the players themselves learning how to tackle properly and putting more speed in the linebacker department, which we already have but are suffering due to 2 key injuries in that area in Bradley and octavien.

I know, i know, some of you will look beyond these 3 touchdowns and say "who cares, they lost and should have won" but this loss is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

There's nothing that can't be corrected in this loss by recruiting guys who actually matchup with opponents either height wise (grixby), talent wise (RB converted to DB) or inexperience (Tietdke) or lack of concentration (Bowman)

Go ahead and criticze this post all you want, but you know and i know this is what it is

Where's all the difference makers Billy recruited? All we heard was Brooks could catch, Lucky was a game-breaker and these two are relegated to kickoffs. Bowman was a 5 star Juco and he can't cover sh*t. It's not like these coaches have second jobs and are too busy to coach these players. It's time to open the practices and see if we are getting our moneys worth cause I have a hard time believing any coaching is taking place. Watching Texas & USC play interchange freshmen really makes me wonder.

Texas, USC and Oklahoma that are playing freshman have experienced starters around them to guide them, we don't have that kind of leadership for several reasons. One reason being is some guys are just not vocal (for example Bullocks)

Only 1 guy is vocal on this team and that's McKeon. Senior leadership is not there, plain and simple

You make it sound like NU was blown out, which was not the case. The score is not indicitive of what happened. KU blocked a field goal and returned it for a touchdown. KU also intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. That's 14 points off of turnovers.

KU had a 70 yard touchdown run because of poor defensive tackling that missed a key tackle at the line of scrimmage that could have ended that drive, but it didnt. Again, that is something that can be corrected by the players themselves learning how to tackle properly and putting more speed in the linebacker department, which we already have but are suffering due to 2 key injuries in that area in Bradley and octavien.

I know, i know, some of you will look beyond these 3 touchdowns and say "who cares, they lost and should have won" but this loss is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

There's nothing that can't be corrected in this loss by recruiting guys who actually matchup with opponents either height wise (grixby), talent wise (RB converted to DB) or inexperience (Tietdke) or lack of concentration (Bowman)

Go ahead and criticze this post all you want, but you know and i know this is what it is

I will criticize this post because it is not what it is. Total yards: KU - 428, NU - 138. Even if you take away the 70 yard run that's still a difference of over 200 yards. We got it handed to us and that's that. Nothing that can't be corrected about this loss? You talked defense your whole post. What about the offense? 138 yards. I don't care how bad the offensive line is, that just sucks.

So what you're saying is KU was loaded with talent.  They're talent is head and shoulders better than NU?  Matt Jones is playing a receiver in the NFL.  He played QB at Arkansas.  Players can switch positions if need be.  OU starts 10 freshmen and redshirt freshmen.  If the talent brought in was so spectacular, then they should be playing like OU's freshmen are. 

You left some key stats out.  The D1 sack leader was a Solich recruit (no talent there).  Ross was a Solich recruit (yep, no talent there).  Nobody was questioning the D talent when we had a top notch unit.  Now, we have less than KU?

I realize there are some on this board who no matter what will hate BC.  However, there are just as many that will kiss BC's feet and make any and every excuse for a reason to keep him.  I don't buy the talent card you're playing.  KU has 40 to 15 ass whooping talent above NU?  I don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KU has 40 to 15 ass whooping talent above NU?

Corrected by recruiting? Bowman is a BC recruit. In fact, isn't Grixby a true sophomore? This would also make him a BC recruit. BC didn't have to give him a scholly. Didn't we recruit and give a scholly to another kid from Omaha this year with a similar build as Grixby for special teams? This recruiting talk is getting way out of hand. We have you saying recruiting will fix the problems with half the guys listed as BC recruits. We have skersfan saying probably our most prized recruit isn't any good (M. Lucky).

These excuses are getting way out of hand. When you start talking about recruiting and then jump on recruits that BC brought in, well it just counters your entire point.

Like Utah Husker pointed out, 428 yards offense to 138 yards offense in itself is total domination. If 40 to 15 isn't a blow out, then I'm just not sure what is.

Face the facts, with the loss to KU we are not in the bottom 25% of the unusually weak Big 12 conference. Even if we beat KState, the only teams below us are OSU, Baylor, and KState. Jim Rose made a statement I found hilarious. He said it seems in the last 2 years opposing players are having record days against NU. Boy that's a trend we should be proud of! :sarcasm

You know, if we hadn't got a safety the score would have been 40 to 13. If we hadn't got that fumble inside KU's 20, it would have been 40 to 6. If if's and but's were candy and nuts, it'd be Christmas everyday. Fact is, we got our asses handed to us by lowly KU. KU under Mangino is making progress (number 10 defense in the country). NU under BC is regressing!

I know this is an apples and oranges type of comparison, but I have read a lot on boards about talent and recruiting. Lets use our Iowa example again here:

1999 record: 1-10 (pulled in 59th ranked recruiting class)

2000 record: 3-9 (pulled in 60th ranked recruiting class)

2001 record: 7-5 (pulled in 51st ranked recruiting class)

2002 record: 11-2 (pulled in 43rd ranked recruiting class)

2003 record: 10-3 (pulled in 38th ranked recruiting class)

2004 record: 10-2 (pulled in 11th ranked recruiting class)

*took Ferentz 1 year longer because his recruiting classes were not that special

It is interesting (at least to me) that Iowa finished--

8th in the final polls in 2002- the recruiting rankings were 59,60,51

8th in the final polls in 2003- the recruiting rankings were 59,60,51,43

8th in the final polls in 2004- the recruiting rankings were 60,51,43,38

will be unranked in 2005- the recruiting rankings were 51,43,38,11

better recruiting doesn't always mean better results. ;)