B1G and Conference expansion?

If that is true about the Big 12 then it looks like they take the place of the ACC as one of the 4 that survives. It is looking like the 4 major conferences to survive will be the Big 12, SEC, Pac 12 and the B1G. where as before it was looking like the ACC would make it and the Big 12 would not. We will see. I not sure what I think about 16 team super conferences overall but I am all for more games matching 2 big time teams. I don't like the money games, so if we had bigger conferences along with alliances maybe we would have less of the directional schools and more big boy football.

If FSU leaves and BCS money is not flowing into the ACC it will be scramble mode for everyone to get out. I think FSU and Clemson are gone. That dosen't mean the 4 conferences will all start trying to get to 16, that makes no sense to me. Why would the B1G for example start snatching up the likes of Pitt and Syracuse when they don't add more money to the pot than the average B1G school?

I could see both the SEC and B1G having interest in a pairing of NC and VATech. Georgia Tech could be a Big12 target. Maryland, NC State, Virginia, BC, and/or Miami could have a fit somewhere I just can't see it now. ND is still the big chip that needs to fall, and if this playoff forces them into a conference my guess is B1G.

One thing that seems pretty obivious is we have 4 big boy conferences and 4 conference champs. There is your playoff, PAC vs B1G and SEC vs Big12. You even have 4 CCG's so now you have an 8 team playoff. Everybody else can go out in the fall and run a team out onto the field in front of a half full 50,000 seat stadium and wait until basketball season starts.

Not sure if it's a good thing, but that's how I see it.

Ugh, I think you are right even if it looks lillegal. How is the Pac getting to 16 then?

I think that one team they should go after is Boise St. even if I don't think it would ever happen. Geographically, it would make sense for everyone involved, but geography doesn't really seem to matter to some schools any more when considering which conference they should join.

Sounds like Clemson is going to be the first domino per some dudes on twitter.

Here is a question. IF and when we get to 4 major conferences deciding a national title, who is the biggest name left out of the Big Ten,SEC,Big XII or Pac-12?

I see ND and VA Tech finding a place to land, so that leaves Miami, Boise, and Pitt as the biggest "brands" I see left out. Any of them could land somewhere it is a changing situation.

Sounds like Clemson is going to be the first domino per some dudes on twitter.

Here is a question. IF and when we get to 4 major conferences deciding a national title, who is the biggest name left out of the Big Ten,SEC,Big XII or Pac-12?

I see ND and VA Tech finding a place to land, so that leaves Miami, Boise, and Pitt as the biggest "brands" I see left out. Any of them could land somewhere it is a changing situation.

ND will land in the Big XII I think.

VaTech will find a spot in the Big Ten or the SEC.

wow. Miami of Florida could be left out of the entire thing unless the Big XII decides to take them.

Sounds like Clemson is going to be the first domino per some dudes on twitter. Here is a question. IF and when we get to 4 major conferences deciding a national title, who is the biggest name left out of the Big Ten,SEC,Big XII or Pac-12?

That's a fun question to ponder. I agree with you that we will probably get down to four but which ones will make it?

The Big Ten, SEC and PAC 12 are already sitting on the lifeboat with the ACC and Big XII fighting for that last seat. Just a few weeks ago I would've thought the ACC was in it but with smoke pouring out of Clemson and Tallahassee and people chucking tinder at Raleigh, Miami and Blacksburg the ACC may be done as a football conference. Where will that leave them?

I don't know, something tells me that they'll always be around as a Basketball conference pending some unforeseen catastrophe and I still don't think the Big XII is built to last, maybe for five or ten years but that house will collapse. The Big East is done.

So I'll aproach it two ways:

A few months ago I'd have said maybe:

K-State, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Cincinatti, Southern Florida and/or Louisville.

Now:

Maryland, Wake, BC, Virginia (maybe) Cincinatti, Southern Florida and/or Louisville

I have no idea how this all will play out with the ACC. Will they fold or somehow stand with the Big East...that'll determine a lot of this. To what degree will football be played outside the Big Four?

Either way New Mexico State and Idaho need to just pack it in and move on down to the FCS.

EDIT: hadn't even thought of Boise...and Notre Dame? This is really going to force their hand...its going to be much tougher scraping together schedules and probably impossible to get to the NC if they don't join a conference.

The Pac-16 is going to make some serious reaches like they did with Colorado and Utah.

Not really their fault that football is so thin out there but who do they add? BYU? I don't think the Berkeleys would like that.

They're in a similar situation to us, just much worse. For us there aren't a whole lot of great grabs in or directly bordering our footprint that aren't already pretty well committed to one of the Big Four, Notre Dame is the sole exception. The West Coasters would have to travel many states and hundreds upon hundreds of miles...

The PAC12 is going to be the one conference that really gets screwed if everyone goes for 16 teams because if the Big 12 holds together, there will be nobody of any quality for left for them to pick up. Every team they add will be a downgrade to the conference as a whole, including Boise State. Yea they have a good run going in football but have a relatively small fan base and bring nothing in the other sports and academics. Who's left? Hawaii? Wyoming? New Mexico? Fresno State? Try to steal Kansas from the Big 12? It's hard enough to think of four schools, let alone four quality schools.

If forced to 16, the Big 10's top priorities should look like this -

1. Notre Dame (grabs large share of NY market and strengthens national market)

2. Virginia Tech (large share of DC market)

3.* (if VT is off the board) Maryland (DC market)

4. Ga. Tech (Atlanta market)

5.* Syracuse &/or Rutgers (more NY market)

Others to consider

- Boston College (great academics and Boston market)

- North Carolina (basketball + solid national following, great academics)

- Pitt (Despite already having the Pennsylvania market, they still have a solid athletics program)

- Virginia (DC market again)

Others to consider

- Pitt (Despite already having the Pennsylvania market, they still have a solid athletics program)

who is going to force the B1G to 16 schools?

I am torn by all this. On one hand, I worry about the B1G being stuck in the past and not thinking outside the box and as a result being left behind the SEC and now B12. On the other hand, outside of ND, does any other school out there that is realistic (Pitt, Rtugers, Maryland) add money to the pot or will the current B1G schools take a hair cut for them?

I heard on Bill King this morning that the B1G payout was $25 mill per team (except Nebraska who is not fully vested yet) and he kept stating Northwestern at $25 Million was double that of FSU. Pretty amazing. You would think B1G would be fairly attractive to some of these ACC schools.

Others to consider

I am with you, we don't go to 16 unless it suits us.