teaching kids a second language

Has anyone successfully tought their child a second language ? I know there are programs like Rosetta Stone, but I would prefer a school-type setting where other children of the similar abilities interact with each other. Our local school district has a program that teaches french immersion-50% of the day is taught in French starting at the age of 5, but we are third on the waiting list and I really doubt we will get in because it is a highly desired program. Also, I would prefer he learn Spanish. I am not against starting an after school program that teaches Spanish, but I really don't know where to start and I am monolingual myself. I was wondering if others knew of schools that offer intensive second language training as an after school program that I could contact.

• 2 weeks later...

We are trying to teach our 2-year old Mandarin. And I'm trying to learn it at the same time. He is smarter than me in languages--able to pick up words more quickly. But I know a LOT more about Husker football than that little punk. :lol:

• Fire 1

Ew @ French. I'm not sure why schools teach French, German, etc. There's just not much use for either of those languages at all...Spanish is what you need to learn if you want the language to be useful later on down the line.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but it may help get you started while you're looking for the program you want. The BBC has free online language lessons. I haven't tried them yet, but I plan on trying to brush up my French with this.

LINK

That's a pretty good site and free. I would consider trying to start some sort of language academy after school for grade school aged kids but I just don't know where to start.

Ew @ French. I'm not sure why schools teach French, German, etc. There's just not much use for either of those languages at all...Spanish is what you need to learn if you want the language to be useful later on down the line.

that's ignorant

that's ignorant

Yeah...Everyone knows Chinese will be spoken by our overlords.

that's ignorant

It's not about utility, it's more of the process of learning and what you enjoy. I learned Latin in high school and it was a blast. A very enriching experience, just as learning French or German (or Spanish) would be.

NUance, is your wife chinese? If not, that seems like it'll be a hell of an uphill climb.

It's not about utility, it's more of the process of learning and what you enjoy. I learned Latin in high school and it was a blast. A very enriching experience, just as learning French or German (or Spanish) would be.

NUance, is your wife chinese? If not, that seems like it'll be a hell of an uphill climb.

Knowledge of Latin is a very useful tool. It helps with French, Italian, Spanish and many words in English. I do not "know" Latin but I have a lot of familiarity with it.

that's ignorant

I mean unless you're planning to move to Europe...

Yeah, Latin could be useful and interesting just for the fact that many, many languages are Latin-based. And it can be fun to learn whatever language you want. But if you want something that you can use down the line and will be helpful on a resume, it is Spanish. Spanish is by far the most-spoken second language in this country.

But if you want something that you can use down the line and will be helpful on a resume, it is Spanish. Spanish is by far the most-spoken second language in this country.

Definitely. Everyone should be taught Spanish as a requirement in this country, beginning in Grade School.

EDIT - I took German in High School and I learned French as an adult when some family moved to France, but the biggest regret I have is that I never learned Spanish. Would be tremendously useful.

that's ignorant

I mean unless you're planning to move to Europe...

French could come in handy in parts of Canada, but yeah you'd have no use for it here.