Who is the #2 football player on the team?

The #2 player on the team is Rex Burkhead.

The #1 player is Taylor Martinez, and it isn't even debatable. Love him, hate him or indifferent to him, you have to acknowledge that the team - at least the offense - runs through the Quarterback. Commanding presence in the huddle, ability to stay calm under pressure, ability to rally the troops when we get down, that's all the QB's job. Rex is a stud superman workhorse, but he's not the Quarterback.

Taylor is the most "valuable" guy on the team, Rex is arguably 2nd. But who is the 2nd "best football player" on the team?

Last year, I would have said David, Rex, Dennard were 1-2-3...even though Taylor was still the most "valuable" he was far from the "best". As you mentioned, the QB is always the most "valuable".

Yeah the title and the opening thread are misleading this entire thread! The title asks for the #2 football player. Doesn't specify "best or most valuable" and the opening post describes a conversation about the 2nd best player behind Rex. I'm with Knapp on most important or valuable being Tmart. Anytime a guy handles the ball on every play as well as the checks at the line getting us into the right play, he has to get the most valuable nod.

As far as best goes, I would venture that based on impact leadership and athleticism, it would be Stafford for me. I think he is gonna be a beast this year. Pelinis track record with these juco kids suggests as much...

lol I post 2 words and there's a sh#tstorm

first, I chose based on who is the best at their position, not by who is most valuable. 2nd, Taylor is not a great qb...He's a good quarterback but not a great one. That could change. So is he the 2nd best player of the team? Maybe, probably - like I said its either him or Baker. The reason I said "sadly" is because...he's not a great qb! And in relation to the question, we don't have a Caputo, a David, a Dennard, or any "great" player on the team anymore besides Rex. Which means that Taylor being 2nd best is a bit disappointing. Maybe he'll step it up a notch this year. Maybe some other guys will step it up this year. We'll see.

lol I post 2 words and there's a sh#tstorm

first, I chose based on who is the best at their position, not by who is most valuable. 2nd, Taylor is not a great qb...He's a good quarterback but not a great one. That could change. So is he the 2nd best player of the team? Maybe, probably - like I said its either him or Baker. The reason I said "sadly" is because...he's not a great qb! And in relation to the question, we don't have a Caputo, a David, a Dennard, or any "great" player on the team anymore besides Rex. Which means that Taylor being 2nd best is a bit disappointing. Maybe he'll step it up a notch this year. Maybe some other guys will step it up this year. We'll see.

hate to pick this out of everything you said...but Caputo? seriously? :P

Caputo was awesome at his position.

bahahahahaha - you just lost all credibility to post anything negative related to Martinez (just messin). But really? "awesome"? He was an OK player, maybe was a great leader/teammate/person. But awesome? Not even close - he got steamrolled far too many times for me to think he's even close to be awesome. I think people cloud the fact that Caputo was a great guy, and represented a lot of what we want in a Husker player...with how good he actually was as a Husker player.

bahahahahaha - you just lost all credibility to post anything negative related to Martinez (just messin). But really? "awesome"? He was an OK player, maybe was a great leader/teammate/person. But awesome? Not even close - he got steamrolled far too many times for me to think he's even close to be awesome. I think people cloud the fact that Caputo was a great guy, and represented a lot of what we want in a Husker player...with how good he actually was as a Husker player.

This. So much this.

Loved the guy. Was not enamored of the product on the field. Heart of a lion, but he needed a body two sizes bigger.

Loved the guy. Was not enamored of the product on the field. Heart of a lion, but he needed a body two sizes bigger.

I loved Hickman before him too - for the same reasons. Only Hickman was a better player. I think Caputo was the type of leader/player he was because of Hickman. I really hope some of Caputo rubbed off on one of our more athletic young guys, like Hickman rubbed off on Caputo. That's a dangerous combination in a center.

Fine. He was the best player on the line, but whatever. My point remains the same though.

I actually haven't seen a lot of negativity towards Taylor in a few weeks. And it's because he's "our" QB that he's going to get both more praise, and more ridicule than most other players. The most visible player on the team is going to receive the most commentary. It is what it is. You love Taylor and ride his jock, some hate him as a QB to his core, others are still skeptical and on the fence. We'll never have a QB any different. Hate the post, but why do you always have to attack the poster as if he just crapped on your front porch?

Lol! You just gotta be kidding. You're on a huge bong-a-thon if you actually believe that.

Fine. He was the best player on the line, but whatever. My point remains the same though.

Fine. He was the best player on the line at the center position.