Who is the #2 football player on the team?

Since it's been brought up, because of this thread I was just thinking a little bit ago that Rex is going to be a great mid round pick for some NFL team. His ability to turn nothing into 3-4 yards is such a huge asset in the NFL.

and he'll be a worker, leader, etc. Woodhead type of guy. I could see him making it in the NFL.

I didnt think it would be that hard to pick till i thought about it...

Legitimate possibilities:

Taylor Martinez-When he is on, he is one of the most dynamic players on the field... When he is off, it is bad.... really bad.

Ameer Abdullah- He showed some bursts that made him fun to watch--not enough playing time to be considered #2

Jamal Turner- Same thing as Ameer

Kenny Bell- He can be a great player, but tends to disappear at times

Can you give this position to an O-lineman?

Now on Defense

Baker- Guy can beast mode it but i dont think he is our 2nd best def player.. mucless player on team

Will compton-lots of inconsistency, but had some big games last year.

I gotta give it to Taylor.

To be quite honest with you, TMart played better at QB last year than Dennard Robinson did. Check the stats. Robinson is an electrifying athlete but an absolutely sh**ty QB. He threw 15 picks last year. That is unacceptable. It appears that he is holding Michigan back from what they really would like to do.

To be quite honest with you, TMart played better at QB last year than Dennard Robinson did. Check the stats. Robinson is an electrifying athlete but an absolutely sh**ty QB. He threw 15 picks last year. That is unacceptable. It appears that he is holding Michigan back from what they really would like to do.

Taylor didn't have any really rough games last year like he did against Washington 2.0. He also never had a great game like he had against Washington 1.0, K-State, or Oklahoma State. Ohio State maybe. He was consistently good, but never really great.

As for being better than Robinson. Not sure I could go that far. As you said, look at the stats. 7 more picks, but also 7 more touchdowns. If those extra picks were so unacceptable, then they wouldn't have finished with as many wins as they did. Otherwise very similar passing stats. Dennard edges Taylor with a 139.7 rating to Taylor's 126.5. He had 5 100 yard rushing games to Taylor's 3. 1176 yards to Taylor's 874. 5.3 per cary average to Taylor's 4.6. 16 rushing TDs to Taylors 9. And in the most important game of their season, against Ohio State...he was 14/17, 167yrds, 3TDs, 0INT, 26 attempts for 170 yards. Big time QBs perform in the big games.

Also, you should look at the scrambling ability of the 2. Dennard had 7 sacks in 2010, 13 last year. Taylor had 26 in 2010, 21 last year. And if you try to blame all of those on the OL then you definitely weren't watching the games.

Taylor didn't have any really rough games last year like he did against Washington 2.0. He also never had a great game like he had against Washington 1.0, K-State, or Oklahoma State. Ohio State maybe. He was consistently good, but never really great.

As for being better than Robinson. Not sure I could go that far. As you said, look at the stats. 7 more picks, but also 7 more touchdowns. If those extra picks were so unacceptable, then they wouldn't have finished with as many wins as they did. Otherwise very similar passing stats. Dennard edges Taylor with a 139.7 rating to Taylor's 126.5. He had 5 100 yard rushing games to Taylor's 3. 1176 yards to Taylor's 874. 5.3 per cary average to Taylor's 4.6. 16 rushing TDs to Taylors 9. And in the most important game of their season, against Ohio State...he was 14/17, 167yrds, 3TDs, 0INT, 26 attempts for 170 yards. Big time QBs perform in the big games.

Also, you should look at the scrambling ability of the 2. Dennard had 7 sacks in 2010, 13 last year. Taylor had 26 in 2010, 21 last year. And if you try to blame all of those on the OL then you definitely weren't watching the games.

That was a nice way to break it down and I enjoyed reading it, thanks! I would say that I would give the edge to Robinson too. I like Taylor, despite some of the mistakes he makes, but I do respect what Robinson has done at Michigan.

Same here. I however will not elevate Robinson to the level some in the media will going into this season. He'll likely be towards the top of most pre-season Heisman ballots. He's better than T-Mart, but he's got a long ways to go. He's not Cam Newton, won't be Tebow, and will likely be out shined by another QB in his own conference this season. (and I'm not talking about Martinez...though I'd really love for it to be him)

Also keep in mind Robinson (like Taylor) - was playing in a new offensive last season. Both could make large strides this season.

We're also comparing Sophomore Taylor Martinez to Junior Denard Robinson.

Regarding sacks - Taylor was sacked six times in the bowl game alone, including on back-to-back-to-back plays, so take that with a grain of salt. The O Line had just about given up by then.

Regarding sacks - Taylor was sacked six times in the bowl game alone, including on back-to-back-to-back plays, so take that with a grain of salt. The O Line had just about given up by then.

Both in their 2nd year of being full-time starters. Both identical in age (i don't think robinson took a redshirt).

Looked it up: Robinson DoB (9/22/1990), Martinez DoB (9/15/1990). I don't think those extra 7 days give Taylor much of an edge.

And Taylor was deer in headlights on most of those 6. It was like Washington 3.0. He does that a lot.

If the question is Best Football Player, you really would look at it from an NFL scouting position. They take the best players in the game of football.

If it's the best role player on a specific team that might be running a college specific offense or defense, that's another story. Same with Most Valuable Player.

If the question is Best Football Player, you really would look at it from an NFL scouting position. They take the best players in the game of football.

Except that like knapp said, NFL potential isn't very meaningful when looking solely at college ability

Both in their 2nd year of being full-time starters. Both identical in age (i don't think robinson took a redshirt).

Looked it up: Robinson DoB (9/22/1990), Martinez DoB (9/15/1990). I don't think those extra 7 days give Taylor much of an edge.

And Taylor was deer in headlights on most of those 6. It was like Washington 3.0. He does that a lot.

Seven days by birth, one year at the college level. HUGE difference.

lol I post 2 words and there's a sh#tstorm

first, I chose based on who is the best at their position, not by who is most valuable. 2nd, Taylor is not a great qb...He's a good quarterback but not a great one. That could change. So is he the 2nd best player of the team? Maybe, probably - like I said its either him or Baker. The reason I said "sadly" is because...he's not a great qb! And in relation to the question, we don't have a Caputo, a David, a Dennard, or any "great" player on the team anymore besides Rex. Which means that Taylor being 2nd best is a bit disappointing. Maybe he'll step it up a notch this year. Maybe some other guys will step it up this year. We'll see.

Caputo? You thought he was great? What I saw was an undersized center who played with a ton of heart, but often times got tossed around like a rag doll. The Michigan game was pretty bad...