Who is the #2 football player on the team?

Taylor (don't laugh)

Taylor, sadly

Sometimes people boggle my mind.

You gonna explain this comment or are you just gonna go on being pretentious? I don't see you offering any opinion...

I was too dumbfounded at the time to reply to the actual topic question. I'm fine with people not thinking Martinez is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but to say it's sad that he's the 2nd best player implies that the team sucks or that he does or both, when he's actually a damn good player and it doesn't diminish the rest of the team at all to say he's the 2nd best. And to be concerned about getting laughed at by picking him as one of the best players on the team is also silly. While I did quote you, I meant the bashing of him overall in more threads than just this one.

Finally, I wasn't being pretentious. I thought it was obvious what I was saying when I put the two quotes together.

• Fire 6

Taylor, sadly

Does that make you feel like a knowledgable big stud ripping "our" own qb? It's amazing how gung-ho tough and brilliant posters are....on the internet.

nothing like a negative comment about t-mart to get bshirt to detach himself from martinez's junk and come out guns blazin.

Well, gee......if they weren't in every other post about 10,000 times a day maybe it wouldn't bother me. As much as you & others hate the kid, he's "our" qb.

Taylor, sadly

Does that make you feel like a knowledgable big stud ripping "our" own qb? It's amazing how gung-ho tough and brilliant posters are....on the internet.

nothing like a negative comment about t-mart to get bshirt to detach himself from martinez's junk and come out guns blazin.

Well, gee......if they weren't in every other post about 10,000 times a day maybe it wouldn't bother me. As much as you & others hate the kid, he's "our" qb.

Just because they aren't sold on his game doesn't mean they hate him. If everyone carried this mentality it would be a sad little world.

Burkhead and Martinez would be interchangable at 1-2 for me. We NEED Taylor and Rex. We dont need Baker. We could plug in anyone else at DT and be just fine. Plug in Brion or other QB with no experience and our offense tanks. Every team needs a good QB and elite teams have a great QB. Look what happens to teams when the "program changing" QB graduates. Colt McCoy, Cam Newton recently, without them their teams tank. For those that want to argue we dont need Taylor, please tell me who we have on the roster to replace him. The only other QB in the BIG 10 i would replace him with would be Robinson (i would personally take Taylor with 2 years left to go), and thats Big 10 wide. We lose Martinez early in the year, we lose 5 or more games. I would say hes the most valuable player weve got, mostly because of position and lack of depth.

I actually haven't seen a lot of negativity towards Taylor in a few weeks. And it's because he's "our" QB that he's going to get both more praise, and more ridicule than most other players. The most visible player on the team is going to receive the most commentary. It is what it is. You love Taylor and ride his jock, some hate him as a QB to his core, others are still skeptical and on the fence. We'll never have a QB any different. Hate the post, but why do you always have to attack the poster as if he just crapped on your front porch?

Burkhead and Martinez would be interchangable at 1-2 for me. We NEED Taylor and Rex. We dont need Baker. We could plug in anyone else at DT and be just fine. Plug in Brion or other QB with no experience and our offense tanks. Every team needs a good QB and elite teams have a great QB. Look what happens to teams when the "program changing" QB graduates. Colt McCoy, Cam Newton recently, without them their teams tank. For those that want to argue we dont need Taylor, please tell me who we have on the roster to replace him. The only other QB in the BIG 10 i would replace him with would be Robinson (i would personally take Taylor with 2 years left to go), and thats Big 10 wide. We lose Martinez early in the year, we lose 5 or more games. I would say hes the most valuable player weve got, mostly because of position and lack of depth.

I guess I wasn't really looking at it from the "if we removed them from the game who would have the most impact" point of view. In that case I agree with you completely. Actually I think in that case Burkhead is clearly #2, if not lower. I just kind of took it as our #2 guy - 2nd best "player", and I think Stein (or Compton) from a leadership role can have a huge impact on that defense. Stein's last year - he should be able to step up his game this year. I'm hoping for big things - likely be let down though.

If you look at it from a skill level, etc...and just evaluate the player themselves not their impact on the team...that's why some kind of dog on Martinez in this regard. Because he wouldn't be a QB many other places, and might not even be on the field.

The #2 player on the team is Rex Burkhead.

The #1 player is Taylor Martinez, and it isn't even debatable. Love him, hate him or indifferent to him, you have to acknowledge that the team - at least the offense - runs through the Quarterback. Commanding presence in the huddle, ability to stay calm under pressure, ability to rally the troops when we get down, that's all the QB's job. Rex is a stud superman workhorse, but he's not the Quarterback.

• Fire 2