New SEC and Big 12 Alliance...

I wonder how Delany feels when he figures things like this out. He has to feel a little bit like a douchenozzle I would think.

To me, this kind of signals the beginning of an 8-team playoff, which I am okay with. Have the champions of the 6 major conferences play each other, then have 2 at-large bids who play each other and make it into an awesome freakin' playoff.

I wonder how Delany feels when he figures things like this out. He has to feel a little bit like a douchenozzle I would think.

To me, this kind of signals the beginning of an 8-team playoff, which I am okay with. Have the champions of the 6 major conferences play each other, then have 2 at-large bids who play each other and make it into an awesome freakin' playoff.

The problem with this is, let's say the SEC has the top team in the nation and someone from the Big 12 is second. If these two conferences champions play each other you have eliminated the one of the best teams in the first round of the playoff. A true quality playoff wouldn't commit conferences to play each other but the top teams play by seeding. It would be silly to have an 8 team playoff and #1 and #2 play each other in the first round.

I found it funny that all the press releases brag about how the Big 12 and SEC have been playing for the national championships yet in the new 4 team playoff those teams would not be playing in the Big 12/SEC champions bowl game since they would be in the playoff, what?. It would all but guarantee that is always going to be someone that just lost a conference championship game in that bowl. If I was the Fiesta bowl, I would be very worried right now. No way the SEC will want it there unless it alternates with the Sugar and I can't see them doing that. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if Jerry Jones throws out the bucks and gets in Dallas permanently. It makes the most sense geographically as well.

I also can't imagine the SEC being happy having this bowl game with the Big 12 not playing a championship game. To me this says at a minimum the Big 12 will try to be back to 12 schools by the time they play this if not 14 like the SEC.

The problem with this is, let's say the SEC has the top team in the nation and someone from the Big 12 is second. If these two conferences champions play each other you have eliminated the one of the best teams in the first round of the playoff. A true quality playoff wouldn't commit conferences to play each other but the top teams play by seeding. It would be silly to have an 8 team playoff and #1 and #2 play each other in the first round.

I found it funny that all the press releases brag about how the Big 12 and SEC have been playing for the national championships yet in the new 4 team playoff those teams would not be playing in the Big 12/SEC champions bowl game since they would be in the playoff, what?. It would all but guarantee that is always going to be someone that just lost a conference championship game in that bowl. If I was the Fiesta bowl, I would be very worried right now. No way the SEC will want it there unless it alternates with the Sugar and I can't see them doing that. It also wouldn't surprise me at all if Jerry Jones throws out the bucks and gets in Dallas permanently. It makes the most sense geographically as well.

I agree. Essentially you would have the National Championship game in the first round of the playoffs in that situation.

This game is not part of any playoff. The best team in each conference that does not make the "Final Four" would be the participants. Look at some of the horrible Sugar Bowl matchups those guys were getting (Hawaii? Cinci?) and it sort of makes sense. Also, it establishes who the 4 power conferences will be and opens up the SEC's desired raid on Virginia Tech and an NC school (NC State or UNC). I think it also cinches up the liklihood of Fla State and Clemson to the Big 12, maybe nmore to follow. I think the Big 10 may get in there too. Maybe it hold . steady, but I see the ACC getting ripped up and then backfilled with the likes of Louisville, UConn, Rutgers and maybe CIncinatti. THe ACC may end up being more filled with old Big East teams than ACC ones. Anyway, who knows, all speculation.

I am incredibly unimpressed with this plan.

The SEC Needed a Partner The Birmingham News

+

"In separate news releases, the SEC and Big 12 made it abundantly clear they believe they're the best football conferences. The SEC and Big 12 share the most all-time top-four finishes in the final BCS standings. Over the past four years, the 2012 SEC and Big 12 members made up 12 of the 16 top-four finishers in the BCS."

More SEC expansion coming, but where? from the Tennessean

+

"Even before the SEC holds a single sporting event as a 14-school conference, the possibility of further expansion is in the wind....Look for the SEC to do whatever is necessary to extend its footprint and strengthen its membership."

"With 16 teams, the SEC could divide into four four-team divisions and adopt a scaled down NFL-style model for football scheduling purposes. It would be easier to maintain traditional rivalry games such as Tennessee-Alabama and Georgia-Auburn that are imperiled by the current division makeup."

"Why flirt with Florida State when Florida already gives you a toehold in the Sunshine State? And who needs Clemson when South Carolina is aboard?"

"If you’re throwing darts, aim one at Raleigh, N.C. There, North Carolina State has struggled with the perception it is operating in the considerable shadow of North Carolina and Duke — which it is."

"And then there’s Virginia Tech, which long has seemed a better fit for the SEC."

Pictures from TexAgs

28296_640x480.jpeg

28297_640x480.jpeg

28298_640x480.jpeg

Yeah, I spose they grab UConn, Rutgers, and maybe even USF (and maybe not) and entrench themselves as the 5th best conference, 1st best in basketball. THen the Big east is a bizarre frankenstein. a group of great BB onl schools with a mish mash from all over then country of unrelated football schools. IF that came of the Big East, the BB only schools should just break off, as ND would split anyway...