What will make 2012 a successful season?

As usual Saunders, we will see at the end of the season. I am very close to what happens normally. I think we have mountains of problems on this team, I do not think our talent is comparative to either OSU or Michigan. And I seem them pulling farther away from us.

I guess Penn State was a little better than I thought they ended up, a lot like us, but they never beat a top 25 team last year, 0-4 so how good were they really. Not what Bama or Oklahoma would call a signature game I am sure.

I think we again will be out coached, out prepped, and both the offensive line and defensive line will be pushed around as usual. I hope for Bo's sake I am wrong, but I truly think this will be a very bad year for us, worse than the worst of Clownahan.

I see problems with Southern Miss, Arkansas State, UCLA and the standard Big 10 group. I think we beat Southern Miss, but I think there is strong chance we get totally embarassed by Arkansas State, maybe not a loss, but a real confidence breaker. UCLA, just have a bad feeling about that one. They are pointing toward that game no question, and have recruited quite well. QB is supposed to be stellar, who knows.

I will be cheering for them to win just like I have for the last 50 plus years, but feel worse about this season than any of clownahans. .

As usual Saunders, we will see at the end of the season. I am very close to what happens normally. I think we have mountains of problems on this team, I do not think our talent is comparative to either OSU or Michigan. And I seem them pulling farther away from us.

I guess Penn State was a little better than I thought they ended up, a lot like us, but they never beat a top 25 team last year, 0-4 so how good were they really. Not what Bama or Oklahoma would call a signature game I am sure.

I think we again will be out coached, out prepped, and both the offensive line and defensive line will be pushed around as usual. I hope for Bo's sake I am wrong, but I truly think this will be a very bad year for us, worse than the worst of Clownahan.

I see problems with Southern Miss, Arkansas State, UCLA and the standard Big 10 group. I think we beat Southern Miss, but I think there is strong chance we get totally embarassed by Arkansas State, maybe not a loss, but a real confidence breaker. UCLA, just have a bad feeling about that one. They are pointing toward that game no question, and have recruited quite well. QB is supposed to be stellar, who knows.

I will be cheering for them to win just like I have for the last 50 plus years, but feel worse about this season than any of clownahans. .

Funny, everyone says they're normally "close" after the fact. Post some links.

As for it being worse than callahans worst year (5 wins, no bowl) you must be a magnificent troll, because that's just crazy.

Again, specific reasons why you think we'll lose each game. Game by game breakdown, because from what you posted above, your argument is full of vagaries. I'll save a full reply for a real "analysis" (and when I'm not using my phone).

P.S. i dont think UCLA knows who their QB is gonna be, last I heard it was probably gonna be a true frosh.

Holy Moly....Debbie Downer is 10,000 miles "up" from you. Whew!

Honestly, I'd be happy with losing less than 4 games, and not getting blown out. If we don't win the division, and go 10-3 or 11-2 with some close losses (TD or less) than I wouldn't be upset.

I'd love to see an 11-2 season....shows progress in the right direction.

I totally agree with this. 11 wins will make me happy. IMO people need to forget talking about MNC until we can start to take care of our conference first. After that, then we can realistically start to dream about National Championships. But for now, Bo needs to get past his glass ceiling which is 10-4.

My take on it is that we can stand toe to toe with everybody (save Bama) and be just as athletic as they are and just as prepared. What needs to happen is that we need to make big time plays in big time situations. That is what we have been lacking completely and entirely. Right when we get a chance to make a big play or a big conversion, someone will jump offsides, or someone will drop a pass. We have to make key plays in key situations. That is all on the players.

Adam Rittenberg made this statement about Nebraska's 2012-2013 football season:

"But if Nebraska really wants to make a statement in the Big Ten, it absolutely has to record a signature road win.

Do you agree/disagree with this statement? What do you think will make 2012 a successful season? I know right away my response is: Win all of our games, but even if we lose a few can we still have a 'successful" season?

Win the conference title. We've knocked on the door a couple of times (while in the Big 12) and it's time to kick the damn thing thing in. That would be a great place to start.

It's just pessimism, not trolling, from skersfan. He's as good a guy as they come.

His predictions have been more measured than most over the years, not riding the tide of optimism that many of us are prone to, and they've largely served him well. I think it is to the point where skers is being a little too pessimistic about our shot this year, but as he says, the team can show him wrong.

I don't think a collapse can be something easily predicted, but it is a pivotal year for the gang.

Hey I love this team as much as the rest of you do, been a fan since my grandfather took me to my first game I think in 1953 that I remember. Went to ones before, but I kinda remember that one. Great grandfather played for Nebraska and our family has put a lot of money in the coffers there.

But some things just have to be said. I can no swallow the coach speak anymore, we have been doing it since Frankie left. Every year will be the big one, but they just do not come for some reason, and my thinking it is a lack of coaching, not bad coaching but inexperienced coaches in charge from the top to the bottom.

No sense of direction on the offense, and it seems the D is getting the same way. Injuries hurt us this past year, but every team has injuries, and the top ones just plug guys in that step up an do the job. We do not have the ability it seems. That comes from lack of recruiting the talent we need, or the character to develop into talent.

I will be there cheering hoping that I am wrong more than any of you know, but this year, I just feel we are going to get are butts beat on a regular basis. Depending way too much on inexperience, both in players and staff.

I have stayed away awhile, hoping I would see something that would change my mind, but due to not having a spring game it is even harder to see that light at the end of the tunnel, something to put your hopes on.

I will go back to checking the forum out every once in awhile, keeping fears and thoughts to myself.

It's just pessimism, not trolling, from skersfan. He's as good a guy as they come.

His predictions have been more measured than most over the years, not riding the tide of optimism that many of us are prone to, and they've largely served him well. I think it is to the point where skers is being a little too pessimistic about our shot this year, but as he says, the team can show him wrong.

I don't think a collapse can be something easily predicted, but it is a pivotal year for the gang.

Yeah, I've seen this game over and over. Predict the worst outcome, and then when the team beats your "prediction" you say "hmm, they got lucky." Then, say you've been pretty accurate with your predictions over the last few years to justify it, because nobody is going to check your posts. This happens over, and over, and over on every CFB message board, every single year.

It's lame.

Hey I love this team as much as the rest of you do, been a fan since my grandfather took me to my first game I think in 1953 that I remember. Went to ones before, but I kinda remember that one. Great grandfather played for Nebraska and our family has put a lot of money in the coffers there.

But some things just have to be said. I can no swallow the coach speak anymore, we have been doing it since Frankie left. Every year will be the big one, but they just do not come for some reason, and my thinking it is a lack of coaching, not bad coaching but inexperienced coaches in charge from the top to the bottom.

No sense of direction on the offense, and it seems the D is getting the same way. Injuries hurt us this past year, but every team has injuries, and the top ones just plug guys in that step up an do the job. We do not have the ability it seems. That comes from lack of recruiting the talent we need, or the character to develop into talent.

I will be there cheering hoping that I am wrong more than any of you know, but this year, I just feel we are going to get are butts beat on a regular basis. Depending way too much on inexperience, both in players and staff.

I have stayed away awhile, hoping I would see something that would change my mind, but due to not having a spring game it is even harder to see that light at the end of the tunnel, something to put your hopes on.

I will go back to checking the forum out every once in awhile, keeping fears and thoughts to myself.

Wow. Hey, it's the offseason. I recommend you try this:

Directions: Empty packet into large plastic or glass pitcher. Add one cup sugar. Add cold water and ice to make two quarts Kool-Aid. :lol:

Yeah, I've seen this game over and over. Predict the worst outcome, and then when the team beats your "prediction" you say "hmm, they got lucky." Then, say you've been pretty accurate with your predictions over the last few years to justify it, because nobody is going to check your posts. This happens over, and over, and over on every CFB message board, every single year.

It's lame.

Or people predict 11-2, or 12-1...then when it doesn't happen blame it on youth, injuries, the gravitational pull of the moon, etc. This happens over, and over, and over on every CFB message board, every single year.

It's lame. :P

The most attainable goal --- in terms of win/loss and on-field performance this season will be to finish ranked. I'd think NU has a 50/50 chance of finishing ranked. To win the division? Not happening. Of course then winning the conference is unobtainable as are any aspirations for a BCS game or an MNC. But finishing ranked is possible (though by no means certain).

A successful season then would be great effort and focus on the field (something NU has not accomplished yet under Pelini) and finishing ranked. This then constitutes a successful season. Expectations beyond this are overly optimistic and not realistic.

Honestly, I'd be happy with losing less than 4 games, and not getting blown out. If we don't win the division, and go 10-3 or 11-2 with some close losses (TD or less) than I wouldn't be upset.

I'd be both really surprised and really thrilled of NU in fact lost fewer than 4 games, never got blown out and went 10-3 or 11-2. But I'd expect a regular season of 7-5 or perhaps 8-4 --- anything worse is really unlikely and anything better is as well pretty unlikely.