Pelini strongly opposes playoff of any sort

The current system isn't broken. It just doesn't satisfy those that want one, undisputed national champion. That may seem like an obvious need, but it really isn't. And we may not satisfy that need for some people without a massive playoff field. I like the way it works now pretty much, and some controversy and discussion is fine and good.

I don't want college football to be the sports version of Jersey Shore. We can eliminate SOME of the controversy, so why not do that? That's what the vast, vast, vast majority of playoff proponents want. Less nonsense.

And we know it will not eliminate controversy. It will simply lessen it.

The more transparent the process the better. The Polls & Bowls are not transparent. They are corrupt, biased and very much non-transparent, to paraphrase Jim Delany. That is a bad thing for the world's greatest sport.

Things I know and think I know:

You would find few folks more opposed to a four-team playoff system in college football than Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini.

In fact, he is against any sort of playoff configuration -- four teams, eight teams, 24 teams, 84 teams, whatever.

"I think they should go back to the old system, but that will never happen," Pelini said.

In the "old system," teams played in bowl games, then the polls (media, coaches) decided national champions.

Pelini is "OK" with the current system.

You want to rile him? Ask about the seemingly inevitable coming of the college game's first playoff in 143 years, likely with a four-team format.

He recently studied a few playoff proposals, but none came close to swaying him.

Pelini stands by previous statements regarding a four-team playoff.

"Be careful what you ask for," he said in March. "We have a pretty good product in college football right now, with the bowls. ... There are a lot of good things going on in college football. How do you get a four-team playoff without messing up a pretty good thing?

"I think that's how I look at it."

I know coaches, including Pelini, that are genuinely concerned about the future of college football. Especially troubling for many is the possible decline or disappearance of bowl games. The bowl system surely would suffer if -- OK, when -- the playoff field expands to 16 teams and beyond.

Let's say the playoff field eventually reaches 16 teams. Think of the increased pressure coaches would face (this is my take, not Pelini's). Too many fans would consider a season a failure if their team failed to make the playoffs. Turnover among head coaches would escalate dramatically.

Head coaches' annual salaries also may escalate as agents use shaky job security as leverage.

Let's not get carried away. Change can be difficult and scary. I'm keeping an open mind as the college football brain trust hashes it all out. Perhaps Pelini eventually will warm to whatever playoff is in place.

Read More

I am one who will stand shoulder to shoulder with Bo on this one. We had a great end to the college football season and all this crap with people (read that the talking heads at ESPN) saying we needed a true Nat. Champ. and the idiots at the BCS have screwed it up so it can never be fixed.

T_O_B

G>B>R

And I was firmly opposed to the sun rising this morning. But whaddya know? There it is.

P.S. The atmosphere of these playoff games is going to completely blow the doors off college football, especially if the powers that be are smart enough to do home sites. The only mediocre aspect of CFB right now is the post-season. If we play our cards right here we could have both the best regular season and post-season in sports. But then again I still think college football is the greatest sport. So maybe that makes me biased--who knows? :rolleyes:

All I know is that Harvey and the powers that be are still trying to figure out how a +1 model would work for the Rose Bowl pseudo-championship with the P12. I like the B1G, but I'll never understand why these guys are so hellbent on going to Los Angeles every year rather than trying to set up a fair way to get a conference team into a playoff game for a chance at the Nat'l Championship. It's almost a loser's mentality, IMO.

I simply do not understand Bo's logic here. Every level of football, except major D1-A, from Pop Warner to the NFL has a play-off to truly determine the champion at the end of the season. What in the hell is so special about FBS college football that a play-off wouldn't work? And why is it such an incomprehensible notion to incorporate a play-off and utilize the existing bowl system? I sincerely do not understand why it has to be an either | or situation. Bo, and people who think like he does, act like we're trying to reinvent the wheel.

yep, a lot of teams make bowl games because their fan base travels well......ahem....but playing 14-16 football games a season by a student athlete is a lot of stress as well......is it worth it?

soon to follow, agents for high school recruits, pay and benes from the schools offering, the whole thing is pointed toward NFL franchises.

Neither is true. The FBS teams that make it deep into their playoffs play this many games. Nobody is concerned about how many games they play - why are FCS athletes so special?

And jumping to the worst case scenario (ie, agents, pay and benefits, etc) is hardly realistic "soon." Maybe someday, when the farce of the "student" athlete in major college football is finally laid to rest, but that day is not coming soon.

By far the dumbest argument is the "We don't want to be like a pro sport by having a playoff" one. Say hello to the FCS, college basketball, baseball, golf, volleyball, you name it. FBS football is the only NCAA sport to have a retardedly arbitrary way to crown a champion.

By far the dumbest argument is the "We don't want to be like a pro sport by having a playoff" one. Say hello to the FCS, college basketball, baseball, golf, volleyball, you name it. FBS football is the only NCAA sport to have a retardedly arbitrary way to crown a champion.

Agreed.

We have the greatest sport with the worst championship setup in the world. Amazingly, just a handful of years ago it was even far worse than now.