Season keys . . .

Adam's main point about somebody stepping up on the defensive line I think is the biggest key to Nebraska's success this year. (aside from Taylor Martinez being "night and day" from last year.) Eric Martin and Baker Steinkuhler need to be guys that absolutely shock the world on our defensive line this year. Atleast that's who I see possibly doing it. Maybe Carter and Ankrah really step up and surprise us all. My hopes for Meredith were shattered last year when I found myself embarrassed for him way too many times last year. He got his ass kicked repeatedly and I just don't see him being very effective on the end. Even if our secondary doesn't improve, which I believe it could slightly get better, a rush from the front four would help our secondary more than anything. LB'er is a huge ?. How do you replace Lavonte? I don't see how you can. I guess we'll just have to try our best. I have some low expectations for this season, but if there is a glimmer of hope for this team to improve on the usual 9 win season, it is if our special teams plays up to the level Adam talked about. If we can put this offense in good situations, limit the stupid turnovers and dumbass penalties, our special teams and defense could maybe eke out some close games.

My keys to a successful Nebraska football season:

1. Dominant line play

2. Minimize turnovers

3. Minimize penalties

These are the 3 biggest ones IMO. We do these 3 things and do them well, and we have a damn good football team this fall.

Very well said. You're #1 x 100.

• Fire 1

I really look for Chase Rome to start having an impact...........I don't know what it is about the kid, but I've thought he was going to be a beast from day 1. We have the tools on offense to do very well, but our defense has to step up and be who they can be. Offensive line play and defensive line play are going to be key from my perspective.

I really look for Chase Rome to start having an impact...........I don't know what it is about the kid, but I've thought he was going to be a beast from day 1. We have the tools on offense to do very well, but our defense has to step up and be who they can be. Offensive line play and defensive line play are going to be key from my perspective.

I'm with you on Rome. The guy has a '90s Nebraska defensive player mentality. IMO he looked just as good or better than Crick last season.

I think the two biggest keys are Tim Beck and Bo Pelini.

We should see a jump in production on the offense in Beck's second year, but I don't know if we will. Last year's offense was good not great, the biggest positive to me was the offense wasn't completely inept against good defenses. Great, you're better than Shawn Watson, that's not saying a lot. He has a lot of weapons to work with, no excuses for not being among the best offenses in the Big Ten.

As for Bo, just fix the defense. It's why you got the job. You've done it once, we've all seen it, we know you can. Do it again.

I think the two biggest keys are Tim Beck and Bo Pelini.

We should see a jump in production on the offense in Beck's second year, but I don't know if we will. Last year's offense was good not great, the biggest positive to me was the offense wasn't completely inept against good defenses. Great, you're better than Shawn Watson, that's not saying a lot. He has a lot of weapons to work with, no excuses for not being among the best offenses in the Big Ten.

As for Bo, just fix the defense. It's why you got the job. You've done it once, we've all seen it, we know you can. Do it again.

It's downright difficult to argue with anything in this post and it summarizes things on the money. I would only add I think we'll have talent & depth on the Oline we haven't had in a long, long time. That should help a lot. But "The Dude" is right. The bottom line is that It really comes down to those two.

We will have the toys on defense to be able to be very cutting edge on that side of the football. We didn't have that last year.

I hope that's true, man.

Pelini didn't gain his reputation as a defensive genius accidentally. Last year we had to prepare for a new team every single week (outside of Washington, of course.) I recently read or heard some deal with Ferentz where he was talking about how difficult last year was because they had to prepare for different teams in the non-con along with Nebraska. Well, Kirk, that was our entire season last year. I have faith that the defense will rebound. Our 3rd down percentage and our national ranking in TFL were well below what we expect out of Pelini's Blackshirts in '11. We need a sharp uptick in performance in those areas next year.

I think we will.

And Chase Rome has potential stamped all over him. Baker very quietly had a strong season last year. I've got a sneaking suspicion that he's going have a big year this season, and and if we can get some strong play from the DE's, we'll look a lot better than we did last year. Need a DE to step up, though. Meredith disappointed a little last year, I don't know if he was playing hurt or what, but he looked slower. If Cam can have a strong season, along with Steinkuhler, our d-line is going to look a lot better.

It's interesting to me that people seem more focused on the offense than the defense in terms of what needs to improve for next year. I thought our offense played better football than the defense last year. Just my own opinion.

My keys to a successful Nebraska football season:

1. Dominant line play

2. Minimize turnovers

3. Minimize penalties

These are the 3 biggest ones IMO. We do these 3 things and do them well, and we have a damn good football team this fall.

^^this.

I'd add in find a way to replace the production of David . . . but you hit the biggest 3.