Oreo Desecrates the Sanctity of Cookies

I would prefer these companies didn't try to advance these types of agendas but, some of those comments are very homophobic and hateful. I may not like Oreo pushing the gay agenda, but I won't be boycotting them anytime soon. Why can't they just continue making damn good cookies and leave the social politics out of it? And why can't other people just worry about themselves? We've got a couple lesbians who live next door to us and a couple of gay guys right around the corner. The neighborhood hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket. Some people worry too much. For me, I find the agenda pushing in the media and by companies much more offensive than the actual issue itself.

I would prefer these companies didn't try to advance these types of agendas but, some of those comments are very homophobic and hateful. I may not like Oreo pushing the gay agenda, but I won't be boycotting them anytime soon. Why can't they just continue making damn good cookies and leave the social politics out of it? And why can't other people just worry about themselves? We've got a couple lesbians who live next door to us and a couple of gay guys right around the corner. The neighborhood hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket. Some people worry too much. For me, I find the agenda pushing in the media and by companies much more offensive than the actual issue itself.

"Republicans buy sneakers too" Micheal Jordan

While I'm happy to see more and more of this sort of thing, lets not get confused about its motivation. Enterprises like Kraft aren't human rights advocates driving the acceptance of gays, they're capitalist marketing machines responding to the growing acceptance of gays in hopes of profit. Ads like this have little to do with pushing an agenda and everything to do with targeting a significant marketing demographic (in this case with a tiny web advertisement). It's funny how companies can advertise to all sorts of demographics, and it's not political at all, but the moment they target an ad towards a group religious conservatives disapprove of it becomes political agenda pushing. Right wingers complaining about agenda pushing is even more hypocritical when they don't bat an eye at corporations getting involved in all kinds of political activism - labor issues, health care reform, gun laws, taxes, etc. - that have far more, often negative, impact on things.

• Fire 1

Corporations should be concerned about labor laws, healthcare reform, and taxes. I would really wonder about them if they weren't. I understand these consumer products companies, like Kraft or specific brands like Oreo's, do it as part of their marketing effort. I'm guessing it must work for them but also guess that they lose other customers in the same effort. IMO pushing the gay rights agenda is not the same as those other legitimate concerns of business. To be clear, I don't care what gay people do. I just wish the media and these companies would quit sticking it in our faces. The sooner we all simply accept that gays have the same rights as anyone else, the better off we'll all be. Where's my special heterosexual cookie?

See, I don't believe that corporations should be involved in the political process at all. Political and social issues are matters of the people, and the introduction of corporate influence into the political system has been the single greatest corrupting and damaging force harming country today. I just don't see targeting an advertisement towards a significant market demographic as a political act. When companies advertise towards blacks, Hispanics, men, women, children, or whatever, it's not political or social. It's just marketing. This is no different.

• Fire 1

Don't misunderstand what I said. It makes sense that corps are concerned about business related issues of labor, healthcare, and taxes. That does not imply that I am happy with some of the ways they choose to exert their power. And I still feel the rainbow cookie example is more of a social political statement than pure demographic marketing. Gay people see the other Oreo commercials and ads that the rest of us see. This is not just marketing to that group. It is saying, hey we're behind your cause and we're willing to trade some other customers for more of your particular group. Oreo can do as they wish but I see this as them trying to do something more than just selling more cookies.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont get people... Honestly, who cares what other people choose to do if it makes them happy and doesnt directly affect your happiness.

Because an old old book that has been proven wrong many many times has one line that says you shouldn't do it... Nor should women teach, nor should you get a tattoo, no should you shave......

I dont get people... Honestly, who cares what other people choose to do if it makes them happy and doesnt directly affect your happiness.

Because an old old book that has been proven wrong many many times has one line that says you shouldn't do it... Nor should women teach, nor should you get a tattoo, no should you shave......

Be careful...referring to the Koran as an old book that has been proven wrong will get you killed in some circles.

• Fire 1

Be careful...referring to the Koran as an old book that has been proven wrong will get you killed in some circles.

Or murdered for adultery... And post your execution to CNN.

This first part covers it all. This is why the backlash. People don't like being told what to do or believe or accept. So when a company like Oreo picks a side...it's a BAD business decision. I don't eat cookies so thankfully I don't have to care about this but I don't understand why companies try to cut their own throats like this.

Put it in perspective. Should Oreo also have Atheist cookies? How about God cookies? Democrat/Republican cookies? Maybe next month they should just make the cream filling black and have Black Panther cookies.

This isn't like supporting a specific cause...a lot of people fall in the middle but there are clearly support homosexuality at all cost groups and despise it at all cost groups. This is still a hot topic issue and CLEARLY agenda driven because from a business standpoint it's a horrible decision.

There shouldn't be a side. It would be sort of like saying there are still two legitimate sides to racism and it's best to not choose one.

But there are two sides to it. The bad racism and the good racism. When the KKK says that black people are not really human, that's the bad kind. We all agree on that. But when liberals say that Romney is too white for blacks to like, that's the good racism. http://washingtonexaminer.com/liberal-group-calls-romney-too-white-for-blacks-to-like/article/2501754