Oreo Desecrates the Sanctity of Cookies

This first part covers it all. This is why the backlash. People don't like being told what to do or believe or accept. So when a company like Oreo picks a side...it's a BAD business decision. I don't eat cookies so thankfully I don't have to care about this but I don't understand why companies try to cut their own throats like this.

Put it in perspective. Should Oreo also have Atheist cookies? How about God cookies? Democrat/Republican cookies? Maybe next month they should just make the cream filling black and have Black Panther cookies.

This isn't like supporting a specific cause...a lot of people fall in the middle but there are clearly support homosexuality at all cost groups and despise it at all cost groups. This is still a hot topic issue and CLEARLY agenda driven because from a business standpoint it's a horrible decision.

I disagree. There's a reason that more and more companies are trying to appeal directly to the LGBT community or their supporters, and it's not for altruistic reasons. These companies' marketing departments clearly see a benefit to gay-friendly advertising or they wouldn't be doing it. They don't do anything without running the numbers and doing market research. Gays and lesbians represent a large market segment with much higher than average disposable income. Further, a majority (or close to a majority, depending on whose numbers you use) of Americans now support same sex unions, either in the form of marriage or separate-but-equal civil unions. Being seen as having a product in sync with the prevailing values also has marketing benefits. I think this sort of thing is only divisive among the fringe, and you can be sure they gain more from this sort of thing than they lose from a few fringe knuckle-draggers boycotting them.

This first part covers it all. This is why the backlash. People don't like being told what to do or believe or accept. So when a company like Oreo picks a side...it's a BAD business decision. I don't eat cookies so thankfully I don't have to care about this but I don't understand why companies try to cut their own throats like this.

Put it in perspective. Should Oreo also have Atheist cookies? How about God cookies? Democrat/Republican cookies? Maybe next month they should just make the cream filling black and have Black Panther cookies.

This isn't like supporting a specific cause...a lot of people fall in the middle but there are clearly support homosexuality at all cost groups and despise it at all cost groups. This is still a hot topic issue and CLEARLY agenda driven because from a business standpoint it's a horrible decision.

I disagree. There's a reason that more and more companies are trying to appeal directly to the LGBT community or their supporters, and it's not for altruistic reasons. These companies' marketing departments clearly see a benefit to gay-friendly advertising or they wouldn't be doing it. They don't do anything without running the numbers and doing market research. Gays and lesbians represent a large market segment with much higher than average disposable income. Further, a majority (or close to a majority, depending on whose numbers you use) of Americans now support same sex unions, either in the form of marriage or separate-but-equal civil unions. Being seen as having a product in sync with the prevailing values also has marketing benefits. I think this sort of thing is only divisive among the fringe, and you can be sure they gain more from this sort of thing than they lose from a few fringe knuckle-draggers boycotting them.

You also have to consider that bad publicity isn't necessarily harmful for business. Although it may drive away some potential consumers it also creates a tremendous amount of free publicity that the business can capitalize on.

Time for the knuckle draggers to boycott Target stores, too, I guess. Posting this here since it's relevant to the question of whether or not it makes good business sense to cozy up to the LGBT community.

http://www.startribu.../162418136.html

From a purely business standpoint, adding the cards is "a perfectly logical thing to do," Rao said.

Witeck's research indicates that the purchasing power of the country's LGBT population this year is $790 billion, or roughly $49,000 per adult.

Time for the knuckle draggers to boycott Target stores, too, I guess.

Let's not forget companies like:

Allstate

Amazon

American Airlines

Apple

Applebee’s

Best Buy

Clorox

Coca-Cola

Costco

Delta Airlines

Ford

Gap (which also owns Banana Republic and Old Navy)

General Motors

Gerber Baby Products

Hilton Hotels

Home Depot

IMB

Levi’s

Marriot International

McDonald’s

Microsoft

Nationwide

Nike

Olive Garden

Pepsico

Procter and Gamble

Red Lobster

Rite Aid

Sears

Southwest Airlines

Starbucks

State Farm

United Airlines

UPS

Walgreens

Walt Disney Company

• Fire 1

Some of you leftists spend a lot of time predicting what the "knuckle draggers" are going to do when you should worry about what the free-loaders, racists, and anarchists do if 1) George Zimmerman goes free 2) President Obama is voted out of office 3) Obamacare is not fully enacted 4) work requirements for welfare is reinstated, and 5) Fast and Furious reveals that both the President and AG are guilty of covering up the extent of the scandal. I would say there will likely be rioting, but we have already seen that from OWS. And the NBPP won't be happy until Zimmerman is strung up. When the freeloaders, racists, and anarchists erupt, they won't care if you're a leftist or not.

Some of you leftists spend a lot of time predicting what the "knuckle draggers" are going to do when you should worry about what the free-loaders, racists, and anarchists do if 1) George Zimmerman goes free 2) President Obama is voted out of office 3) Obamacare is not fully enacted 4) work requirements for welfare is reinstated, and 5) Fast and Furious reveals that both the President and AG are guilty of covering up the extent of the scandal. I would say there will likely be rioting, but we have already seen that from OWS. And the NBPP won't be happy until Zimmerman is strung up. When the freeloaders, racists, and anarchists erupt, they won't care if you're a leftist or not.

Judging from your need to repeatedly inject race into unrelated discussions, perhaps you should ask yourself for the answer on the racist angle.

But there are two sides to it. The bad racism and the good racism. When the KKK says that black people are not really human, that's the bad kind. We all agree on that. But when liberals say that Romney is too white for blacks to like, that's the good racism. http://washingtonexa...article/2501754

This is like claiming the Westboro Baptists represent Christians. We don't need this kind of nonsense in the P&R forums, thanks. Please stop with this kind of baiting.

• Fire 1

Many would argue that this is because there has been an agenda to make people feel more comfortable with the thought of homosexuality. And most people have too many other things to do in life then bicker with others constantly. I don't believe same sex unions are here because people support it...I think it's more people are tolerating it. People keep pushing their agendas long enough and people get tired of fighting them.

I'd like to apologize for pointing out that there is a certain type of racism that is both tolerated and encouraged in the U.S. I'm so sorry. I have been accused of "baiting" and in fact, It was stupid of me.

No, you're just stupid.

• Fire 3

I'd like to apologize for pointing out that there is a certain type of racism that is both tolerated and encouraged in the U.S. I'm so sorry. I have been accused of "baiting" and in fact, It was stupid of me.

No, you're just stupid.

C'mon. We don't do that here. You don't like someone, take it to the Shed. Not here, not in the regular forums.

Many would argue that this is because there has been an agenda to make people feel more comfortable with the thought of homosexuality. And most people have too many other things to do in life then bicker with others constantly. I don't believe same sex unions are here because people support it...I think it's more people are tolerating it. People keep pushing their agendas long enough and people get tired of fighting them.

I think more people are simply realizing that there isn't any rational reason to be against it. They are becoming more exposed to the issue and conclude that they should at least tolerate it even if they have reservations about it.