Non-conference schedule

2013 -- Wyoming, at Southern Miss, UCLA, South Dakota State.

2014 -- Florida Atlantic, at Fresno State, Miami. (Fourth game to be determined).

2015 -- BYU, South Alabama, at Miami, Southern Miss.

2016 -- Fresno State, Tennessee, Wyoming. (Fourth game to be determined).

I see problems with this. Yes it is balanced, But its repetitive. I don't like seeing Fresno State, Wyoming, FAU and SDS so soon. We have visited these teams during the last 3 seasons, can't we find another venue to go to?

I am excited to see Miami and Tennesse on the list. Southern Miss, BYU, and South Alabama are new venues that will take us to new places.

I don't mind having Wyoming here in 2013, but why come back so soon in 2016? I think we can find a more distant team other than the Jackrabbits, for example, Ohio, bring Frank Solich here? Toledo, Buffalo, Western Michigan?

I'm going to guess Bo wanted to go against his brother at FAU, maybe its just a fan thing or something. Going to Fresno in 2014 doesn't sound so bad, but once again, why see them in 2016? A 4th game should be against a team that replaces the Jackrabbits in 2013.

2015 schedule looks fine. 2016, i just don't like seeing Fresno and Wyoming so soon. I hope that schedule changes to something more lucrative.

It's economics.

Wyoming is coming in 2013 and 2016 because we went to their place (TO wanted to give a gift to the fans in Colorado and Western Nebraska since they can't go see us play in Boulder anymore) and the only way we could do that and have it make any financial sense is if it was part of a 2 for 1 exchange.

The same is for Fresno State, it's a 2-1 exchange. They came here last year and they come here again in 2016 in exchange we go there in 2014. However unlike Wyoming which was a thank you to the fans, the Fresno series is a Recruiting game.

The FAU game was on the books long before they hired Carl and both it and the South Alabama game are recruiting games.These kind of games are a cheap way to get our name out in the papers and on the regional news/radio in those regions more. Both are one off home games with no return trip.

• Fire 2

It's economics.

Wyoming is coming in 2013 and 2016 because we went to their place (TO wanted to give a gift to the fans in Colorado and Western Nebraska since they can't go see us play in Boulder anymore) and the only way we could do that and have it make any financial sense is if it was part of a 2 for 1 exchange.

The same is for Fresno State, it's a 2-1 exchange. They came here last year and they come here again in 2016 in exchange we go there in 2014. However unlike Wyoming which was a thank you to the fans, the Fresno series is a Recruiting game.

The FAU game was on the books long before they hired Carl and both it and the South Alabama game are recruiting games.These kind of games are a cheap way to get our name out in the papers and on the regional news/radio in those regions more. Both are one off home games with no return trip.

Nailed it. As a (Nebraska) Panhandler, I couldn't walk 10 feet in Laramie last year without running into someone I knew.

2-for 1's man. And I'm guessing the 2 FAU and SDSU games were sort of a package deal.

We need to add 1 more semi-decent team in 2014 though; I can't imagine Miami being any good. Just one more Southern Miss-type team that isn't really awful.

The people behind the scenes who look at the numbers and logistics of the scheduling at the University have far more knowledge of the situation and are probably some very capable minds. I trust they are doing things in a way that best suits Nebraska in as many ways possible.

That is all. Go Big Red.

The people behind the scenes who look at the numbers and logistics of the scheduling at the University have far more knowledge of the situation and are probably some very capable minds. I trust they are doing things in a way that best suits Nebraska in as many ways possible.

That is all. Go Big Red.

Pedey used to be that man behind the scenes. Did you trust him completely as well? Even if it's Osborne overseeing this, it's still ok to ask questions.

In any case, the answers were right. Many deals are for multiple games, so you are going to be playing the same team 2 or 3 teams within a few years.

btw, Southern Miss is not a new venue for us. We went there in 2003 as a 2 for 1 deal, with home games in 1999 and 2004.

Nebraska appears unlikely to change its nonconference scheduling philosophy much, if at all. Osborne, the athletic director, describes future schedules as "very adequate." Looking forward to say, 2016, I think the schedules were well-conceived — challenging without being exceedingly difficult. A nice balance.

LINK

Sipple wrote an article a couple days back about non-conf scheduling.

FWIW, I think our non-conf scheds are great. No really tough games--like Meechicken playing Bama right out of the gate this year. But also not just a bunch of creampuffs.

That is all. Go Big Red.

Pedey used to be that man behind the scenes. Did you trust him completely as well? Even if it's Osborne overseeing this, it's still ok to ask questions.

In any case, the answers were right. Many deals are for multiple games, so you are going to be playing the same team 2 or 3 teams within a few years.

btw, Southern Miss is not a new venue for us. We went there in 2003 as a 2 for 1 deal, with home games in 1999 and 2004.

Depends on the definition of new.

We won't be playing Southern Miss in Hattiesburg. The game will be at the Superdome and the last time we were there was the 1985 Sugar Bowl and I don't recall that we've ever played a regular season game there.

To the Pedey comment though. Pederson did a lot. and I do mean a LOT of really stupid and idiotic things while he was here but he acutally did the scheduling part of the job extremely well. It seemed nearly every year that the teams on the OOC schedule were perfectly set up to prepare us for the schemes/styles we would see later that season in big games. I believe Bo benefited greatly from Pederson's scheduling.

Scheduling is an absolute pain in the ass these days. Small schools want bigger pieces of the pie for coming to Lincoln. Many of the schools that a lot of people consider "mid-majors" want outlandish money figures or home and homes theses days. The 2-1 deals are a way NU can defer that chunk of change they pay these schools to come to Lincoln.

Now once you have some schools interested in playing a game/and or series, you have to find open dates. Thiis is why you get the three game series spread out over 5-6 years. Other schools have other commitments. I believe Bowser(aka Jamrog) said when scheduling NU more or less is looking five years minimum in advance these days to find future opponents.

Case in point of the scheduling head ache, the Boise State scenario. Boise wanted a home and home, but wanted a HUGE chunk of change for coming to Lincoln. NU's responce to that amount of money was how about a 2 for 1 deal, Boise sad no bueno and that pretty much killed those talks.

Again, scheduling.....a motha fu.......

• Fire 1

A couple comments have hit the nail on the head. OOC scheduling has become ridiculous over the last 5-10 years. The Boise State example is one. I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with giving NDSU a 2 for 1 deal, considering they just won a national championship, and they have the tools to likely do it again within the next few years. That, and the times I got to meet him while he was here, Bohl seemed to be a pretty nice guy, just wasn't the right fit for DC at the time he was here. But if we were going to do a 2-1, then put a requirement of holding it say in the Twin Cities, potentially having that series take place after the new Vikes place is built, and find a home weekend that would work when the Vikes aren't in town. I'm not sure I want to mess with the uproar if we tried to use the Gophers stadium, and Fargodome likely wouldn't be nearly big enough for what we'd want. Something like that deal. That, or get NDSU to come for a big payday, which Bohl and the AD up there *might* be willing to do.

Overall, though, I can't fault our OOC scheduling. Really no different than what most BCS conference teams have to do today. I think both Pederson and Osborne were up against the same obstacles in that respect.

A couple comments have hit the nail on the head. OOC scheduling has become ridiculous over the last 5-10 years. The Boise State example is one. I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with giving NDSU a 2 for 1 deal, considering they just won a national championship, and they have the tools to likely do it again within the next few years. That, and the times I got to meet him while he was here, Bohl seemed to be a pretty nice guy, just wasn't the right fit for DC at the time he was here. But if we were going to do a 2-1, then put a requirement of holding it say in the Twin Cities, potentially having that series take place after the new Vikes place is built, and find a home weekend that would work when the Vikes aren't in town. I'm not sure I want to mess with the uproar if we tried to use the Gophers stadium, and Fargodome likely wouldn't be nearly big enough for what we'd want. Something like that deal. That, or get NDSU to come for a big payday, which Bohl and the AD up there *might* be willing to do.

Overall, though, I can't fault our OOC scheduling. Really no different than what most BCS conference teams have to do today. I think both Pederson and Osborne were up against the same obstacles in that respect.

No. I do not ever want to see this team traveling to play a 1-AA school. I don't care if they won their title, it would be embarrassing.

• Fire 1

Yeah that isn't ever going to happen. Even in a 3-1 with the road game at a neutral site we'd never do that with a 1-AA school. Heck we only do it with non BCS schools in certain cases and not that often. OOC road games are too meaningful to scheduling because we need 7 home games a year for financial reasons to use them against a school that would take the 800k paycheck for a one and done in Lincoln.

The only reason the schedule has the 1-AA teams on it right now is because we had the uncertancy of schedules during the conference change that made things difficult.

That said, could I see more 2-1 deals like the Southern Miss one against other FBS teams? maybe. But Tom Osborne isn't really a fan of neutral site games as general practice either unless it's backed by a financial incentive above the gate.