Where's the pressure?

Wish we could contain mobile QBs. Stuff like this cannot happen:

6707671541_4a2e938f78.jpg

That's especially annoying considering that our genius plan is containment.

if everything went perfect all the time, teams would never score on us. Im sure they set this up through other plays, sh#t happens, its football. Taylor was just as open when he scored against Ohio State, should they change their "genius" system?

This would be a good argument if Nebraska had a good defense last year against running QBs. It's not like we're pointing out a rarity here. Nebraska played horrible against every mobile quarterback they faced (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern). Obviously there is something wrong with the system when facing mobile quarterbacks.

I agree.

In my mind, there's no other choice but to attack them. However Bo decides to do that can hardly be worse that what we do now.

The 3-4 is not as good against the run as a 4-3 in general so I don't think you want it as your base defense in a league like the B1G.

They should get better pressure this year as they should have more healthy DT's to rotate in. I think the RE's will be a little quicker as they put too much weight on too fast last year. Our DB's should be more experienced and better which should allow them to blitz a bit more if they want. Going through the league a 2nd time around should allow Bo to be a little more aggressive with his calls. I think he played it conservative last year given all the new teams to scheme for.

Hopefully all that will add up to a little more pressure.

if everything went perfect all the time, teams would never score on us. Im sure they set this up through other plays, sh#t happens, its football. Taylor was just as open when he scored against Ohio State, should they change their "genius" system?

This would be a good argument if Nebraska had a good defense last year against running QBs. It's not like we're pointing out a rarity here. Nebraska played horrible against every mobile quarterback they faced (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern). Obviously there is something wrong with the system when facing mobile quarterbacks.

I agree.

In my mind, there's no other choice but to attack them. However Bo decides to do that can hardly be worse that what we do now.

I think it has to do more with the personnel then the scheme. Cam was slow as hell last year, we just dont have very good D ends, they are too slow, so we have to keep them at home to hold the edges, they get out of position and the QBs have are looking at green grass. The defense hinges on the play of the secondary. We did a pretty good job of handling the South Carolina kid (names escapes me at the moment) because our secondary was playing better. Im not going to say we havent had troubles with running QB because everyone knows we have, i just think its a personnel issue. We dont have guys that can run down the QB, so we try and keep them contained, and that means the secondary has to be locked down, and with our young secondary last year that didnt happen all that much. Thats just my opinion thou, we dont have guys that can run down QBs, but i think we are doing a good job recruiting to fix the problem. Our secondary will be great this year, so we should see a good improvement.

I don't understand how a 3-4 switch, with Bo's philosophy, will bring pressure. He's always played bend but don't break, make the offense make mistakes, hunker down in the red zone kind of defensive coach. I don't see how it would be any different. It's like we're expecting Rex Ryan, Wade Phillips, and Dick LeBeau type defense out there when we're gonna see more of Belichick and Carrol.

This is it guys: rush four guys so that the back end isn't as exposed. If they wanna roll with an odd front with single high behind it or an even front with two high, that's how Bo is gonna roll. It's up to those four guys to get it done. Or a fifth guy if we run under.

What about VT the year before? It seems like everyone criticizing Bo's scheme and how it handles running QB's only remembers the last season. Hey, we had trouble with Fresno St. too. I don't think switching to the 3-4 will magically fix this problem as some are assuming.

What about VT the year before? It seems like everyone criticizing Bo's scheme and how it handles running QB's only remembers the last season. Hey, we had trouble with Fresno St. too. I don't think switching to the 3-4 will magically fix this problem as some are assuming.

?? Some of us remember that "mobile" QB Gilbert burning us in 2010 (71 yrds on 11 carries for 2 TDs). Even the "speedy" Jake Locker took us to the house against Washington 2.0 (83 yards on 13 carries for 1 TD). It's been a problem for a long time here, not just last season. We always wrote it off as part of the "bend but don't break" philosophy. Well, the last couple seasons we've finally broke so it's time we throw that crap out.

Huskerfowler;

It seems hard to believe how wildly unproductive our DEs have been the last four years. J. Tomich, T. Alberts, G. Wistrom, The Sandman, W. Harper, G. Andrews, etc, etc.....how can this be?

I realize a LARGE, large part of that is due to their containment vs attack scheme. But still, it's like they're not involved in the game at all. No tackles, no hurries, no sacks, no.... nothing. I just can't believe they're "that" bad.

Again, there's no denying how awesome Bo is at chewing up and spitting out pocket qbs. It's like clockwork. But it's also getting to be like clockwork how badly mobile qbs rip us apart.

Maybe you're right my friend and we simply don't have anybody in the front seven who can run down a fast qb. I sure would think David could have though. Maybe Caveman too (he would at least try). Bo's going wild with the LB recruiting so again you might be right. If so, I hope we get those kids on the field ASAP.

Huskerfowler;

It seems hard to believe how wildly unproductive our DEs have been the last four years. J. Tomich, T. Alberts, G. Wistrom, The Sandman, W. Harper, G. Andrews, etc, etc.....how can this be?

I realize a LARGE, large part of that is due to their containment vs attack scheme. But still, it's like they're not involved in the game at all. No tackles, no hurries, no sacks, no.... nothing. I just can't believe they're "that" bad.

Again, there's no denying how awesome Bo is at chewing up and spitting out pocket qbs. It's like clockwork. But it's also getting to be like clockwork how badly mobile qbs rip us apart.

Maybe you're right my friend and we simply don't have anybody in the front seven who can run down a fast qb. I sure would think David could have though. Maybe Caveman too (he would at least try). Bo's going wild with the LB recruiting so again you might be right. If so, I hope we get those kids on the field ASAP.

Lets see....Papuchis coached defense ends when he got here. As you mentioned...they've been pretty bad over the last 4 years. Then he coached the entire defensive line last year. I think we can all agree it was probably the worst DL since Bo has been here. Now he's our defensive coordinator. This should get interesting.

Huskerfowler;

Lets see....Papuchis coached defense ends when he got here. As you mentioned...they've been pretty bad over the last 4 years. Then he coached the entire defensive line last year. I think we can all agree it was probably the worst DL since Bo has been here. Now he's our defensive coordinator. This should get interesting.

Is this sarcasm? Maybe, maybe not.... Either way I feel its important to point out that Papuchis is widely regarded as one of the brightest young minds in football. If the defensive guru, Bo Pelini thinks he is good enough to be DC, then thats good enough for me, and should be good enough for everyone else in HuskerNation....

I won't argue that the DE play has been poor as of late, but we don't seem to have the necessary athletes at that position anyways. Meredith, and Ankrah are big dudes, and look like they could easily play inside.

?? Some of us remember that "mobile" QB Gilbert burning us in 2010 (71 yrds on 11 carries for 2 TDs). Even the "speedy" Jake Locker took us to the house against Washington 2.0 (83 yards on 13 carries for 1 TD). It's been a problem for a long time here, not just last season. We always wrote it off as part of the "bend but don't break" philosophy. Well, the last couple seasons we've finally broke so it's time we throw that crap out.

I remember holding some "running" QB's to sub-standard days, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I'll post the QB rushing numbers over the last few years when I've got some time. Then at least we can talk about the numbers instead of a couple data points and my memory of events.

Is this sarcasm? Maybe, maybe not.... Either way I feel its important to point out that Papuchis is widely regarded as one of the brightest young minds in football. If the defensive guru, Bo Pelini thinks he is good enough to be DC, then thats good enough for me, and should be good enough for everyone else in HuskerNation....

I won't argue that the DE play has been poor as of late, but we don't seem to have the necessary athletes at that position anyways. Meredith, and Ankrah are big dudes, and look like they could easily play inside.

and he backs this up with what? his time under Pelini as a G.A? His dominating defensive ends at Nebraska? All those honorable mention Big12 and Big10 lineman? Bo Pelini's "genius" in the defensive world has taken a hit as of recent - so just because Bo says JP is good enough doesn't mean we should all jump in line. JP is a great coach at 33. But he needs a lot more time to develop and be regarded as anywhere near an elite DC. I can't even find much of an argument (outside of recruiting) that he could be regarded as anything more than an above average position coach. We've got a coach that is learning on the job. We have an OC that is learning on the job. Now we have a DC that is learning on the job. Who's doing the teaching?

and he backs this up with what? his time under Pelini as a G.A? His dominating defensive ends at Nebraska? All those honorable mention Big12 and Big10 lineman? Bo Pelini's "genius" in the defensive world has taken a hit as of recent - so just because Bo says JP is good enough doesn't mean we should all jump in line. JP is a great coach at 33. But he needs a lot more time to develop and be regarded as anywhere near an elite DC. I can't even find much of an argument (outside of recruiting) that he could be regarded as anything more than an above average position coach. We've got a coach that is learning on the job. We have an OC that is learning on the job. Now we have a DC that is learning on the job. Who's doing the teaching?

The best teacher there is: experience (aka "learning on the job").

Pap may just be a big-picture guy. Better at running a whole show than a specific part. Craig Bohl is a great example of that. Anyone recall his Cosgrove-ian defenses? But put him at head coach up in the Dakotas and he just wins a national championship.

Only problem with that analogy is that it took Bohl several years to get there. Are we willing to be patient while our coaches learn on the job?

We have the talent, that isnt the issue. We just arent using our guys or the coaching has beeen lacking. I think we will see a new line under Rick; under Paps, it wasnt pretty . He may be a scheme genius, but his coaching up players has been seemingly lacking since he got here. Not bashing the guy, but KCHusker has some very valid points.