Where's the pressure?

you worded it as a fact, like you know what your talking about....when you clearly dont

i'm sorry, I'll add a little note at the bottom of every post that states it's an opinion. since I'm posting in a forum I realize some take everything as fact. my apologies.

PS: I couldn't find the crayon font for you, so hopefully black/white is good enough.

"this is an opinion"

Ya know, it just seems like nothing is ever good enough for you. Our recruiting isnt good enough, our schemes arent good enough, our coaches are too young and inexperienced. Im not sure why you even follow the Huskers. You dont celebrate big wins in recruiting or on the field, you just come along and bring your negative attitude, and jump on every chance to say something bad about the program. We get a big QB recruit and all you can say is "hes not a 4 star on rivals" even thou hes one of the best QBs in the country (which you ignore) Being a fan is supporting your team through the ups and downs, not bitching about them every chance you get. I couldnt imagine watching a game with you. Learn to enjoy it a little eh.

I believe that as a fan you should be able to criticize anything you want and it's people like you who only want to see it their own little way that are the problem. KC voiced his opinion with reasons and you have yet to talk about his reasoning, but rather you go and basically call him a fair weather fan. Myself, I agree with some of his points and disagree with others, don't know why you should think you have to tell him he should follow your opinions or that he is wrong because you believe differently. People have their opinions and they are welcome to them, disagree if you want, but don't bring up someones fanhood just because you disagree with them.

I'm torn on this issue. Bo's signature is how stingy he is giving up points and he's had outstanding success here at NU doing that.

2003 - #2 ranked scoring defense (14.5 pts/game)

2008 - #80 ranked scoring defense (28.5 pts/game)

2009 - #1 ranked scoring defense (10.4 pts/game)

2010 - #9 ranked scoring defense (17.4 pts/game)

2011 - #42 ranked scoring defense (23.4 pts/game)

Of course, 2008 was Bo taking over Clownahan's destroyed blackshirts so imo that's a hardcore well deserved mulligan. But 2011 is the question. Losing Crick & Fonzy for most of the year hurt badly to be sure but giving up an additional TD per game isn't good at all. Not disastrous either.

So we'll see. I'm inclined to lean toward HuskerFowler's viewpoint that it's just essentially a talent issue that's being addressed. But another part of me remembers as a little kid reading J. Unitas's comment that "the best pass defense is a good pass rush". Remembering those mid-late 1990's blackshirts kicking ass & taking names won't go away either.

Haha...as I said, I'm torn. But at the end of the day I'd rather see us lose by trying to rip the opponent's qb head off than playing contain where we don't contain. There's a damn good chance Bo will force me to STFU this year. I hope he does just that!

Every defense struggles with mobile QBs--not just Nebraska's.

True enough. Let's just be the 1st ones to figure out how to counter it without selling the ranch. Interior Dlineman have zero chance of running them down. Even great DEs (which we REALLY don't have) can't hack that and not one alive is gonna run down a DRob or Tmart.

I still think some SuperD, J. Willams, T. Farley guys blitzing at warp 7 is our best chance. Go for it Bo!!

What got frustrating last season was that we couldn't seem to rush or contain mobile qb's. Yes mobile qb's are troublesome in general but geez our rush was lacking. Think we should be better this season. Given that Dennard and Crick were injured last season don't think we'll miss them as much as folks think. Seisay seems like a beast and Rome should be ready for a starting roll, plus those around them should be improved. Think we made changes for the better in d-line and secondary coaching. Bo said we were pretty vanilla in our first season, we should be throwing more at offenses this time around.

Given that Dennard and Crick were injured last season don't think we'll miss them as much as folks think.

I agree, but losing David is worrisome. We couldn't contain mobile quarterbacks with him, and the thought of trying to contain them without him is scary. On the other hand, Bo doesn't believe in having someone staying on the quarterback (which David probably would have been good for) so maybe it won't be that big of a difference after all.

you worded it as a fact, like you know what your talking about....when you clearly dont

i'm sorry, I'll add a little note at the bottom of every post that states it's an opinion. since I'm posting in a forum I realize some take everything as fact. my apologies.

PS: I couldn't find the crayon font for you, so hopefully black/white is good enough.

"this is an opinion"

Ya know, it just seems like nothing is ever good enough for you. Our recruiting isnt good enough, our schemes arent good enough, our coaches are too young and inexperienced. Im not sure why you even follow the Huskers. You dont celebrate big wins in recruiting or on the field, you just come along and bring your negative attitude, and jump on every chance to say something bad about the program. We get a big QB recruit and all you can say is "hes not a 4 star on rivals" even thou hes one of the best QBs in the country (which you ignore) Being a fan is supporting your team through the ups and downs, not bitching about them every chance you get. I couldnt imagine watching a game with you. Learn to enjoy it a little eh.

didn't see you talking about us losing that 4* the other day. (i didn't say much about it either if you noticed). I approach things differently than you, that's obvious. There are lots of types of fans...those that bandwagon up and follow Pelini off a cliff. Those are the fans that are fighting tooth and nail to keep Paterno's name on everything at Penn State. There are debbie downers, and casual fans. I personally have more of a business background. I own a couple of companies, and nothing is ever good enough for me there either. You don't survive in my world by feasting on the status qou. You're constantly evaluating, constantly changing. You brush successes off as merely a milestone you were expected to pass anyway. I follow the Huskers (especially in the offseason) similarly. Nothing wrong with your way, and I hope there's not too much wrong with mine :)

Nope nothing wrong with your way either, just gets frustrating trying to get you to see the light. haha. :wasted

Im willing to give it thru the 2013 season, if we are still dealing with the same issues, Bo will have to jump off that cliff by himself.

I'm torn on this issue. Bo's signature is how stingy he is giving up points and he's had outstanding success here at NU doing that.

2003 - #2 ranked scoring defense (14.5 pts/game)

2008 - #80 ranked scoring defense (28.5 pts/game)

Of course, 2008 was Bo taking over Clownahan's destroyed blackshirts so imo that's a hardcore well deserved mulligan. But 2011 is the question. Losing Crick & Fonzy for most of the year hurt badly to be sure but giving up an additional TD per game isn't good at all. Not disastrous either.

So we'll see. I'm inclined to lean toward HuskerFowler's viewpoint that it's just essentially a talent issue that's being addressed. But another part of me remembers as a little kid reading J. Unitas's comment that "the best pass defense is a good pass rush". Remembering those mid-late 1990's blackshirts kicking ass & taking names won't go away either.

Haha...as I said, I'm torn. But at the end of the day I'd rather see us lose by trying to rip the opponent's qb head off than playing contain where we don't contain. There's a damn good chance Bo will force me to STFU this year. I hope he does just that!

Yep, thats my view, 42 overall with a young inexperience secondary in a "down" year isnt all that bad. Alabama lost 4 games and had an average defense in the year between their NC. If i wasnt so busy today i would look up what thier defense was rated, i bet you it was "average" and they have tons of talent waiting in the wings, and still lost 4 games, sometimes experience is invaluable.

Lets hope Bo does what he did from 08 09... 80th to 1st. I dont think well be first, but well be around 10th i would bet. Our secondary is going to be pretty tough, and when we can trust the secondary, we can afford to let the Dline loose a little. In my opinion thats why Bo was forced to leave the Dline in "patty cake" contain mode for most of the year.

I try not to claim that my opinion is all that matters, but its annoying to hear people say that Bo needs to change his scheme. Bos scheme is proven to work, we have all seen it, both here and LSU. He knows more about defense then everyone on this board combined, so ya im going to blindly follow his word as gospel, and its going to take alot more then one "average" year of defense for me to be calling out Bos schemes. That is all.

Yep, thats my view, 42 overall with a young inexperience secondary in a "down" year isnt all that bad. Alabama lost 4 games and had an average defense in the year between their NC. If i wasnt so busy today i would look up what thier defense was rated, i bet you it was "average" and they have tons of talent waiting in the wings, and still lost 4 games, sometimes experience is invaluable.

I bet you it wasn't... :)

I'm assuming you are talking about 2010 when they went 10-3? They had the #3 scoring defense that year. #1 last year, #2 in 2009, #7 in 2008.

Looking at this I see a disturbing trend. Each year we're giving up about a TD a year more, than the year before.

I know we've had some tremendous personnel, but are the rest of the folks catching up with what he's doing? Are the more mobile QB's the bigger reason for this? I know last year being the first year in the B1G, there was some expected "growing pains", but I'll be interested to see if the scoring defense numbers go back down to where we want them to be.

Bo's defensive short comings in the past partciularly in 2009 were masked by talent and a guy named by Suh, the next year the secondary takes over and you still have a good defense because teams can't pass successfully on you a majority of the time, then you get to last year where you only have one guy that is great with a bunch of average joe's and you see the result. Nebraska did not have a good defense last year, the numbers and personnel show that, Bo has to be able to change his defense when need by and allow more players to see that field that he wouldn't. He keeps great athletes on the bench and won't let them go out and learn by playing, he puts out guys that aren't as athletic but know his system and last year he figured out that doesn't work, athletes are needed to make a defense successful.

Looking at this I see a disturbing trend. Each year we're giving up about a TD a year more, than the year before.

At this rate, it won't be long before teams score 37 points a game on us! Next season, actually. Gulp :(

I know we've had some tremendous personnel, but are the rest of the folks catching up with what he's doing? Are the more mobile QB's the bigger reason for this? I know last year being the first year in the B1G, there was some expected "growing pains", but I'll be interested to see if the scoring defense numbers go back down to where we want them to be.

This is a personnel issue really. A big one: 2010, 2011 were played without Suh. 2011 was played without Prince and we had other issues in that secondary with health and youth. Bo is a defensive mastermind, but that doesn't mean he'll always be able to get and keep the personnel he and any other coach in America would need to be successful. As we move forward, that recruiting & development machine he's running will be subject to some scrutiny if we continue to struggle. I don't think his defensive coaching prowess should really come into question, though. He's one of the best.

At this rate, it won't be long before teams score 37 points a game on us! Next season, actually. Gulp :(

Well, not that bad, but one of the things that made people afraid to play us, isn't what it used to be. Two years ago, couple guys I work with, Tennessee and Notre Dame fans respectively, both mentioned, that defensively, our defense was "scary as hell". I want that back.

This is a personnel issue really. A big one: 2010, 2011 were played without Suh. 2011 was played without Prince and we had other issues in that secondary with health and youth. Bo is a defensive mastermind, but that doesn't mean he'll always be able to get and keep the personnel he and any other coach in America would need to be successful. As we move forward, that recruiting & development machine he's running will be subject to some scrutiny if we continue to struggle. I don't think his defensive coaching prowess should really come into question, though. He's one of the best.

But shouldn't it matter that kids would want to come play for a defensive mastermind? I think that should be a selling point, and I'd like to think that it's exploited.