Nebraska's Wide Receivers

Who will be this year's Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie? Will Reed be again underutilized in the game plan? Will Cotton be blocking on 3rd and short or will we try and "trick" em all season and put Reed in there to wiff and make Rex work? Will the drops be as numerious? Will the controversy be as prevalent?

will_smith_no.gif

Who will be this year's Niles Paul, Brandon Kinnie? Will Reed be again underutilized in the game plan? Will Cotton be blocking on 3rd and short or will we try and "trick" em all season and put Reed in there to wiff and make Rex work? Will the drops be as numerious? Will the controversy be as prevalent?

For all the talent we have on paper, I'm holding my breath with this group. A lot of their production depends on Beck. Thus far I haven't been impressed with how he's utilized the talent there. I know he can exploit it though, he did at Kansas (or Mangino did and Beck watched). Time will tell - at the end of the day they are still Nebraska receivers....and for whatever reason bad things happen.

YEAH......NO!!!

I think we know that Bell and Enunwa will be the starting X and Y's, but there's questions after that.

Who will see the field more at the slot position: Marlowe or Turner? Will Turner step it up at all this year?

Without touching the kool-aid, is it reasonable to expect Kenny Bell to have an even better year in 2012? He played extremely well in 2011.

Will Westernkamp see the field at all? Or is a redshirt in his future?

Enunwa, for how fantastic he was when targeted, didn't get targeted even close to enough. Will that change this year?

How do you guys see the receiving core playing out?

One snap at a time? :lol: j/k

I think Westerkamp redshirts. Although Bo does leave it to the player as to whether he 'shirts or not. Typically true freshman only play if there is a tremendous pressing need and clearly at WR there's no need to play him due to the depth in front of him. I just hope that if Westerkamp plays he doesn't spend his freshman season like Quincy Enunwa where he catches 1 pass.

If these guys play to their potential we'll have one of the sickest WR corps not only in the Big 10 but in the entire nation. Our WRs have the potential to be mentioned in the same category as USC, Arkansas, Oregon, etc-yeah they're that good.

As to your other questions... :dunno

Marlowe was the most consistent at what? He had 12 catches all year, 6 games with no catches at all. Bell and Enunwa were much better than Marlowe last year.

It's not necessarily how many catches Marlowe had, but the situations surrounding those catches. I broke this down a while ago and I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me right now, but something like half of those catches were for first downs, most of those half were on third-and-long, and I think 25% of them were on go-ahead scoring drives.

Marlowe hasn't always been flashy, but he's clutch, and he's one of the fastest guys on the team if (and this is a refrain we hear all over the team) IF we can get him into space. That's a scheme problem, not a Marlowe problem.

Clutch does not equal consistent...Enunwa and Bell both had more first down catches than Marlowe had total catches. I'm not saying Marlowe isn't a quality player, but there is better talented receivers on our team. I think sometimes we over-hype the undersized, speedy white guy.

I think we frequently over-hype the fast, speedy black guy who can't remember what route to run, drop passes, can't block a pylon & dogs it in practice.

For me, I'll take the motivated purple Martian who knows his routes, is a determined blocker and c-a-t-c-h-e-s the ball.

I would put the depth chart like this:

1: Bell,Westercamp,

2: Enunwa,Allen,

3:Turner,Marlowe,

My one issue with our WR corp, is we dont have a ton of size... Allen and Enunwa will help with 6'2 and 6'3 size... But Bell, Westercamp, turner and Marlowe are all more speed/slant guys which doesnt give as big of a target for a more inaccurate QB.

I am not a Marlowe guy... I think Turner should see a ton of reps there this year... SIMPLE AS THAT!

:yeah

Depth chart looks good

Bell, Enunwa and Turner would be three dynamic receivers in the pattern. Tack on Kyler Reed to that and you've a passing game a defense has to worry about. A lot.

T-Magic and the O Line had better hold up their end of the bargain this year. If they do, look for this offense to be scary-good.

Bell, Enunwa and Turner would be three dynamic receivers in the pattern. Tack on Kyler Reed to that and you've a passing game a defense has to worry about. A lot.

T-Magic and the O Line had better hold up their end of the bargain this year. If they do, look for this offense to be scary-good.

My thoughts exactly. I'm on board with you about the o-line....they have to play better this year if we want to see some great things happen.

yeah, there is that word again, potential to be great......guess we're hanging our hat on potential again this year...........seriously, we do have some guys, but it has been forever since our WR's have been a threat in the game......this year would have to be different.

I'd rather hang my hat on the potential of this group than be in agreement that we've got nothing there to even worry a defense.

yeah, there is that word again, potential to be great......guess we're hanging our hat on potential again this year...........seriously, we do have some guys, but it has been forever since our WR's have been a threat in the game......this year would have to be different.

I'd rather hang my hat on the potential of this group than be in agreement that we've got nothing there to even worry a defense.

oh, i quite agree, let's hope there is reason for our opponents to respect the pass once again.

It was Athlon or someone similar who ranked the Huskers Receiving Corps as second best unit in the Big 10. It surprised me because we haven't really seen it on the field, so it shouldn't get any better on paper.

At the same time I agree with it.

I'm pencilling in Bell as a superstar, and leaving it open for at least two of the others to step up. I'm not betting on Reed, who will likely get lost as a tweener.

And I can't really blame Beck or even Watson for how they "utilized" the receivers. They called plays. Receivers got open. Receivers dropped catchable balls. There are players who get into Bo Pelini's doghouse. I think Turner is one of them, for reasons we can only guess (bad 'tude during practice). So Turner's utilization is up to himself.

Success is contagious. If this offense clicks early they could turn into something special.