Will Peso D be back soon?

It seems like with the new coaches coming into the B1G, we are seeing less down hill running offenses like Wisky.

Iowa hired OC Davis that ran very successful Spread offense at Texas

Ohio State hired Meyers

Illinions (Beckman) is running the spread this year

Indiana, K WIlson from Oklahoma will run a hurry up spread

8 out of 12 will run a spread type of offense this year.

So, do we really need to change our D all that much?

Maybe a move would be better described as a power spread and not a speed spread. The biggest problem for B1G to play an effective speed spread is having fast WR's that can spread the field both vertically and horizontally. The fact that we have the #1 WR core is an indication that the B1G isn’t ready for a true speed spread at most schools. For now the true peso is shelved, but I can see a possible alteration becoming the next scheme Pelini uses to combat the offenses the Blackshirts face this year.

I would imagine we'll see a version of the Peso, or some variations on that thrown into the defense starting this year. Heck, Bo even ran some Peso last year.

The key to the Peso is having that hybrid back that can do it all. People seem to overlook just how awesome Eric Hagg was in that system. Bo mentioned several times that he built that defense around Hagg.

It seems like with the new coaches coming into the B1G, we are seeing less down hill running offenses like Wisky.

Iowa hired OC Davis that ran very successful Spread offense at Texas

Ohio State hired Meyers

Illinions (Beckman) is running the spread this year

Indiana, K WIlson from Oklahoma will run a hurry up spread

8 out of 12 will run a spread type of offense this year.

So, do we really need to change our D all that much?

This all comes back to that "mobile" QB discussion. Ohio State running the spread with Braxton or Michigan with Denard, versus Iowa running a spread offense with Vandenberg (sp?) is an entirely different animal for Pelini. We owned Oklahoma under Jones, and owned Missouri under Gabbert. Maybe we need that quick mobile peso back to stop a guy like Braxton - but I personally think it's going to have to be something different. I'm sure Bo has a plan though.

From the sounds of Urban, he plans to focus on speed.

Good point about B1G spread QB's are runners. Were as in the B12, we mostly say pocket passing QB's running the spread. Outside of RG3, i cant remember a scrambling QB that ran the spread in the B12.

But, I am glad to see the B1G evolving. I think the new coaches will start focusing on speed, and not just size. Hell other than Kirk and Brett, most the coaches in the league are very new.

My opinion on how to stop a mobile QB is a spy. Running a 4-3 our 2 outside LB share a spy on the QB. If the QB goes to the left our left OLB is responsible and the right DE has back contain, opposite if it goes to the right. Obviously this is a pretty basic scheme and wont work every time, but it might be something to try.

I would imagine we'll see a version of the Peso, or some variations on that thrown into the defense starting this year. Heck, Bo even ran some Peso last year.

The key to the Peso is having that hybrid back that can do it all. People seem to overlook just how awesome Eric Hagg was in that system. Bo mentioned several times that he built that defense around Hagg.

This. We will see variations of it for certain teams.