Mars Science Labratory - Curiosity

With Mars looming ever larger in front of it, NASA's Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft and its Curiosity rover are in the final stages of preparing for entry, descent and landing on the Red Planet at 10:31 p.m. PDT Aug. 5 (1:31 a.m. EDT Aug. 6). Curiosity remains in good health with all systems operating as expected.

http://www.nasa.gov/.../msl/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmWAyQxqqs

Further reading.

Cool indeed. Hope to see us put people on Mars in my life time.

It's funny to think that there will be lots of planets that will be discovered in our lifetime that are much more suited to have the possibility to travel to and maybe find a better atmosphere and the chance of current life, we just don't have the means to get to them...yet. I like the success of this mission, but I think I like the discoveries of ELPs are more interesting IMO

Just imagine if we flipped our war/space budgets.

Great idea. But I'd rather see our war budget spend on education and roads/infrastructure--costs that generally fall on local and state gov'ts. Not all of the war budget though. Just 85% or so.

Great idea. But I'd rather see our war budget spend on education and roads/infrastructure--costs that generally fall on local and state gov'ts. Not all of the war budget though. Just 85% or so.

i agree, i too think we spend too much on military. we should be concerned about defense and then allocate the excess funds elsewhere.

it will be interesting to see what this endeavor discovers and if nasa will get a boost from it.

With NASA funding cut/eliminated, most space travel and exploration funding will soon come from the private sector. NASA will use their assets but spend private dollars.