Nebraska to launch Rex Burkhead Heisman website

GSG

Hey bub, I did read your post. I read your last post as well. I take back my sarcasm. I guess you do think he is just ok. Good for you. I am glad we have this "average" back on our team. Let's see, currently he is behind the likes of Rozier, Clark, Crouch, Hipp, Green and others. Not to bad for an ok back.

I guess the only reason Martinez has any records is he has started 2 yrs and the O was built around him

Obviously you cant read because i said he was a good back. Hes not among the top 10 running backs in Husker History though, which isnt a bad thing considering we've had many, many good backs throughout the years. I would pick Burkhead over anyone when it comes to 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 2 situations but when it comes to all around backs, definately not top 10 in husker history, hes more around the 13th mark. But if you read my posts you can see that ive stated hes a good back not an "ok" back...Martinez isnt a top 5 Nebraska quarterback neither but this thread isnt about him.

Yes, really. What has Barkley done that is so remarkable?

Really?

308/446, 3528 yards, 69.1 %, 7.91 ypa, 39 TD, 7 INTs, 8 sacks. In 2011.

This is great that Rex is getting a website, by the way.

Zoogies, did you see my post where i compared barkely stats's to peyton manning's SR season stats? Barkley's junior year stats were only better than Peyton Manning's SR season stats, its not remarkable by any means...;)

For those thinking him not worthy he needs a mere 1277 yrds to be all time #2 on the Husker list. Only behind Mike Rozier. Think about that

To be fair - yes, if Rex has the kind of season he had last year, he'll be #2 on the all-time Husker list, jumping from the 12th spot. However, six of the players ahead of him (Ahman Green, Calvin Jones, Kenny Clark, I.M. Hipp, Lawrence Phillips, and Derek Brown) reached their career total in only three seasons.

Sidenote - Compare Mike Rozier's three seasons to Rex's three seasons. Rozier gained over 2000 yards more than Rex, and he lost half the yardage that Rex has lost - and Rex doesn't lose much yardage. Freakish. Oh how our offensive lines have fallen...

http://www.huskers.com/pdf8/881889.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100

However, six of the players ahead of him (Ahman Green, Calvin Jones, Kenny Clark, I.M. Hipp, Lawrence Phillips, and Derek Brown) reached their career total in only three seasons.

Compared to three and a half for Rex, the point is pretty moot (remember he was out with a broken foot some of 2008).

Yes, really. What has Barkley done that is so remarkable? I would also argue that being a preseason 2nd team All-American would place Burkhead amongst some of the "top players in college football". Also, is Ball that much better then Burkhead? I would say no, because Ball benefited from a lot of things that Burkhead did not. Ball had an OUTSTANDING offensive line, and OUTSTANDING quarterback play (let's not forget that Russell Wilson was a Heisman contender early in the year). Those are things that Burkhead did not have to his advantage. Having said that, all the credit goes to Ball for taking advantage of those benefits, and turning in a Heisman like year. Would Ball have put them numbers up on Nebraska's team? I would say no. Its fine if you think that Barkley, and Ball are better players then Burkhead (maybe they are), but to pretend that Rex isn't in their league is ridiculous.

First off, on the original post I quoted you on in this thread I think apologies are in order. I misread your post and it is what it is, thank you for the clarification.

On the Ball v. Burkhead issue I think the stats are telling;

Rushing 2011

Rex - 1357 Yards, 4.8 YPC, 15 TDs

Montee - 1923 Yards, 6.3 YPC, 33 TDs

Now people like to say that Rex is a complete back, he can do it all. Well Ball can too,

Receiving 2011

Rex - 177 Yards, 8.4 YPC, 2 TDs

Montee - 306 Yards, 12.8 YPC, 6TDs

Now lets look at 2010, when both kids were backups, and I should say its important to note that when Rex was the steady second option to Helu, Ball split the role, backing up Clay with James White. Ball, as a backup and at times a third stringer, was nearly the back Rex is as a starter;

Rex - 951 Yards, 5.5 YPC, 7 TDs

Montee - 996 Yards, 6.1 YPC, 18 TDs

Now I get the Offensive line argument and take it as a compliment though I don't think that if Rex and Montee swapped teams they'd have the other guy's numbers. Unless you want to say that NU was sporting 150lb linemen I don't think you can say that Burkhead would've posted twice his numbers with UW's line. It accounts for some of the differential but not all. At some point you have to admit Montee is just maybe, slightly better.

I like Rex, he's a real leader. As a former history major I especially like that he's a smart kid and takes his education seriously, that's admirable. That said lets not pretend that Montee is somehow completely lacking of character in comparison.

Ball put off the draft this year and came back to what in all likelihood will be a team that is less talented and less successful than last year. He's a running back so his career is limited, every year he spends in college is one less he'll get in the NFL. Additionally he must know that there is no way he'll repeat last year's performance, the time to go, if he was in it for money, was last year. Montee forfeited what might come to amount to millions of dollars over a career, to return to Wisconsin. That's damn admirable in my mind. He loves his team and he loves being a student at UW. That's why we saw him on Mifflin street and why he was at an early school party where he got in to a bit of trouble. That's part of college...he's a college kid and a damn fine one.

All of this being said I don't think either will win the Heisman. Montee's best shot was last year and Trent Richardson hogged much of the RB spotlight, I would argue, somewhat unjustifiably.

Anyhow I hope Rex has a great year.

Ball is a fantastic RB, no doubt.

Really?

Admittedly, I didnt realize his numbers were that good (I'll blame it on the late starts of West Coast games)....

Really?

Admittedly, I didnt realize his numbers were that good (I'll blame it on the late starts of West Coast games)....

He'll win it unless Lattimore plays out of his mind. Too much media on his side.

Really?

He'll win it unless Lattimore plays out of his mind. Too much media on his side.

As he should. His stats were better than Peyton Manning's Sr year stats. If Barkley improves just a little bit then he should get most of the votes.

Yes, really. What has Barkley done that is so remarkable? I would also argue that being a preseason 2nd team All-American would place Burkhead amongst some of the "top players in college football". Also, is Ball that much better then Burkhead? I would say no, because Ball benefited from a lot of things that Burkhead did not. Ball had an OUTSTANDING offensive line, and OUTSTANDING quarterback play (let's not forget that Russell Wilson was a Heisman contender early in the year). Those are things that Burkhead did not have to his advantage. Having said that, all the credit goes to Ball for taking advantage of those benefits, and turning in a Heisman like year. Would Ball have put them numbers up on Nebraska's team? I would say no. Its fine if you think that Barkley, and Ball are better players then Burkhead (maybe they are), but to pretend that Rex isn't in their league is ridiculous.

First off, on the original post I quoted you on in this thread I think apologies are in order. I misread your post and it is what it is, thank you for the clarification.

On the Ball v. Burkhead issue I think the stats are telling;

Rushing 2011

Rex - 1357 Yards, 4.8 YPC, 15 TDs

Montee - 1923 Yards, 6.3 YPC, 33 TDs

Now people like to say that Rex is a complete back, he can do it all. Well Ball can too,

Receiving 2011

Rex - 177 Yards, 8.4 YPC, 2 TDs

Montee - 306 Yards, 12.8 YPC, 6TDs

Now lets look at 2010, when both kids were backups, and I should say its important to note that when Rex was the steady second option to Helu, Ball split the role, backing up Clay with James White. Ball, as a backup and at times a third stringer, was nearly the back Rex is as a starter;

Rex - 951 Yards, 5.5 YPC, 7 TDs

Montee - 996 Yards, 6.1 YPC, 18 TDs

Now I get the Offensive line argument and take it as a compliment though I don't think that if Rex and Montee swapped teams they'd have the other guy's numbers. Unless you want to say that NU was sporting 150lb linemen I don't think you can say that Burkhead would've posted twice his numbers with UW's line. It accounts for some of the differential but not all. At some point you have to admit Montee is just maybe, slightly better.

I like Rex, he's a real leader. As a former history major I especially like that he's a smart kid and takes his education seriously, that's admirable. That said lets not pretend that Montee is somehow completely lacking of character in comparison.

Ball put off the draft this year and came back to what in all likelihood will be a team that is less talented and less successful than last year. He's a running back so his career is limited, every year he spends in college is one less he'll get in the NFL. Additionally he must know that there is no way he'll repeat last year's performance, the time to go, if he was in it for money, was last year. Montee forfeited what might come to amount to millions of dollars over a career, to return to Wisconsin. That's damn admirable in my mind. He loves his team and he loves being a student at UW. That's why we saw him on Mifflin street and why he was at an early school party where he got in to a bit of trouble. That's part of college...he's a college kid and a damn fine one.

All of this being said I don't think either will win the Heisman. Montee's best shot was last year and Trent Richardson hogged much of the RB spotlight, I would argue, somewhat unjustifiably.

Anyhow I hope Rex has a great year.

I can live with this argument! We don't need Rex to be as good as Montee. We need our line to play as good as Wiskys! And rest would take care of itself. I could care less if people say Rex isn't as dynamic or flashy of a player to be heisman material! I'll forfeit any chance to ever have a Heisman trophy winning running back if it means every RB Nebraska has in the future handles themselves on and off the field the way Rex does! In a day where some programs are respresented nationally by shortcomings of players(Honeybadger) or coaches(Sandusky), we here at Nebraska should be ecstatic and very damn proud to have Rex be the face of our program! GBR!
However, six of the players ahead of him (Ahman Green, Calvin Jones, Kenny Clark, I.M. Hipp, Lawrence Phillips, and Derek Brown) reached their career total in only three seasons.

Compared to three and a half for Rex, the point is pretty moot (remember he was out with a broken foot some of 2008).

All of those other guys missed games one way or another. Ahman Green fought turf toe early in 1996, then had a stress fracture in his foot later in the season. Lawrence Phillips, as we all know, missed most of the 1995 season. I.M. Hipp's final season was cut short by turf toe. Etc.

Here is one thing and one thing only to think about. Our O line sucks. Every yard Rex has gotten the past three years he has banged out every one. IMO, he "earned" every yard. He also single handedly won ISU in the Rexcat and carried several other games as well. His off the field actions are Hypesamn worthy alone.

Here is an attached link talking about Rex. Good read IMO.

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/708189825

For those thinking him not worthy he needs a mere 1277 yrds to be all time #2 on the Husker list. Only behind Mike Rozier. Think about that, a crappy line, a season in 2010 were everyone including the refs were against us. On a team that has not had a passing threat since he has been playing. Going Sat after Sat against teams that did nothing more than stack the box and dare us to run which we did. NOt to mention breaking his foot and missing a great deal of playing time.

Again, Rex has earned these numbers on a team with not many other weapons.

One of the all time Husker greats, regardless of outcome with the Hypesman.

You think rex is the only guy in history to be a really good back on crappy teams? Im pretty sure there are have been a decent amount of running backs throughout the years that could say they were great but were held back by their not so great offense. Burkhead isnt the only person that has had to deal with this issue. Rex is a good rb but at this point in time there are better options out there for heisman finalist predctions. Hopefully Rex has a monster year and persuades voters that he should be invited.

We have a crappy team? Did i invent time travel and wake up in Sept 2007?