Nebraska to launch Rex Burkhead Heisman website

GSG

For the record, I'm not saying offensive line is the only problem this team has. It's the most fundamental problem, and as such, the one that needs to get fixed first. Offensive line is the base of the pyramid.

Definitely agree that we need to shore up the passing game. We need to shore up the running game, blocking reads by RBs, we need to figure out which TE to use where (Reed is not a blocker, et al), we need to figure out a way to get the ball in Jamal Turner's hands in space, we need to get Martinez to the edge without tacklers in his face immediately... we have a lot of issues.

I'd be surprised if we pass more than 40% this year. Martinez simply isn't a passing quarterback. If we try to go 50/50 I think we'll have a very bogged-down offense more often than is good for us.

For the record, I'm not saying offensive line is the only problem this team has. It's the most fundamental problem, and as such, the one that needs to get fixed first. Offensive line is the base of the pyramid.

Definitely agree that we need to shore up the passing game. We need to shore up the running game, blocking reads by RBs, we need to figure out which TE to use where (Reed is not a blocker, et al), we need to figure out a way to get the ball in Jamal Turner's hands in space, we need to get Martinez to the edge without tacklers in his face immediately... we have a lot of issues.

I'd be surprised if we pass more than 40% this year. Martinez simply isn't a passing quarterback. If we try to go 50/50 I think we'll have a very bogged-down offense more often than is good for us.

I was watching purdue's season preview couple nights ago. their coach was saying last year they ran to open up the passing game. we did that. he said this year they are going to pass to open up the running game (think northwestern game). I could see us going more in that direction as well. Martinez in year 3. Beck did this a lot at KU. It's not about 40 yard passes, or always looking for the big play when Martinez goes to pass. That's what it's seemed like for the last couple of years (2010 more than 2011). I see him going above 40% for this reason. It will be counted as a pass, but it's almost a run because it's just a 3-6 yard pass then let your athletes do their thing.

I was watching purdue's season preview couple nights ago. their coach was saying last year they ran to open up the passing game. we did that. he said this year they are going to pass to open up the running game (think northwestern game). I could see us going more in that direction as well. Martinez in year 3. Beck did this a lot at KU. It's not about 40 yard passes, or always looking for the big play when Martinez goes to pass. That's what it's seemed like for the last couple of years (2010 more than 2011). I see him going above 40% for this reason. It will be counted as a pass, but it's almost a run because it's just a 3-6 yard pass then let your athletes do their thing.

I would really hope that's what they do. Martinez isn't a big "air it out" kind of QB - but for some reason we kept trying to have him do that last year. Beck seemed unwilling or unable to play to the strengths of his offense. Give Martinez quick passes to guys like Reed, Bell and Turner, let them get the ball in their hands with a high-percentage pass, and see what they can do after the catch. That's the best way to use their skill and Martinez' ability, IMVHO.

I would really hope that's what they do. Martinez isn't a big "air it out" kind of QB - but for some reason we kept trying to have him do that last year. Beck seemed unwilling or unable to play to the strengths of his offense. Give Martinez quick passes to guys like Reed, Bell and Turner, let them get the ball in their hands with a high-percentage pass, and see what they can do after the catch. That's the best way to use their skill and Martinez' ability, IMVHO.

While I agree with you, looking back on games seems to paint a slightly different picture of Martinez, where he almost could be considered an air it out QB. Okie State in '10 he was just slinging that ball everywhere - same with Northwestern this year, and if we remember the Wisconsin game before the three picks we were passing almost every play. The beginning of the Ohio State game had a large amount of passing as well.

I'm just thinking out loud.

I agree, i think we will see alot of that as well, and alot of play action to kyler and Bell after we establish a ground game. I think we will throw 25-30 times a game but it will look like the Northwestern game and depending on the team we are playing cater the to their defensive weakness, why i think they want to be "mulitple" so a team cant really cant really prepare for us because we can attack so many different ways. Bo being the defensive genius that he is knows how hard it is on a defense that can attack you thru mulitple facets, and he is trying to create that on his offense. Lets hope it works.

While I agree with you, looking back on games seems to paint a slightly different picture of Martinez, where he almost could be considered an air it out QB. Okie State in '10 he was just slinging that ball everywhere - same with Northwestern this year, and if we remember the Wisconsin game before the three picks we were passing almost every play. The beginning of the Ohio State game had a large amount of passing as well.

I'm just thinking out loud.

I suppose I should have been more clear. By "air it out," I meant downfield throws. Martinez is at his best in intermediate throws. He puts too much air under his long passes, leading to defensed passes or INTs.

In almost every analysis of the Huskers, there's a lot of offensive talent that risks being thwarted by a second-tier offensive line, an almost unthinkable thing at Nebraska.

Whatever you might thing about Taylor Martinez, he's a far greater weapon passing and running than a lot of Husker quarterbacks who lined up behind dominating offensive lines and handed the ball to running backs who were probably better if not as likeable as Rex Burkhead.

And while Martinez is crazy fast, he's not as quick and nimble in the pocket. There are some big lumbering quarterbacks who still have the footwork to avoid the rush for the extra second needed to complete a pass. So even when Martinez isn't being sacked, he still needs that second to plant a foot and make a better throw. Although watching those Burkhead highlights, Martinez did a couple great improvs on the run.

Airing it out is typically less risky than crossing routes and even some of those wide-side screens. I hope we spray the ball all over the place and get the defense out of the box.

And I don't think there's a magic formula of 50/50 or 60/40 for run pass. It can and should change from game to game depending on the opposing team's gameplan and/or weakness. We need to do a lot of things well, and I think we can.

If the offensive line is up for it.