ESPNU is not impressed

So, I made a point to catch the ESPNU Big 10 preview. They spent very little time on the Huskers. After giving considerable time to Penn State (all the changes), Ohio State (Urban), Michigan (Denard), Wisky (2 time Big 10 champs, another transfer QB), and Michigan State (made their defense sound like it is best thing since sliced bread), they gave virtually no time to Nebraska. Basically said it was our second year in the Big 10 after coming in last year as a potential favorite. Mentioned we have a tough schedule and the analyst who was asked if we will do better this year than last said that we would not and we would not get 5 conference wins this year. Sheesh...I know there is that ESPN conspiracy theory and all ( :espnsucks: ) but they just sort of made us an afterthought with Minny and Iowa. I expected them to give us some more time and more of a here is how Nebraska can do well vs. here is how they will struggle. Instead under 30 seconds for our segment?

They talked up Monte Ball and Denard Robinson and the MSU defense. Also mentioned RB Bell at MSU as the next best back in the conference. Gave only a mention of Burkhead near the end.

I found it interesting that they picked the Big 10 as the unanimous second toughest conference behind the SEC.

Anyway, maybe it is a good thing that the national media is not expecting squat out of this year's team and just let the team do what it can. These other teams have huge expecations from the media...Robinson and Michigan, Ball and Wisky, and Urban at OSU (they think that team will win 10 games). Our highest expectations are from the fans which is only because we care so much. Maybe not having the national media attention will make us that much more hungry...I sure hope so!

...and Michigan State (made their defense sound like it is best thing since sliced bread),...

sliced bread would make for a horrible defense.

espn (and espnu, to a larger extent) is lazy. plain and simple. they go after easy story lines and big markets. they spend half their time talking about how ridiculous the tebow coverage is, then the other half covering tebow. those shows, the ones i expect to hear about NU, always let me down.

Well, we finished third in the division last year, got soundly beat in two big conference road games, dropped a winnable conference game at home, and really have no big changes in the roster or coaching staff. Breaking News: We are an afterthought as far as preseason hype goes.

I hear you but they made it sound like we weren't even ranked and they probably don't expect us to be. Basically moved on quickly and didn't give Husker fan anything to look forward to...I was sort of agitated. Give me some Rex, TMart, or analyze the defense or something.

I would think that's a common thing, and wouldn't take it too seriously. Got to admit we've had our share of hype only to not live up to the expectations and predictions. That said, I like us flying under the radar. Gives us more to go out and prove over the course.

My thoughts on the other "front runners"

Penn State - lots of stuff going on. Doesn't equate to on the field. They'll be hovering around .500

OSU - if it wasn't for Urban, this program is on it's way to being somewhere between 15-30 ranked over the next few years. Buckeyes got lucky there. It's only pride if they don't recognize and admit it.

Michigan - Dennard is fabulous through the first 5 or 6 weeks, then zoinks it for a few games. Still not a threat passing except for desparation floaters down field. I like their coach, though. He got their team playing well last year. Will see if things have changed for them or if it they're one year wonders.

Wisconsin - Like their coach as well. Got to give the Badgers credit and respect. Russell Wilson was one of the best QB's in the nation. As much as I would like to think they could drop a peg or 2, remember that they did make it to Rose Bowl with Stolzien (prev QB). And hate to say it, but their OL looks like what we used to have - Big Tough Strong Cornfed lineman that moved defenses off the ball. Not just big eaters and trying to learn playbooks.

Purdue - just kidding

We will see what happens. Tmart hopefully got his passing $h!t together or else we will be the same inconsistent offense ( sad face) against the best competition we face. Our previous defense schemes was more suited for Big 12 short passing attacks and containment, but in this conference we need to rush the passer and have linebacker studs that kill you against the running game. Peso and Dime coverages are not required here.

Coaching - I am optomistic that we do have a good core of players, some playmakers on both sides, and fellas that have been around for a few years. It's time for coaches to adjust during games, and not just be too head strong on their systems. They need to take accountability more this year. They need to find our strengths, support it and give this team an identity. No more week to week trying to figure it out. I'm excited mostly because, I'm not sure what to expect....and crazy enough, seem's like that's a good thing IMO GBR!

It was a definite slight the way they briefly touched on Neb. Said we were the probably the fifth-best team in the con and since we play all of the top four we won't get to five conference wins. Then they moved-on. Didn't even bother to have both commentators mention us. We are the winningest program of the last fifty years and we get treated as an afterthought? Bell is hands-down the second best back in the con? Bite me.

It was a definite slight the way they briefly touched on Neb. Said we were the probably the fifth-best team in the con and since we play all of the top four we won't get to five conference wins. Then they moved-on. Didn't even bother to have both commentators mention us. We are the winningest program of the last fifty years and we get treated as an afterthought? Bite me.

I know what you mean, but I'm past that. It seems that ever since they were ranting about the two Huskers teams vying for greatest team of all time, they've been hating...

Well, we finished third in the division last year, got soundly beat in two big conference road games, dropped a winnable conference game at home, and really have no big changes in the roster or coaching staff. Breaking News: We are an afterthought as far as preseason hype goes.

We were in a transition to a new conference that plays a different style of ball. It was an adjustment year. We were also implementing a new offense with TM hardly running on all cylinders. Being in the second year of an offense pretty conistently makes a difference. Kaz and Joseph are upgrades on D, so is Bo going back to being de-facto DC after the failed GM experiment. We have as many or more starters back as compared to the teams those other teams. Plus last time I checked we whipped MSU from the opening bell. Presuming we can't beat them this season is just silly. Not saying we should be picked to win. I don't pick us to. Just saying the afterthought treatment for a program that has consistently been in and is currently in the top25 is ridiculous.