Closing Arguments: Nebraska

The one "expert" lost me when he predicted a loss to Penn State...........

Penn State is the one team that I would say has the best chance to unexpectedly beat us. Ever since they had the sanctions cast upon them, everyone has counted them out already. I honestly think that they will be pretty good this year. They will be stout once again on defense, and with an offensive-minded head coach taking a new (and probably better) approach on the offensive side of the ball, Penn State is one team that could be pretty dang good.

I agree Penn St. could easily go 8-4 or better this year. It will be year 2,3,4 and beyond of the sanctions that you see them slip.

Why? They've already lost their best player due to the fiasco, and a handful of others (not sure how many, or who, exactly).

They were overrated last year because they played a creampuff schedule (save Alabama) until the last month of the season. Then were exposed, badly. They won't be as "good" this year.

Penn State is the one team that I would say has the best chance to unexpectedly beat us. Ever since they had the sanctions cast upon them, everyone has counted them out already. I honestly think that they will be pretty good this year. They will be stout once again on defense, and with an offensive-minded head coach taking a new (and probably better) approach on the offensive side of the ball, Penn State is one team that could be pretty dang good.

I'm going to agree that Penn State could be good. But they won't and here's why:

1. Silas Redd and a host of other very good players have exited.

2. Bill O'Brien is coming from the NFL and typically coaches from the league have bad teams their first season: Callahan, Weis, Sherman, et al.

3. No depth. This team better stay healthy because they literally have no one behind the starters.

Bottom line, Penn State could rally and over-achieve this year. But my money is saying that once the grind of the season starts the lack of depth just crushes this team. If PSU goes 8-4 in the regular season or better then O'Brien is hands down Coach Of The Decade (not just year).

I think Penn State will be 5-7 at best in '12.

I'm going to agree that Penn State could be good. But they won't and here's why:

1. Silas Redd and a host of other very good players have exited.

2. Bill O'Brien is coming from the NFL and typically coaches from the league have bad teams their first season: Callahan, Weis, Sherman, et al.

3. No depth. This team better stay healthy because they literally have no one behind the starters.

Bottom line, Penn State could rally and over-achieve this year. But my money is saying that once the grind of the season starts the lack of depth just crushes this team. If PSU goes 8-4 in the regular season or better then O'Brien is hands down Coach Of The Decade (not just year).

I think Penn State will be 5-7 at best in '12.

Not only do I agree with you, but think there is a 35 - 40 % chance that Frank and the Bobcats surprise them in the opener. (I tried getting some conversation on that feasibility in a thread a few weeks ago, but found few takers). IF that happens, their season could totally implode.

Not only do I agree with you, but think there is a 35 - 40 % chance that Frank and the Bobcats surprise them in the opener. (I tried getting some conversation on that feasibility in a thread a few weeks ago, but found few takers). IF that happens, their season could totally implode.

Oh lordy, if Ohio comes in and actually beats Penn State I'll be laughing my a** off....... :LOLtartar

Oh lordy, if Ohio comes in and actually beats Penn State I'll be laughing my a** off....... :LOLtartar

It's a very real possibility. A few media types are saying Ohio might be a darkhorse BCS buster this season. Solich is doing a very good job there.