Burkhead

Well done, Sam. Well done.

It gets in your blood and you can't get rid of it, Rick Burkhead says of football. Even 20 miles from the epicenter of the college basketball universe, football crept into his heart, camped there and wouldn't leave. So he passed it to his sons, Ryan and Rex.

Eldest son Ryan was big, smart as a whip and talented. He loved to compete, loved football, but he loved school even more. He'd sometimes stay up until 3 a.m. studying.

Younger brother Rex liked school just fine, especially American history. The Revolutionary War. Colonial times. Abraham Lincoln.

But the American game? The brutal weekend ballet, 11 to a side on a 120-yard field, the intersection of violence and beauty, pain and perseverance, tackle and touchdown?

It got into Rex's blood. And he couldn't get rid of it.

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/708289828

NU career rushing leaders

1. Mike Rozier - 4,837

2. Ahman Green - 3,989

3. Eric Crouch - 3,950

4. Roy Helu Jr. - 3,536

5. Calvin Jones - 3,215

6. Ken Clark - 3,112

7. I.M. Hipp - 2,913

8. Lawrence Phillips - 2,886

9. Dahrran Diedrick - 2,837

10. Cory Ross - 2,877

11. Derek Brown - 2,784

12. Rex Burkhead - 2,756

I know this isn't what the article was about, but it just got me to thinking about where Rex is on the list. If he can duplicate his numbers from last year, he'll move up to #2. Which is pretty impressive considering how mediocre some of our offenses have been.