One way to fix the defensive line play...

Fuzzy

we suck... i'm mad about it

:lame

Our offense cranked out 632 total yards while our defense gave up a grand total of 260 yards and 13 points. So "we" don't suck. You on the other hand.....

:rickjames

That was the beer talking.. forgive me.

Defensive front was my biggest concern coming into the season and will continue to be. People got real high on camstache early on. The more i watch him, the more i think he was mainly an afterthought for opponents whose main concern rhymed blendomaken.

Oh it's all good dude. We all at some point have let alcohol override our judgement and posted something where we overstate something.

And you are perfectly within the parameters of reason to express concerns about our defense in particularly the front four.

While we only gave up 260 yards in total, we did give up 185 on the ground.

That is definitely a cause for concern. If that rushing per game allowed drops to about 100 or less per game then we will have an outstanding defense. If it stays in the 170-200 range we could still have a great year but our defense will get abused.

looked a lot like last years defense...did anyone notice how easily the zone read and option worked against our weakside and strongside lb'ers...we have some serious work to do on the defensive line and linebackers..dont forget..we have an extremely strong running qb and rb coming up next weekend...hope we can fill these holes

RB yes very good, QB is not that good of runner. I watched the UCLA game last thursday night, and there QB runs about like Cody Green. Maybe a half step faster but that's it. Noting like the guy we seen this week, nor Robinson, or Miller.

Interesting quote from the S.Miss coach:

“When we subbed quarterbacks and switched a little bit of our game plan — let’s face it, we weren’t going to win the football game in the third quarter,” the Golden Eagles’ first-year coach said. “It was more about trying to improve our football team.”

Weren't they very much in it in the 3rd quarter?

I thought the same thing during the game. If I were and USM fan I would be a little worried if my new head coach was throwing in the towel when he was down 34-17 in the 3rd qt, and his offense was moving the ball.

What happened to this "attacking defensive line" I heard about in the preseason? It basically looks like on every play our d-line is trying to block the o-linemen...not try to get into the backfield. It has been frustrating to watch. Something better be fixed or this defense is going to get eaten alive in conference play.

What happened to this "attacking defensive line" I heard about in the preseason? It basically looks like on every play our d-line is trying to block the o-linemen...not try to get into the backfield. It has been frustrating to watch. Something better be fixed or this defense is going to get eaten alive in conference play.

LOL...what games involving B1G teams leads you to this half-baked assertion?

1. Wisconsin's narrow escape from Northern Iowa?

2. Iowa's one point win over Northern Illinois?

3. Michigan getting hammered by Alabama?

4. Or maybe it was Michigan State's almost losing to Boise State (at home) that has you tossing and turning?

I know that as a Nebraska fan joining in the "we suck" chorus is the new black but get real.

• Fire 1

4. Or maybe it was Michigan State's almost losing to Boise State (at home) that has you tossing and turning?

I know that as a Nebraska fan joining in the "we suck" chorus is the new black but get real.

Southern Miss ran for nearly 200 yards against Nebraska. Are you assuming the offensive lines, running backs, and quarterbacks in the Big 10 - specifically on Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St - are worse than what Southern Miss has? Bell, Ball, Robinson, and Miller come to mind. Not to mention that Wisconsin has a proven track record of developing quality college o-linemen.

It was just something I noticed. Nebraska's d-line did not play good. They looked slow and and were getting pushed around.......by Southern Miss. I'm not sure if it's talent or scheme - I tend to lean towards a mixture of the two - but hopefully something changes and d-line play improves or our defense will struggle the rest of the year.

Southern Miss ran for nearly 200 yards against Nebraska. Are you assuming the offensive lines, running backs, and quarterbacks in the Big 10 - specifically on Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan, and Michigan St - are worse than what Southern Miss has? Bell, Ball, Robinson, and Miller come to mind. Not to mention that Wisconsin has a proven track record of developing quality college o-linemen.

It was just something I noticed. Nebraska's d-line did not play good. They looked slow and and were getting pushed around.......by Southern Miss. I'm not sure if it's talent or scheme - I tend to lean towards a mixture of the two - but hopefully something changes and d-line play improves or our defense will struggle the rest of the year.

If you believe the DL didn't play well then nothing I say will cause you to change your mind.

@'SkersRule

"Igetbored216" is not the only one who believes that the play of our D-Line against Southern Miss last Saturday portends bad things to come down the road.

I hope I'm wrong but 5 years of coach speak have left me numb. At the end of the day we have still not beaten a team ranked in the top 15 since I don't know when, we continue to lose 3-4 games a year..these are indisputable facts that can't be argued even if you don't like the fact that people point them out.

Not all fans fit into the good little box that our peers would like us to, pardon us for being frustrated after another off season of being told how our D-Line is going to be better this year only to come away from game 1 with warning signs and evidence to the contrary.

southern miss would kick the crap out of wisconsin

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. If not, you may be nuts.

The D line didn't show up very well. The box score doesn't tell the whole story. The Wyoming game last year was tough to watch at times but we ended up covering and the stats didn't look all that bad. To be fair to our guys, Anthony Alford is going to make a lot of D lines look slow.

I already said this on another thread, but i'll go again. The spread offense, (So. Miss) is the hardest and most difficult defense to defend in all of football. Hence, why the NFL is accepting it more and more into the game. The only team that I saw this weekend stuff the dual threat quarterbacks/read options was Alabama. And, we know how much of a higher level they're on then everyone else in the country. Wisconsin and Michigan St. are perfect offenses for us to defend. Wisconsin, on Saturday played smashmouth for the entire game, and were averaging maybe 3 yards at most a carry vs Northern Iowa. Danny O'Brien was nothing to drool over. He was a pocket quarterback, which is what our defense thrives on. Examples, Jake Locker (Minus Holiday Bowl, didn't happen), Curt Cousins, James Vandenberg, Blaine Gabbert. All quality quarterbacks who had no luck of anything against us. That's why I believe Michigan State and Wisconsin are gimmes. Michigan and Ohio State are reasonable things to be scared about. But, Wisconsin and Michigan State looked like complete dog drool this weekend, and both were at home, So imagine wisky on the road. I think our defense was fine once they knew more about Southern Miss' offense. Which was the second half. They were driving down the field time and time again in the first, but the second half, 100 yards and 3 points, and almost all punts, sit down my friend and wait for UCLA. if we are still struggling after UCLA then there is obviously more room for discussion. But, we also had 11 TFL and 3 sacks, which isn't a bad game at all, against a team's offense that you don't know.

• Fire 1

I re-watched the game again and our Dline didn't do as bad as some are saying. During the first half, we got good penetration at the snap but was beat by the RB or QB when we got back there. In the second half, we started playing the more read and react with the Dline and again, the guys were there to make the tackle, just didn't do a good job of getting it done. I was pretty happy with how the D played and think we will see a big jump this coming weekend.

I re-watched the game again and our Dline didn't do as bad as some are saying. During the first half, we got good penetration at the snap but was beat by the RB or QB when we got back there. In the second half, we started playing the more read and react with the Dline and again, the guys were there to make the tackle, just didn't do a good job of getting it done. I was pretty happy with how the D played and think we will see a big jump this coming weekend.

I think this is the key. Over pursuit, wrong angles, poor tackling form ie technique and the basics. Hopefully with some real game film to watch with new DL coach and DC some changes will get made. I still have to say that Cam is a disappointment at DE. He is S-L-O-W. We need to fix that. Hopefully Bo will bring in a guys like SJB, Cooper etc as a stand up rush end at times to help out ala Super D in 2003.

I already said this on another thread, but i'll go again. The spread offense, (So. Miss) is the hardest and most difficult defense to defend in all of football. Hence, why the NFL is accepting it more and more into the game. The only team that I saw this weekend stuff the dual threat quarterbacks/read options was Alabama. And, we know how much of a higher level they're on then everyone else in the country. Wisconsin and Michigan St. are perfect offenses for us to defend. Wisconsin, on Saturday played smashmouth for the entire game, and were averaging maybe 3 yards at most a carry vs Northern Iowa. Danny O'Brien was nothing to drool over. He was a pocket quarterback, which is what our defense thrives on. Examples, Jake Locker (Minus Holiday Bowl, didn't happen), Curt Cousins, James Vandenberg, Blaine Gabbert. All quality quarterbacks who had no luck of anything against us. That's why I believe Michigan State and Wisconsin are gimmes. Michigan and Ohio State are reasonable things to be scared about. But, Wisconsin and Michigan State looked like complete dog drool this weekend, and both were at home, So imagine wisky on the road. I think our defense was fine once they knew more about Southern Miss' offense. Which was the second half. They were driving down the field time and time again in the first, but the second half, 100 yards and 3 points, and almost all punts, sit down my friend and wait for UCLA. if we are still struggling after UCLA then there is obviously more room for discussion. But, we also had 11 TFL and 3 sacks, which isn't a bad game at all, against a team's offense that you don't know.

There is alot wrong with what you are saying. First, the Big 12 had better spread offenses than any conference in the country in 2009 and 2010. Last time I checked, our defense was pretty solid against most of those offenses in both years. Granted, in 2009 we had Suh, but the defense was still pretty damn good in 2010 without him.

Michigan St and Wisconsin are "gimmes"? Really? Based off of what? Sorry, but I don't think anyone will take you seriously after making a statement like that.