One way to fix the defensive line play...

Fuzzy

Holy crap, our defensive line is garbage. No hyperbole.

Just re-watched Southern Miss' first offensive drive.

First play they fake a hand off to a WR, all four of our defensive linemen bite on the fake. QB hands it off to their RB and he takes it for 9 yards. I'm not Ankrah's coach, but I'd think he has to stay home on that one.

Next play is a zone read give, all four defensive linemen get pushed back, about a 4 yard gain for a first down. I think Chase Rome makes the tackle because he was pushed back 4 yards by Southern Miss' offensive lineman.

Then they run a zone read keeper, 3 guys bite on the fake, Meredith stays home, but is too slow and dumb to make a play. QB gains about 6 yards, Whaley makes the tackle.

Then they run it right up the gut, all four of our defensive lineman just get dominated. Huge gain. Luckily it was brought back because of a false start penalty.

1st and 15. Southern Miss runs it up the middle. Our d-line kind of stands their ground, they still get pushed back a little, but take up enough blockers for Compton to come in and make the tackle. 1 or 2 yard gain.

Next play Southern Miss throws a screen to the WR while the linemen play patty cake in the trenches. No gain? Maybe a yard.

3rd and 13. Southern Miss brings in the Frosh QB. We blitz everybody. Still don't get any pressure. :lol: Luckily Alford panics and runs into a mass of bodies.

Southern Miss punts.

For as much as people criticize our offensive line, our defensive line makes them look like all-stars.

• Fire 4

It's really difficult to prepare for an opponent who brings in a new head coach and has no set starter at quarterback. You're asking the defense to prepare for a lot of different things, many of which are unknowns, and that can be very taxing. Furthermore, I personally don't think we have a lot of great talent there right now. It's good, but it's not great.

Agree with you enhance, it couldn't have been an easy task trying to prepare for this game. Exactly why I'm trying to reserve judgement until we get a few games where we have tape on opponents. Obviously that doesn't excuse sloppy tackling................goes without saying.

Still, our defensive line was getting pushed around by a C-USA offensive line. I don't think film study is going to magically make them grow a pair.

I started paying particuliar attention to our defensive line in the 2nd quarter and I agree they were getting pushed around. Where was that head butt technique Kaz was supposed to be teaching them? I can't say I seen it today?

Holy crap, our defensive line is garbage. No hyperbole.

Just re-watched Southern Miss' first offensive drive.

First play they fake a hand off to a WR, all four of our defensive linemen bite on the fake. QB hands it off to their RB and he takes it for 9 yards. I'm not Ankrah's coach, but I'd think he has to stay home on that one.

Next play is a zone read give, all four defensive linemen get pushed back, about a 4 yard gain for a first down. I think Chase Rome makes the tackle because he was pushed back 4 yards by Southern Miss' offensive lineman.

Then they run a zone read keeper, 3 guys bite on the fake, Meredith stays home, but is too slow and dumb to make a play. QB gains about 6 yards, Whaley makes the tackle.

Then they run it right up the gut, all four of our defensive lineman just get dominated. Huge gain. Luckily it was brought back because of a false start penalty.

1st and 15. Southern Miss runs it up the middle. Our d-line kind of stands their ground, they still get pushed back a little, but take up enough blockers for Compton to come in and make the tackle. 1 or 2 yard gain.

Next play Southern Miss throws a screen to the WR while the linemen play patty cake in the trenches. No gain? Maybe a yard.

3rd and 13. Southern Miss brings in the Frosh QB. We blitz everybody. Still don't get any pressure. :lol: Luckily Alford panics and runs into a mass of bodies.

Southern Miss punts.

For as much as people criticize our offensive line, our defensive line makes them look like all-stars.

Our Oline is mid 90's road graders relative to our Dline. No doubt that will be blamed on Barney too.

I'm going to reserve judgment of the line as a whole right not. I'm going to hammer on an individual instead, as much as I am against such a thing and RARELY do. Cameron Meredith is a mess. I see no motivation from this man. He's slow and seems to always be out of position. He has not been the same last season and so far this season as he was in 2010. I just dont get it. I won't question effort of the other guys, but right now there seems to just be too much thinking going on in the front seven and not enough flying.

It's really difficult to prepare for an opponent who brings in a new head coach and has no set starter at quarterback. You're asking the defense to prepare for a lot of different things, many of which are unknowns, and that can be very taxing. Furthermore, I personally don't think we have a lot of great talent there right now. It's good, but it's not great.

Agree with you enhance, it couldn't have been an easy task trying to prepare for this game. Exactly why I'm trying to reserve judgement until we get a few games where we have tape on opponents. Obviously that doesn't excuse sloppy tackling................goes without saying.

It wasn't so much SoMiss outplayed them because of the play calling, it was the glaring lack of sound fundamentals. The LB's did alright. A couple of good plays by Compton and the secondary seemed to be ok but since SoMiss didn't pass a ton, I don't think they were really tested. But the D-line...Holy crap they looked horrid.

I'm still lost on why we line up our dline a yard off the ball. Anyone know??

I'm also dumbfounded that we cant get any pressure with our front four ever!!!!

Watching Bamas dline pisses me off!! Thats what i want at Nebraska! Why cant we do that and get guys in that can do it???

I was watching the d-line during the game...looking for some sign of improvement or what have you. I was shocked at the number of times I saw them getting just physically beaten by the opposing o-line. Nothing about being in the right or wrong place...they were just being physically dominated. I saw numerous times where they were engaged with one of the offensive lineman and it looked like they were about to be bent over backward at the waist. I'm not naive enough to believe they should all be 325lbs of Greek god ripped steel that scares priests, children, chickens, and the general public before heading upfield to "know" the QB, but it would be nice to see some more explosive play that results in them marginally disrupting the other team's efforts.

As for Bama...that d-line seemed to be populated with NFL ready players. Athletic 300lbers that seemed to dwarf some of the Michigan o-lineman. Impressive to watch. Too bad we can't have Suh do some recruiting for us...or as a previous commentor stated, clone that man.