game replay

mwj98

There was a story on Omaha.com that was posted earlier today that talked about that. Martinez audibled to the route, but since the way the formation was set up Turner couldn't cross the line without it being a penalty. Taariq Allen didn't move just to be certain. Great play that sort of reminded me of the play against Wisky where we went trips to one side, the two outside men ran hard button hooks and the inside guy ran a flag. CBs bit on the hooks leaving the Safety having to travel a long way to make a play.

I must have been starving for Husker football. Watched the game live yesterday, watched it on DVR this afternoon, now switching between the replay on BTN and the Bo Pelini show ...

What did Bo have to say about our defense yesterday?

I was going to post in the "What did we learn" thread that I watched the show and learned ... nothing.

Basic coach-speak all the way around. He said several times that we had a lot of things that we needed to improve upon and we're no where near where we need to be. Nothing specific.

There was a story on Omaha.com that was posted earlier today that talked about that. Martinez audibled to the route, but since the way the formation was set up Turner couldn't cross the line without it being a penalty. Taariq Allen didn't move just to be certain. Great play that sort of reminded me of the play against Wisky where we went trips to one side, the two outside men ran hard button hooks and the inside guy ran a flag. CBs bit on the hooks leaving the Safety having to travel a long way to make a play.

Pretty impressive by both Martinez and Turner:

As soon as Jamal Turner identified Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez's audible, he turned toward the sideline and locked eyes with his position coach.

The third-down call midway through the first quarter was originally a run, but Southern Mississippi stacked the box and exposed a vulnerability downfield. Martinez saw it, and signaled toward Kenny Bell to go long.

Trouble was, the initial design had Turner aligned between Bell and Taariq Allen in a way that he couldn't cross the line of scrimmage before the pass was released. Against the rules. He knew it. So when the ball was snapped, he was statue-still. Allen did the same, too, just in case.

Full OWH Article

Pretty impressive by both Martinez and Turner:

As soon as Jamal Turner identified Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez's audible, he turned toward the sideline and locked eyes with his position coach.

The third-down call midway through the first quarter was originally a run, but Southern Mississippi stacked the box and exposed a vulnerability downfield. Martinez saw it, and signaled toward Kenny Bell to go long.

Trouble was, the initial design had Turner aligned between Bell and Taariq Allen in a way that he couldn't cross the line of scrimmage before the pass was released. Against the rules. He knew it. So when the ball was snapped, he was statue-still. Allen did the same, too, just in case.

Full OWH Article

I don't know if I buy all that. It looks like they are working on something for later in the year. How about the a few plays earlier when we had four wideouts, two on each side with one behind the other? I think we might have used that last year. Pretty good variety on formations.