Judge: Mass. must pay for killer's sex change

I'll echo everyone else - awesome of you to share VA.

I'm in agreement with this, but why treat this condition by modifying the body to match the brain anomaly? Why not try to fix the brain anomaly? That seems a more "correct" way to fix this issue.

That'd be the more reasonable route if it were possible, but then we'd have to ask ourselves if this is morally correct. I don't know many homosexuals, but from what I've read online and the discussions I've had with the one homosexual I know personally, they adamantly dislike of the idea that they choose it. They believe it's who they are and it's a part of them, exactly like my attraction to members of the opposite sex. Is it ethical to try and 'fix the gay', or in this case, 'fix the transgender?'

I think you contributed to the the homosexual thread we have on this forum, and I believe you think along the same lines as I do, so I'm not trying to paint you one way or the other. :thumbs

I think it's an interesting debate question - do people see a moral issue in fixing the brain over fixing the physical body parts, if the brain change were possible?

Whoa there. Homosexuality is not in any way comparable to transgender issues, at least not in my opinion. Homosexuality is simply who, or which gender, you're attracted to sexually. It's not in any way the same as thinking you're something you're not (and I know I can't make that black-and-white statement in bold, but I don't have time to type this and I'm rushing).

I'm viewing transgender as something more like Body dysmorphic disorder. This is a diagnosable, treatable (allegedly) condition. How is transgender different?

Whoa there. Homosexuality is not in any way comparable to transgender issues, at least not in my opinion. Homosexuality is simply who, or which gender, you're attracted to sexually. It's not in any way the same as thinking you're something you're not (and I know I can't make that black-and-white statement in bold, but I don't have time to type this and I'm rushing).

I'm viewing transgender as something more like Body dysmorphic disorder. This is a diagnosable, treatable (allegedly) condition. How is transgender different?

that does make your point much more clear, but i think just the notion of 'changing the brain' conjures up the thought of how homosexuality was once dealt with. but your comparison of body dysmorphia seems like a pretty apt comparison as well.

I think sd'sker hit what I was trying to get at - what you were describing sounded a lot like trying to fix homosexuality. The two are comparable only in the way that they're not considered societal norms. Otherwise the two are very, very different.

I assumed that's not what you meant, but manipulating the brain is exactly how people thought we could deal with homosexuality. And personally, I find the two similar in that I don't think they're correctable mental disorders, and even if you could correct them, I don't know if it'd be morally correct.

I think sd'sker hit what I was trying to get at - what you were describing sounded a lot like trying to fix homosexuality. The two are comparable only in the way that they're not considered societal norms. Otherwise the two are very, very different.

I assumed that's not what you meant, but manipulating the brain is exactly how people thought we could deal with homosexuality. And personally, I find the two similar in that I don't think they're correctable mental disorders, and even if you could correct them, I don't know if it'd be morally correct.

Yeah, this is all true, which is why I really hesitated to say what I said. But I figured we're all grown-ups here, and with some explanations for my admittedly fumble-footed initial post, I wouldn't get raked over the coals.

Yeah, this is all true, which is why I really hesitated to say what I said. But I figured we're all grown-ups here, and with some explanations for my admittedly fumble-footed initial post, I wouldn't get raked over the coals.

It's all good. I didn't think there was anything ignorant in your post so I was simply trying to better understand your point of view.