Here's why Football 101 has been on hiatus the last two years

knapplc

Now I cannot be mad. 66 years old? But if they do not let her do it then they get sued for discrimination. I am really glad I am not familiar with this person.

you do not really believe that, do you?

Why not? That's the path we're headed down. Make everything a perfect world for everyone. If something bad happens to someone, someone or somethings to blame because no way is that particular person at fault. And when someone does screw up "accidently"-because those do actually happen time to time-we have to make a law or rules that ruins convenience for everyone, again in an effort for that "perfect world". Just another way so peope dont really have to think for themselves.

• Fire 1

Yep. We're screwed. The world as a whole I mean. Seriously. Morons like are runnin the country.

i do not know how true that is. it is an easy position to take, because then complex tort issues can be boiled down to just a epidemic of idiots. there are a lot of cases labeled as 'frivolous' that are quite reasonable. this may or may not be one of those, but it is never a good idea to rush to judgment.

Hesitancy in judgment is the only true mark of the thinker.

- by Runes, Dagobert D.

No. No. And NO. People like this should take into account of risks of certain activities. She's 64 frickin years old. Think before you take part in physical activity voluntarily that involves people beating on other people. She voluntarily went to the event. She voluntarily took part in the activity. An accident happened. Too bad. Why should anyone(thing) else have to pay for her error in judgement. Hence, that is the problem. No one is held a accountable( chuckleshuffle ) anymore. People cant accept the fact that they screwed up so they look for an excuse and paycheck to go with it. This country is so sue-happy it makes me sick. She coulda slipped on her front step that same morning and received the same injuries. Punitive damages, medical bills, whatever. She shouldnt get a cent regardless. Tough love.

I compete in demolition derbies. About 10 times a year actually (yes, I wreck cars for fun, go figure,eh?). Ive been hurt twice and not once ever considered suing anyone. It's my choice to climb in those cars and I know the risks at hand. Maybe more people should start thinking through things before they jump in.

saying america is 'sue happy' is such a convenient worldview. "if only america could end frivolous lawsuits, it would be so much better." the only problem is that is based on a fallacy from an availability heuristic. people who hate the legal system and want to believe that americans are 'sue happy' will be feeding off this story for years. but what other evidence do you have that we, as a nation, are 'sue happy'? so many times these cases are quickly labeled as frivolous when they are quite complex.

i will let cracked.com do the heavy lifting on this argument:

6 Famous 'Frivolous Lawsuit' Stories That Are Total B.S.

the article basically boils down to, "there is always more to the story". do people take advantage of the legal system? yes. is there an epidemic? no. your argument is taking an extreme view that she screwed up and she should deal with it. well, i can take the other extreme. did those women use reasonable force in demonstrating the exercise, or did the excitement make them lose control and exert unnecessary force? who will hold them accountable for their lack of judgment and self-control? and what about beck? he is a football coach and he sees a lady get pummeled because of the demonstration he was overseeing. and then after the lady seems injured, he ignores her? who will hold his negligence accountable? what standard of care did he owe her? at least a second check on her to further evaluate the need for medical attention?

i am not saying i agree with that argument, but there are two sides to this. it is too easy just to demonize someone and dismiss the larger issue. there is comfort knowing that only stupid people make life unbearable and you can shield yourself from it by just by being better than that. but that is not the case. surely this lady did not wake up that morning hoping to need brain surgery and hoping to become embroiled in a lawsuit just to make a buck. and who knows how her insurance plays into all of this. my point is that it is usually more complicated and that we should be accountable to ourselves and each other to make fair judgments and not rush to conclusions.

• Fire 3

Now I cannot be mad. 66 years old? But if they do not let her do it then they get sued for discrimination. I am really glad I am not familiar with this person.

Why not? That's the path we're headed down. Make everything a perfect world for everyone. If something bad happens to someone, someone or somethings to blame because no way is that particular person at fault. And when someone does screw up "accidently"-because those do actually happen time to time-we have to make a law or rules that ruins convenience for everyone, again in an effort for that "perfect world". Just another way so peope dont really have to think for themselves.

because, a demonstration at a charity gathering does not owe that protection to anyone. those grounds are just made up. just like women can not sue augusta for discrimination, nor could an old person from being prohibited for a demonstrative football drill. participation in football drills is not a protected right, nor would it be for a private foundation.

Yep. We're screwed. The world as a whole I mean. Seriously. Morons like are runnin the country.

i do not know how true that is. it is an easy position to take, because then complex tort issues can be boiled down to just a epidemic of idiots. there are a lot of cases labeled as 'frivolous' that are quite reasonable. this may or may not be one of those, but it is never a good idea to rush to judgment.

Hesitancy in judgment is the only true mark of the thinker.

- by Runes, Dagobert D.

No. No. And NO. People like this should take into account of risks of certain activities. She's 64 frickin years old. Think before you take part in physical activity voluntarily that involves people beating on other people. She voluntarily went to the event. She voluntarily took part in the activity. An accident happened. Too bad. Why should anyone(thing) else have to pay for her error in judgement. Hence, that is the problem. No one is held a accountable( chuckleshuffle ) anymore. People cant accept the fact that they screwed up so they look for an excuse and paycheck to go with it. This country is so sue-happy it makes me sick. She coulda slipped on her front step that same morning and received the same injuries. Punitive damages, medical bills, whatever. She shouldnt get a cent regardless. Tough love.

I compete in demolition derbies. About 10 times a year actually (yes, I wreck cars for fun, go figure,eh?). Ive been hurt twice and not once ever considered suing anyone. It's my choice to climb in those cars and I know the risks at hand. Maybe more people should start thinking through things before they jump in.

saying america is 'sue happy' is such a convenient worldview. "if only america could end frivolous lawsuits, it would be so much better." the only problem is that is based on a fallacy from an availability heuristic. people who hate the legal system and want to believe that americans are 'sue happy' will be feeding off this story for years. but what other evidence do you have that we, as a nation, are 'sue happy'? so many times these cases are quickly labeled as frivolous when they are quite complex.

i will let cracked.com do the heavy lifting on this argument:

6 Famous 'Frivolous Lawsuit' Stories That Are Total B.S.

the article basically boils down to, "there is always more to the story". do people take advantage of the legal system? yes. is there an epidemic? no. your argument is taking an extreme view that she screwed up and she should deal with it. well, i can take the other extreme. did those women use reasonable force in demonstrating the exercise, or did the excitement make them lose control and exert unnecessary force? who will hold them accountable for their lack of judgment and self-control? and what about beck? he is a football coach and he sees a lady get pummeled because of the demonstration he was overseeing. and then after the lady seems injured, he ignores her? who will hold his negligence accountable? what standard of care did he owe her? at least a second check on her to further evaluate the need for medical attention?

i am not saying i agree with that argument, but there are two sides to this. it is too easy just to demonize someone and dismiss the larger issue. there is comfort knowing that only stupid people make life unbearable and you can shield yourself from it by just by being better than that. but that is not the case. surely this lady did not wake up that morning hoping to need brain surgery and hoping to become embroiled in a lawsuit just to make a buck. and who knows how her insurance plays into all of this. my point is that it is usually more complicated and that we should be accountable to ourselves and each other to make fair judgments and not rush to conclusions.

Way too many facts to back up your argument. I prefer the angry because this case is bs approach. Sure the sue-happy assumption is not true as I implied that I believe it is. If this were a discussion in person you would easily understand that my comments were stemming from anger of a particular situation. Still though, I stand on the argument that sh#t happens and if she aint to blame, then why is anyone else? If she cant afford it, and her insurance wont pay, then why should the foundation? Yes, I slurred out a bunch of bs-which I normally do anyway-to make this point, but it is my point.

because, a demonstration at a charity gathering does not owe that protection to anyone. those grounds are just made up. just like women can not sue augusta for discrimination, nor could an old person from being prohibited for a demonstrative football drill. participation in football drills is not a protected right, nor would it be for a private foundation.

There's always that little loophole that gets exposed. That's all I'm sayin. We have(had) an actual "right" to bear arms too.

Way too many facts to back up your argument. I prefer the angry because this case is bs approach. Sure the sue-happy assumption is not true as I implied that I believe it is. If this were a discussion in person you would easily understand that my comments were stemming from anger of a particular situation. Still though, I stand on the argument that sh#t happens and if she aint to blame, then why is anyone else? If she cant afford it, and her insurance wont pay, then why should the foundation? Yes, I slurred out a bunch of bs-which I normally do anyway-to make this point, but it is my point.

obviously i think you have a valid argument, otherwise i would not have spent so much time refuting it. but you talk about traumatic brain injury as if it is just a risk of daily life; i am not ready to accept it as simply as that. i am not saying that whenever this is traumatic brain injury, there is always someone else at fault. however, because it is traumatic brain injury, that instantly tells me there is probably more to the story than there appears.

Morgan's "facts" don't make logistical sense, or at the very least, common sense. Why would Beck not inform people participating in the drills about what's about to happen? Did medical staff really not come and check on her? Given the apparent severity of the injury, Beck left her alone on the sidelines? Beck had no reservations about letting a 66-year-old woman do this?

Furthermore, knapplc said the coaches asked for volunteers when he attended with his wife - Morgan alleges they didn't ask this time? Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster can answer me this question - if I want to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, ask a friend to join me, and they say yes, I am not responsible for any injuries they may or may not sustain, correct? I think it's a similar idea here - if you volunteer for something, the fault lies with you if there's the inherent possibility of injury.

Another important question to ask is just how trustworthy Morgan's recollection is. She's 66 and suffered a "traumatic brain injury."

We haven't heard Beck's side of the story yet nor anything from the other defendants, so we'll have to wait and here what more of the facts are. Right now, there are a lot of questions that have to be answered. I'd be inclined, at the present moment, to believe she's not wholly telling the truth. We shall see.

Morgan's "facts" don't make logistical sense, or at the very least, common sense. Why would Beck not inform people participating in the drills about what's about to happen? Did medical staff really not come and check on her? Given the apparent severity of the injury, Beck left her alone on the sidelines? Beck had no reservations about letting a 66-year-old woman do this?

Furthermore, knapplc said the coaches asked for volunteers when he attended with his wife - Morgan alleges they didn't ask this time? Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster can answer me this question - if I want to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge, ask a friend to join me, and they say yes, I am not responsible for any injuries they may or may not sustain, correct? I think it's a similar idea here - if you volunteer for something, the fault lies with you if there's the inherent possibility of injury.

Another important question to ask is just how trustworthy Morgan's recollection is. She's 66 and suffered a "traumatic brain injury."

We haven't heard Beck's side of the story yet nor anything from the other defendants, so we'll have to wait and here what more of the facts are. Right now, there are a lot of questions that have to be answered. I'd be inclined, at the present moment, to believe she's not wholly telling the truth. We shall see.

i agree completely with that. also, you bring up many good questions that will have to be addressed. i also agree that her stories need to fill a lot of wholes if she wants to convince a jury. although, she is probably hoping to settle.

the bridge example is interesting. you assume risk, but negligence still exists. i remember an example of criminal negligence: a friend is going to swim across a lake and you say you will canoe next to him to ensure his safety. you get bored and leave him out there, he drowns. if i remember correctly, you can be charged for criminal negligence (really should have payed more attention, for this very discussion).

It's not just women who attend Football 101. Many husbands go to support their wives.

Let's remember this is a breast cancer fundraiser. It's a charity event that doubles as a fun day for Husker fans, but whose primary purpose is to raise money to help support the fight against an insidious disease that affects hundreds of thousands of women.

That's what burns me so badly about this lawsuit. It's a charity, and someone takes it upon themselves to turn it.... well, I won't finish that thought. Let's just say I hope this is resolved in favor of the charity.