Defensive Numbers Perspective

I wanted to post this because I don't think people realize what they actually saw on Defense last game.

Notice people saying we didn't have any idea what kind of offense USM was going to run and it affected the defensive preperation?

Anyone wondering whether it mattered...Look at these statistics.

On USM's opening drive they ran the ball 6 times for 41 yards and averaged 6.8 yards per carrry.

This drive they only threw the ball one time on a little backfield pass to the halfback in the flat on 2nd and 13 that gained nothing so we really didn't get any insight into their passing game on this drive.

On USM's 2nd drive they showed us the pass. They went 4-6 (66.7%) for 54 yards and a touchdown on that drive.

let me reitterate what that means.

As soon as we saw one full series of their run game our defense gave up:

175 rushing yards on 39 carries. (4.4ypc) and zero touchdowns the entire rest of the game. (50:27)

As soon as we saw one full series of their pass game we gave up:

2 completions on 13 attempts (15.4%) for 21 yards and zero touchdowns the entire rest of the game. (32:31)

Numbers can always be spun into a good or a bad direction. That doesn't mean I'm saying you're wrong to look at it this way. I'm just reserving my judgement on the defense until I've seen some more of them. This week should be similar, with only one game of tape to go off of, so I'll probably just hold out until the Wisconsin game to decide how good this D is.

On the other hand, I'm drunk on kool-aid with the offense! :koolaid2:

we'll find out more this weekend. granted it's after 1 game, but our 81st rushing defense is going up against the #4 rushing offense - on the road. 37 attempts, 343 yards, 4TD, 9.27 YPC. Rice or not, those are some pretty impressive numbers. That compares to our 383 against Washington in 2010 (on 54 attempts), or 328 against Missouri (on 47 attempts). But during those games we didn't have 303 yards passing to go with those rushing numbers like UCLA did Saturday. They are sitting right up there with West Virginia and Oklahoma State (and us) on offense. Our defense is better than Rices, but I still expect them to put up 30 on us. Anything less than 30 will be a victory for the defense I think. I expect a Fresno type game.

we'll find out more this weekend. granted it's after 1 game, but our 81st rushing defense is going up against the #4 rushing offense - on the road. 37 attempts, 343 yards, 4TD, 9.27 YPC. Rice or not, those are some pretty impressive numbers. That compares to our 383 against Washington in 2010 (on 54 attempts), or 328 against Missouri (on 47 attempts). But during those games we didn't have 303 yards passing to go with those rushing numbers like UCLA did Saturday. They are sitting right up there with West Virginia and Oklahoma State (and us) on offense. Our defense is better than Rices, but I still expect them to put up 30 on us. Anything less than 30 will be a victory for the defense I think. I expect a Fresno type game.

I think you underestimate how bad Rice's defense is. I mean, they have defensive backs that would probably lose a foot race to Cameron Meredith.

I don't that UCLA's offense has really improved that much since last season, but they could have some mismatches on our defense, so I guess anything can happen.

My prediction right now is 55-24, by the way. Partly because our offense will score quickly so our defense won't get much rest.

I think you underestimate how bad Rice's defense is. I mean, they have defensive backs that would probably lose a foot race to Cameron Meredith.

I don't that UCLA's offense has really improved that much since last season, but they could have some mismatches on our defense, so I guess anything can happen.

My prediction right now is 55-24, by the way. Partly because our offense will score quickly so our defense won't get much rest.

After watching Southern Miss I could almost say the same about their D though. And UCLA did that on the road (not that Rice is in any way an intimidating place to play), but it would have been even worse if they were home. Nebraska has failed to take care of business far too many times against opponents similar to Rice for me to write off what UCLA did as nothing.

After watching Southern Miss I could almost say the same about their D though.

I don't know about that, the guy that chased down Rex can run a sub 4.5 40 and they are actually a pretty speedy defense, just not very big.

After watching Southern Miss I could almost say the same about their D though.

Iz9axW.gif