What We Learned

walksalone

1. Everytime we get cocky, we get taken down a peg or two (see: Texas 2010)

2. I have no doubt that Martinez's mechanics as a quarterback have improved. I also have no doubt that his decision-making while under pressure hasn't.

3a. Shawn Watson told Tim Beck that calling pass plays when it's fully established that the run game is effective and it's also fully established that the passing game isn't works.

3b. Tim believed him.

4. The word "consistency" is taboo within the Husker football program.

5. So are form tackling drills.

6. We're not getting closer to the '90's, no matter how much we want to believe we are.

• Fire 1

-Martinez has not progressed like husker fans have hoped

-Our line play on both sides of the ball is lackluster...we got pushed around a lot

-Kenny Bell is a boss

-Ameer Abdullah has a bright future, but we missed Rex Burkhead tonight

-We need a leader of the defensive side of the ball

-Losing Dennard and David hurt just as much as I feared it would

-Pelini isn't the defensive godsend that we all thought he was

When put under pressure, people revert to old habits.....see Taylor Martinez & any golfer that's tried to change their swing.

Agreed

Agreed

Not sure Rex would have done much better tonight with the play calling

Agreed wholeheartedly

Amen!

We need more than Compton in the middle on the majority of plays, and then when he leaves to cover someone we're f&*%$&*&$d!

I learned that my four year old daughter has a better grasp of tackling fundamentals than the defensive starters on our team. What's funny is that this is true--she came at me full force to give me a hug because she felt bad about the loss, and she tackled me for a loss. Anyone on that D, save for SJB, should be worried that she'll walk-on next year.

We should give her a scholarship. She's probably better than Meredith.

8. Nebraska has a very bad defense.

A UCLA fan can see it. Hey there UCLA fan, what do you think about our patty-cake non-attacking style of defense? I think it's pretty frustrating when the other team is pretty much guaranteed 3 yards per carry simply because of our defensive scheme. Is Bo going to ride this 2-gap style D to the firing block or is he going to get his head out of his ass and realize we don't have good enough athletes to run it?

1. The Mets blow goats for nickels

2. No mention should be made of Blackshirts until next season

3. We need to stop trying to be so cute on offense

4. Becks play calling is detrimental

5. We got roped on a bunch of calls

??

Because of the Mets/Braves game going long due to the rain delay

This is the only thing important that should be taken from this game. The game is over.

1) The team can move forward in two ways from this game.

----A) This game can totally demoralize the team. They can learn nothing and when the Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Northwestern games roll around, we could be in for the same result, or worse.

----B) This game could inspire the team to become better than what they put on the field tonight. They can learn what they did wrong and have the motivation to fix it and when the Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Northwestern games come around, we could be in for pleasant surprises and win those games.

What I hope is understood is that this game was an across the boards breakdown of offensive, defensive, and special teams personnel and coaches.

-Offense gave up on the running game later in the game. Taylor forced a pick, the offensive line started to get pushed around, WRs dropped passes.

-Defense gave up too many big plays way too often. They bent, but they didn't break, but they broke way too much in the first half.

-Special teams, well that's self-explanatory. Missed FG, bad punts...

But this must also be taken away from that game. If we would've played better, we would've won. UCLA played it's best game and we played a sub-par game. But it's not a game of could have, should have, would have, it's a game of what happened. UCLA flat out played better than we did.

The important thing is what we learn going forward.

Coaching:

-Bo needs to man up and take some constructive criticism to get his defense better.

-Beck with 3 mins left and all three timeouts, YOU CAN STILL RUN THE BALL.

-Papuchis and Bo STOP WAITING FOR HALFTIME TO MAKE YOUR ADJUSTMENTS WHEN THE OTHER TEAM IS MOVING THE BALL ON YOU AT WILL.

Offense:

-Still can't rely on them to win a game, but I think they put on a fair showing

Defense:

-They should ashamed of themselves, exclusion Ciante Evans who played his heart out.

-Whaley, welcome to the bench, SANTOS you're up.

-PJ Smith, the bench has missed you

-Compton stop feeling yourself, when your teammates is lets up 372 yards in a half DON'T GET UP SHOUTING

-Stafford you are a liability in passing, and not a sure tackler (you take piss poor angles and shoelace tackle)... Oh yeah welcome to the bench

-WHAT IS IT WITH THIS DEFENSE THAT WHEN THEY GET TO BALL CARRIER THEY STOP RUNNING, AND LET THEM DANCE FOR A FEW MORE YARDS.

DLINE: because ya'll are all types of messed up

-Dline, except maybe Ankrah, slap yourself.

-They can't get off blocks, until the runner has got 2 yards

-They can't get pressure

-When they finally get the QB they don't know how to tackle

-Rotating for the sake of rotating sucks.

-They can't tackle

Special Teams

-Brett Maher you are a walking liability, from punting to field goals, it is time for someone else to get a shot

*****Special note to BO take the criticism and learn from it, if you don't like the criticism you aren't ready to handle a major program.

Well... had this in the discussion thread, so I'll say the same thing.

Martinez is not keeping that promise. He's clearly better, but chokes under pressure. And he's running out of time... he's clearly trying very hard, but he's a Junior. I find it ironic that he beat Cody Green to get the QB job, yet he seems to have the same kinds of faults... faults that just don't make you a great QB.

DL is young... they have an excuse. The secondary should know better, and their tackling fundamentals are terrible. It's getting hard to watch... either teach them correctly, or get someone else who can.

Maher just doesn't have his mojo... I dunno how much longer they can keep him in the top spot like this. Pelini's offensive scheme puts a TON of weight on ball position and points from kicks, PATs or FGs. Maher is not going to make Pelini happy at this rate.

The O-line looked alright last week. Now... well, we see what happens when they play against a defense that's fast and tough. If they can't run, Martinez' entire playbook is shot, because he's not a pocket passer.

Weirdly enough, I don't think they missed Burkhead. It's doubtful he'd have made a difference late in the game. I mean there were other RBs to try, and Beck apparently forgot they were there. There's trying to keep them fresh, and then there's leaving Cross on the bench the entire game. Beck should've switched them around more often, they all have their own strengths.

And finally... I understand that the coaching staff as well as the head coach are lacking in experience and need time, but they're going to need some positive results here pretty quick. If it doesn't look like you're learning anything, then people wonder why they're giving you more chances. If you're still losing due to bad tackling and bad offensive calls... whoever's in charge of them clearly isn't working.

I won't go so far as saying Pelini needs to go, but he's gonna need to shake up the personnel again if things don't improve. And he can only shake up the personnel so many times before people start to think it's not the personnel, but who hires them. Pelini's losing clout, I'm sure even he's aware of this.